Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
In the news today...

ecig blows up in customers pants at a gas station.

E-Cigarette Battery Explodes, Burns Man's Leg

WOW! That was IINSANE.

I have read many stories of an e-Cigarette Exploding and or Burning Someone. But I have Never seen one where there was Video of it Actually Happening. It looked like he had a Road Flare in his pocket for a Second.

Sure Hope that Dude is OK.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yet another failed chance for the media to actually help others, by stating do not put batteries in your pocket, with change or keys.
Another successful story aimed at demonizing e-cigs.

Has it been Verified that it Was a lose Battery that Vented and Not an e-Cigarette in his pocket?

Reactions: KY_Rob

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This was from the Article in the Other Threads Link.

"A Kentucky man was hospitalized Tuesday with second-degree burns after the battery in his electronic cigarette exploded in his pants pocket."

E-Cigarette Battery Explodes, Burning Man's Leg

So if that is Correct (kinda a Big If when it comes to this kind of News Article), it Doesn't sound like it was a Lose Battery that Shorted on something like a set of Keys.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
a similar post ended up in general liquid today, where I asked:
Have any of the so called reporters attempted to reach the victim Josh In Kentucky for comment?
Does anyone know the battery type or other pocket contents? I'd posted elsewhere its easy enough
to find and carry single cell cylinder cases or the 2 battery square cases. I recommend www.rtdvapor.com
but see what your own supplier offers..most are less than a buck USD and isnt that worth the peace of mind?
Cheers.

Reactions: nicnik

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
They just had a report on this on the NBC nightly news. We were eating dinner at the time so I didn't "see" the whole thing, but at one point when I looked at the TV, it appeared to be a photo of a burned/exploded 18650 and a interview with a vape shop owner talking about battery safety, loose coins, etc... and he held out a battery carrying case (those little plastic ones that I'm sure we all have). So sensationalized headline and opening to the story, followed up with actual battery and safety info.

So it wasn't an "e-cig battery", just a battery

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
They just had a report on this on the NBC nightly news. We were eating dinner at the time so I didn't "see" the whole thing, but at one point when I looked at the TV, it appeared to be a photo of a burned/exploded 18650 and a interview with a vape shop owner talking about battery safety, loose coins, etc... and he held out a battery carrying case (those little plastic ones that I'm sure we all have). So sensationalized headline and opening to the story, followed up with actual battery and safety info.

So it wasn't an "e-cig battery", just a battery
I found the NBC piece online:

Video Shows E-Cigarette Explosion That Put Man in Hospital - NBC News

They said it was a "spare battery".

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Reactions: Nanny22

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    They said it was a "spare battery".
    I read from a link in another thread about this thing that he (the 'victim') said it was a spare battery. He is an idiot, but I hope he gets OK. He sure is getting his 15 minutes..

nicnik

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 20, 2015
    Illinois, USA
    I read from a link in another thread about this thing that he (the 'victim') said it was a spare battery. He is an idiot, but I hope he gets OK. He sure is getting his 15 minutes..
    Yeah, I mistated that. The anchor said that the victim said it was a spare battery. Maybe not an idiot, but someone who had no idea of danger in pocketing it with keys, etc. Or an idiot.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Maybe not an idiot, but someone who had no idea of danger in pocketing it with keys, etc. Or an idiot..
    If he's an idiot for not knowing about pocketing a battery with keys or change...
    Then I would guess approximately 60% of the population is an idiot.

I was just such an idiot before learning what I've learned on this forum.
    And I'm not an idiot, for whatever that's worth to the "must be an idiot" crowd.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread