Wow tobacco shops are really behind vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubiccube

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Iowa
SARCASM

I went into one today just checking out what they had, hoping that someone around here would carry something just incase we stop being able to order online. The lady at the counter explained to me that they have had them here and there, but t really keep them in stock. I said thanks and started to leave, then she stopped me and said "You know that you can't just use those by themselves right?"

I asked her what she was talking about, and she told me that I STILL NEED TO SMOKE while using them, because PG by itself will cause depression... :-x

I explained to her that nicotine is an antidepressant no matter what I get it from and I have been smoke free for over 2 weeks(day one was the day I got my Blu!) with no need for analogs. Also that studies over the last 50 years have never shown that to be the case. I said that the most I have from it is I get a little dehydrated when I don't drink enough water, and that she should do some research before telling people incorrect things about a device that could potentially save lives.

Wewt for misinformation! I hate people so much sometimes.

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
I asked her what she was talking about, and she told me that I STILL NEED TO SMOKE while using them, because PG by itself will cause depression... :-x

I explained to her that nicotine is an antidepressant no matter what I get it from and I have been smoke free for over 2 weeks(day one was the day I got my Blu!) with no need for analogs. Also that studies over the last 50 years have never shown that to be the case. I said that the most I have from it is I get a little dehydrated when I don't drink enough water, and that she should do some research before telling people incorrect things about a device that could potentially save lives.

Wewt for misinformation! I hate people so much sometimes.

Heh, probably the last thing she's concerned about.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
She was more wrong than she was right, but there was a bit of truth to what she was saying. PG by itself doesn't cause depression, that's just silly. But nicotine (the only active ingredient in ecigs) by itself, does not fully replace tobacco. There are other active ingredients in tobacco with anti-depressant effects, that are not currently found in ecigs. Which is why some people resort to supplementing ecigs with snus to avoid going back to smoking.

Read these two great threads for more info:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ne-maois-towards-more-effective-e-liquid.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/44958-so-we-getting-we-not-nicotine.html

Mosin

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Highland, CA
Nevermind the depression. Did you know that ecigs are not only illegal in California, but they are "10,000 times more dangerous than cigarettes?!" I was informed of this about three weeks ago (my first week vaping and off analogs) when I went into a local smoke shop to see if they had any ecigs in stock, and asked the obviously upsetting question "Do you carry electronic cigaretes?". Explaining to the owner that the Gubernator vetoed the proposed ban, and that there was absolutely no available evidence that e-cigs were dangerous just elicited a blank, pathetic non-response... like, "What do you want me to do about it?". As a week-one evangelist vaper convert I was totally POed, but kept my parting comment to a fairly sarcastic "Well, obviously you don't carry electronic cigarettes. Thanks!" and bailed.

L A M E!!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
We are in the forefront of helping sell e-cigs and what we say to tobacco shop owners has influence. I regularly chat with my favorite shop owner and long ago demonstrated e-cigs to him. He decided to sell some disposables. And did. It worked out well -- then the disposables became unavailable.

On my visit last week, he grinned and said he was now selling electronic cigarettes and cartridges. He showed me two different kits (frankly, I'd never heard of either). But it's a start. He has a sign up that he sells e-cigs.

Lobby your shop owner about smokers needing alternatives -- e-cigs, snus, dissolvables, nasal snuff. Any decent tobacco shop needs to stock those. It's money in their pocket, after all.

JohnnyVapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
Chicago, IL
Lobby your shop owner about smokers needing alternatives -- e-cigs, snus, dissolvables, nasal snuff. Any decent tobacco shop needs to stock those. It's money in their pocket, after all.

So true, TropicalBob. I'm trying to work with a local tobacco shop to carry more alternative tobacco and nicotine devices. More choice can only help us all in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread