Not open for further replies.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
Cant believe I've not seen but 1 story like this before the last 30- days
but maybe 15-20 off these in the last 30 day's

http:// on.aol. com/video/e-cigarette-explodes-like-firework-in-couples-home-517954477?hp=1&playlist=127164&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D385301

E-Cigarette Explodes Like Firework in Couple's Home - AOL On

Last edited by a moderator:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Seems like they are always some ego. Quality control problem maybe? Its so hard to tell, there are so many variables involved. Whether it be an inexperienced user or a cheap ego in one of those blister packs. The saying is normally, "more expensive doesn't always mean better". In the case of batteries, I will pay a few bucks more and stick with the reputable manufacturers. I understand that doesn't guarantee safety, but the $10 no name ego's scare me!
Edit: watched the video again. Maybe wasn't an ego! Still doesn't change my opinion of no name gear when dealing with batteries!

Last edited:

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
And I'm afraid as we see more of the "cloud chasing sub ohm" stuff it's gonna get worse. People that have NO business even running anything but an ego and stock stuff are asking questions I can't believe in a couple of my local forums I frequent. I try to send them here but I don't think they do enough research.

Somewhere, in the quest to find "what works" some of us at least, have forgotten why we started vaping to begin with. To stop cigarettes. Now we have brand new people building sub ohm coils on substandard battery delivery systems. When I say new I mean new to rechargeable batteries, new to coil building and well, simply put all of it. Until we can somehow get people to understand both the positive and negative outcomes, people will continue to make the news. ((rant over now))

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
It's another instance of someone using the USB port on their computer to charge the e-cig. It seems that the majority of these issues are popping up with charging from the computer USB, car charger, incorrect wall charger, etc.

People believe (wrongly) that because they can charge their cell phone from anything that has a USB port, they should be able to do the same with e-cigs. They aren't aware that consumer electronic devices that have USB charging capability also incorporate safety circuits that prevent incorrect input voltage and overcharging. The same isn't true for low end e-cigs, such as all the eGo clones on the market.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
The increase of these events is not my point
if you do a search youll find tons of theses things with cell phones and other type of batteries

more my point is these stories are all over the main stream news much more
only since the FDA announced possible regulations

before that you only seen this stuff once in a blue now every day there is another negative article or video
some times completely unfounded a lot of times pointing to some study done on a few Chinese liquids something like 4 years ago

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
if you do a search youll find tons of theses things with cell phones and other type of batteries

before that you only seen this stuff once in a blue now every day there is another negative article or video
some times completely unfounded a lot of times pointing to some study done on a few Chinese liquids something like 4 years ago

Fear-mongering sells papers and gets website traffic. E-cigs are a hot topic right now due to the pending FDA ruling and the recent local / state legislation. Media outlets are not going to let a good fear-mongering campaign slip by without cashing in on some of it.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
Fear-mongering sells papers and gets website traffic. E-cigs are a hot topic right now due to the pending FDA ruling and the recent local / state legislation. Media outlets are not going to let a good fear-mongering campaign slip by without cashing in on some of it.

they can fear monger anything they always seem to fear monger in a way for the majority to agree with certain things
And don't think it has so much to do with ratings when the news keeps pushing things that drive down there ratings
there's a lot more going on there
and always seem that the majority of the main stream news always agree
not going to get too deep on this but hopefully some people may think and research a little more when the new don't make sense
eciggs is only 1 of many things this applies to

newconvert

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Colorado

actually in the construction sector, any workplace that has heavy oversight on safety this and many more examples are constantly being beaten into our minds. for years the problems have been published, OSHA track all these incidents, and does papers on them, like anything else information can be used to put a bias on in this case vaping.... wonder if tobacco has any input on this issue?

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
It's another instance of someone using the USB port on their computer to charge the e-cig. It seems that the majority of these issues are popping up with charging from the computer USB, car charger, incorrect wall charger, etc.

People believe (wrongly) that because they can charge their cell phone from anything that has a USB port, they should be able to do the same with e-cigs. They aren't aware that consumer electronic devices that have USB charging capability also incorporate safety circuits that prevent incorrect input voltage and overcharging. The same isn't true for low end e-cigs, such as all the eGo clones on the market.

Right. I also feel some vendors & manufacturers are to blame. I see many ego style batteries sold with just the usb charger, so what is the end user supposed to think? I know someone who recently bought a kit and it came with just the usb charger, so it's being charged via his computer. There were no instructions or warnings whatsoever with the kit concerning battery safety.

I just pulled out the documentation that came with the ego kit I still use today. The writing is so small I need a magnifying glass to read it. Although the kit came with a wall charger, the documentation states "Plug the supplied battery charger into a computers USB port or into the supplied wall adapter." I must admit that I originally charged the ego battery using the USB port on my computer (hey, the instructions said so), but now use the wall adapter exclusively.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Right. I also feel some vendors & manufacturers are to blame. I see many ego style batteries sold with just the usb charger, so what is the end user supposed to think? I know someone who recently bought a kit and it came with just the usb charger, so it's being charged via his computer. There were no instructions or warnings whatsoever with the kit concerning battery safety.

I just pulled out the documentation that came with the ego kit I still use today. The writing is so small I need a magnifying glass to read it. Although the kit came with a wall charger, the documentation states "Plug the supplied battery charger into a computers USB port or into the supplied wall adapter." I must admit that I originally charged the ego battery using the USB port on my computer (hey, the instructions said so), but now use the wall adapter exclusively.
This morning I went to my favorite ecig store to stock up on some supplies.
1 item on my shopping list was a couple new eGo chargers.

Told the salesman I wanted 2 eGo chargers and he handed me
2 USB chargers ... no box, no instructions, and no printed information.
just 2 USB chargers.

I said I wanted the wall adapters also ...
So he handed me 2 wall adapters ... no box, no instructions, and no printed information.

I guess the assumption is everyone on the planet just assumes
you can put batteries in any charger for as long as you want including overnight
with no worries or possible consequences ... so why would anyone need instructions
or warnings.

This is NOT just an e-cig rechargeable battery issue.

Edit:
The public assumes everything is safe unless
there are obvious printed warning labels and disclaimers.
Well ... we do live in a Nanny State and most insist on a Nanny State
to hold our hands and change our diapers ... No one is responsible for their
own actions and no one needs to do any research.

Last edited:

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
"The public assumes everything is safe unless
own actions and no one needs to do any research.".....

This is exactly right. From warnings on coffee to go to ecigs....

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
This morning I went to my favorite ecig store to stock up on some supplies.
Edit:
The public assumes everything is safe unless
own actions and no one needs to do any research.

Ever watch the TV show, Monk? He has OCD and he is afraid of everything. I'd hate to have to live that way. I don't think that it is wrong or stupid to assume that a product is safe to consume or use unless marked otherwise.

If there are ways to use something that could create problems, it is the moral duty of the company that makes the product to supply the proper warnings and/or instructions and to require those the company entrusts to sell the products to include that information with each item sold. Unfortunately, many product makers just don't care and that's how we end up with products being regulated to high heaven.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
FDA_Warning_zps9c773674.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread