[WOW] which asthma medications contain nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
...people with asthma have to be careful because asthma medication contains nicotine - again just a couple examples...
Hmm, interesting. I've never heard that any asthma medication contained nicotine. What I have heard is that some asthma medications have side effects similar to what nicotine does to the body, like increased heart rate and blood vessel constriction. Do you have links for which specific asthma medications contain nicotine?
Is your google search broken or something? You might want to move your post to the health &/or various methods used to avoid the 4600 toxic chemicals in analogs forums. Nic is in all those products, also. Someone more knowledgeable than myself can probably save you the trouble of making an appointment with your md you'll eventually have to make, if you're that hellbent on picking apart my post to avoid the point of this thread (to contact CS at the time you have any issue - not come back months later just to bash - "they didn't do anything" - they can't if you don't call or e-mail them!) And V4L do a lot more than many vendors to help consumers of their products, again, unconditional to repeat business, which is just awesome!
Sorry you're one of the anti-vapers around here just trying to stir up a problem where none exists.
...Comments and irrational fears like yours, invite regulation where they don't have to exist if you would move your concerns here Health, Safety and E-Smoking on ecf, instead of trying to turn my review into your personal crusade...
...Read the section you are in at the top of the page. Do you see Health, Safety and E-Smoking ? No. Do you see Electronic Cigarette Reviews or Cartomizer Issues or even E-Cigarette Maintenance? No. Do you see New Members Forum? No. It says "reviews of Suppliers". Read the sticky by Elandil. Your post is in the wrong forum. No one is going to benefit from either one us going OT with Phyllis. I simply won't discuss the topic on this thread. If you'd like we can pm about it or you can move it where it should be discussed - here>>> Health, Safety and E-Smoking...
Well WOW, I took your advice; I made a thread in Health, Safety, and E-Smoking. Now, are you ready to tell us which asthma medications contain nicotine? I used teh googol, but couldn't find any; you continued to talk down to me in your review thread after making your inaccurate statement about asthma medication when I asked for links to which asthma medications contained nicotine. So, are you going to support your claim?

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
You'll get no answers... You may get a 10-thousand-word thesis on "crazy", but I digress.

There's no nicotine in asthma medications. Very simple.

Cleared up a lot of things for me.

And I can't find nicotine listed in any of my daughter's medications, either. Although based on the now available information, I'm not surprised by that.

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
There is PG though...maybe it got confused.
"Got" would imply that there was a point where there was no confusion. After acquiring more data, I don't believe this is the case.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who has had to deal with this. Perhaps there should be a sticky regarding this issue, so other new members don't make the same mistake I did.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Well WOW, I took your advice; I made a thread in Health, Safety, and E-Smoking. Now, are you ready to tell us which asthma medications contain nicotine? I used teh googol, but couldn't find any; you continued to talk down to me in your review thread after making your inaccurate statement about asthma medication when I asked for links to which asthma medications contained nicotine. So, are you going to support your claim?

Hi jeph! Thanks for posting this here.

Nicotine is not listed on asthma medication as nicotine. It's listed under alternative names that are all classified, medically, as in the family of steroids.

Nicotine is not the main ingredient in asthma medication and rarely if ever addictive in an asthma medication. Combined with various other medications it opens airways in ER inhalors and prevents constricting airways the disease causes, from worsening. There are many types of asthma. You mentioned you had childhood asthma and don't have asthma as an adult. That suggests your asthma was related to allergies. You can 'outgrow' allergies - there's no guaranty they won't come back - some by exposure through injections until the body builds a tolerance. I'm not sure if those type of allergies always lead to asthma or not. There's asthma that is triggered by exposure to a toxic airborne substance, including tobacco smoke, that once you are in an environment where the toxin isn't, your asthma clears up. I obviously, can't say what type of asthma you had a child. Many, many children experience asthma as an internal lack of normal breathing function that worsens with exposure to pollution, moisture or even stress and do not outgrow asthma. They have it their entire lives.

You need to wiki or google "nicotine in medicine/s"(pharmeceuticals) and follow the links that correlate nicotine as a steroid under different names. The issue is the dosage used in asthma medications. The reason for a person to be concerned vaping with nicotine instead of 0-nic, is because mainstream thinking refers to asthma as a disease - lifelong. Childhood asthma is much harder to say will be lifelong or iow, if it's a trigger-asthma (not a disease), it's much harder to find the trigger to any given child. Medicine has improved so I'm not sure this is still the case on diagnostics. Adults are generally tested with high tech breathing machines I would think a child would have a very hard time tolerating. Going OT but, my point here is people generally tend to lump every type of asthma together and call it asthma which is false. ASTHMA is the lifelong impaired function disease with no known cure. Trigger-asthma, while treated the same, has a cure. So does allergic asthma. Both and others when the cause is removed and the symptoms treated, go away. Not true when the impaired function is diagnosed.(and these might have other medical names for them- these are the ones I've heard about)

Yes, asthma medication in high doses can cause all sorts of problems including OD'ing. But, when you talking about racing heart, etc. that is not from the steroid part of an asthma medication. It's from either too much medication or part of an asthma attack. Some people think nicotine is the only ingredient in asthma medication and yes, if they haven't been adequately informed about what asthma is or what their medication is doing, get the idea nicotine in e-cigs can substitute their medication. My point on the other thread to Phyllis mentioned asthma and pacemakers to suggest to her to go to her doctor. google 'cause of metal taste' and you will understand why her blaming e-cigs was baseless. It wasn't to open a dialog about asthma, as you took it.

Children with asthma are generally sheltered from the complicated medical terminology; they have enough problems taking medications that they make cartoon asthma inhalor covers. I certainly don't know all the medical terminology but, stress again, though I'm glad you moved your question here, e-cigs are for adults for a d'mned good reason and vendors' have disclaimers about using them as a substitute or treatment for ANY medical condition for a reason.

Nicotine is drug - a legal drug that when implemented into a pharmaceutical is non-addictive so anyone messing around with pure nicotine and inhalors is playing with fire thinking there's a drug 'high' in it for them. It's in aspirin but is not the main ingredient. It's in cough medication but not the main ingredient.

I didn't want to open this dialog with you outside of this forum so any underage kids lurking around with no understanding of the fact that drugs that are legal if abused will kill you before they give anyone a high get how uncool nicotine is and, if necessary, others around here can back this up. As much as we like to have fun with the actual devices being safer than an analog, we're all vaping as addicts, not wanting an addiction. I haven't met one vapor who's said, "WOW"(not me but the expression-OT but, I have to change my username...) no one has said, "WOW, nicotine!!! Cool! Let's party!" Every last person who decided to vape did so to stop using the most uncool alternative -tobacco. You only get the 'high' feeling because you're vaping 4600 fewer chemicals and it's an accomplishment in health improvement. The 'high' isn't in the nicotine. The only thing in nicotine is the likelihood of becoming an addict.

Again, asthma medication isn't a 'high' drug or addictive, though it does contain small amounts of nicotine under different names and vaping can interfere with how the body absorbs asthma medication or conflict with other medications in those with any illness.

Vapers should tell their physician that they're vaping to avoid any risk of being given a medication that is ineffective while vaping or, worse, deadly and instead of blaming vendors for weird symptoms like metallic tastes (linked to more than two dozen serious illnesses), put the d'mned e-cig down and get to a physician - anything you'd consider off in your health if you didn't smoke or vape, you should first consider something medically wrong vs caused by e-cigs.

Phyllis' post was arsinine.

We otherwise agree on the dangers of kids reading things and thinking it's worth being curious about. Adults should know better. There's enough disclaimers all over the place. The thing about disclaimers is they don't explain what to do, only what not to do. Since e-cigs are classified as tobacco, whether short or long term, there's a higher expectation of leading a healthier lifestyle, the majority of people who vape take upon themselves and part of that means asking difficult questions and giving difficult answers.

I hope your wiki/google search helps you start to answer your question about asthma and if you haven't already - I'd tell your physician you're vaping, especially since you had a form of asthma as a kid.

Sorry to take so long to find your thread about this. I didn't think you'd post it so wasn't looking for it.

Last edited:

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
There is almost too much misinformation here to address, so I will hope that one our members expert in simplifying pharmacology will step in here. But nicotine is nicotine. They don't change the name of it to disguise it in asthma inhalers. And not all asthma inhalers contain a steroid component. As a matter of fact, most "rescue" inhalers, those like ProAir that most people use for their asthma, do not contain steroids, the reason being that the steroid inhalers require time to be effective whereas the ProAir is rapid onset. Depending on the type of inhaler used for chronic asthma, it may or may not contain steroids and/or a bronchodilator, and it is the bronchodilator which can cause the racing heart not some mislabeled/disguised nicotine.

msroulette

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Wow, I think you need to actually understand the things you are reading here and there, and not take them completely out of context. Maybe some psycotherapy is in order. Let me just straighten a couple things for you...

Nicotine is a stimulant, not a steroid

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor not a vasodialator...which would mean it does exactly the opposite thing (constricting bloodflow) that an asthma patient would need.

Propylene Glycol (PG) is the product used in inhalers as a delivery agent for the medication that is needed in the lungs.

Children's inhalers do not use different medical terms on them. Albuterol is albuterol...although marketed under different BRAND names, such as Proventil...children aren't expected to read/understand the terminology on the list of active ingredients. I worked as a pharmacy tech for 7 years, and never once did I see a "cartoon box" holding an inhaler for a child.

Speaking of albuterol, that medication itself is known to raise heart rates. Even I experienced a rapid heart rate when I had previously used it as an adult for bronchitis (it happened once a year until this year when I quit smoking using e-cigs)

Furthermore...some medications used to treat asthma, COPD and other respiratory issues are contraindicated for use WITH nicotine (Theophylline would be one of these).

Do yourself and this entire community some good, and make sure you know what you are talking about before attacking another member, or making your long winded essays about your misunderstandings.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Nicotine is nictotine and classified by the FDA as a drug. What kind of drug do you think it is?
It likely isn't to hide it, though that's possible but it does go by various names and that might be due the end bio-chemical composition of it when used in various medications. Not to panic about. And, yes, I should have clarified some asthma medications. It's not in all of them.

It's such a small amount, in regulated medication, it's nothing to worry about.

Otherwise, exactly what I was saying. Nicotine in asthma meds doesn't cause racing heart or other things jephlewis had a monumental panic attack over. Not to blame. Children don't remember being ill after they grow up.

All I said and still mean that thelook was the only person who got, is if you have any medical condition and vape you need to let your physician know because of possible contradictions in the safety/effectiveness of your medication/keeping your health issues stable.

jeph - you're demanding in the wrong way, btw. If you took my advice you would have just researched this stuff, yourself.

I learned how to read most of inserts on most medications but, I'm not a pharmacologist. You have to suspend doubt when you take any medication that's prescribed for an illness. But, you also have to let your doctor know what your habits are. The benefit of doing so outweighs the risk.

There is almost too much misinformation here to address, so I will hope that one our members expert in simplifying pharmacology will step in here. But nicotine is nicotine. They don't change the name of it to disguise it in asthma inhalers. And not all asthma inhalers contain a steroid component. As a matter of fact, most "rescue" inhalers, those like ProAir that most people use for their asthma, do not contain steroids, the reason being that the steroid inhalers require time to be effective whereas the ProAir is rapid onset. Depending on the type of inhaler used for chronic asthma, it may or may not contain steroids and/or a bronchodilator, and it is the bronchodilator which can cause the racing heart not some mislabeled/disguised nicotine.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Nicotine is not in asthma medications. Period. Please provide me a link to one asthma medication stating that it contains nicotine anywhere in even the fine print of the prescribing information. Ventolin, ProAir, Symbicort, Spiriva, Singulair...I don't care which one, but if you are going to assert something, you should provide some sort of proof of what to most, especially those in the healthcare industry, is an outlandish claim.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Wow, I think you need to actually understand the things you are reading here and there, and not take them completely out of context. Maybe some psycotherapy is in order.

Let me know when you get your appointment - like I care about your irrelevant opinion.

Let me just straighten a couple things for you...

a) steroids are a stimulant b) the effect is only in tobacco products, not medications. c) nicotine is a medication

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor not a vasodialator...which would mean it does exactly the opposite thing (constricting bloodflow) that an asthma patient would need.

again small amounts are needed for one to dispel with a regulating effect the other - in medicine.

Propylene Glycol (PG) is the product used in inhalers as a delivery agent for the medication that is needed in the lungs.

I'll look that up though in over two years of researching asthma medications, I have never seen this. Anything's possible.

Children's inhalers do not use different medical terms on them. Albuterol is albuterol...although marketed under different BRAND names, such as Proventil...children aren't expected to read/understand the terminology on the list of active ingredients. I worked as a pharmacy tech for 7 years, and never once did I see a "cartoon box" holding an inhaler for a child.

You might want to contact the National Asthma and Allergy Association. I got a catalog from them that sells them. Otherwise, again trace amounts. You're making a big deal over nothing, like jeph did. Very counter-productive. As a vaper, your priority is talking directly with your physician since you're not registering the point I'm making. I am not going further on the ingredients thing jeph panicked over. MY only point is if you vape, given the nic, AFIK, is absorbed by the person vaping and not in the exhale, and you have any medical condition, tell your doctor. Tell your physician, regardless. It's your health.

Speaking of albuterol, that medication itself is known to raise heart rates. Even I experienced a rapid heart rate when I had previously used it as an adult for bronchitis (it happened once a year until this year when I quit smoking using e-cigs)

So? Do you read what you post? "happened when I smoked. didn't happen after I quit." Your heart rate was elevated by your smoking not your asthma medication.

Furthermore...some medications used to treat asthma, COPD and other respiratory issues are contraindicated for use WITH nicotine (Theophylline would be one of these).

Why you need to tell your doctor if you haven't already, that you vape - my entire point to Phyllis that jeph turned into a crusade against the point, including against his own point.

Do yourself and this entire community some good, and make sure you know what you are talking about before attacking another member, or making your long winded essays about your misunderstandings.

Do yourself a favor and read what you post - just not while your driving to your medical appointment.

End of discussion. Look it up. Don't harass me with nonsense.

Last edited:

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Nicotine is not in asthma medications. Period. Please provide me a link to one asthma medication stating that it contains nicotine anywhere in even the fine print of the prescribing information. Ventolin, ProAir, Symbicort, Spiriva, Singulair...I don't care which one, but if you are going to assert something, you should provide some sort of proof of what to most, especially those in the healthcare industry, is an outlandish claim.

I think that makes you lazy if I do. After you try, and I mean give it min an hour with the search terms I posted, if you post 5 links you looked at and still don't find it, let me know.

Fair?

msroulette

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Wow, you are completely off your rocker! You misconstrue people's posts...I've watched it over and over. I've even seen the most mellow of people lose their patience with you.

You have been asked several times to link where you find your information about meds containing nicotine, and you refuse to do so, calling everybody else lazy. The fact is, if you can't back up what you said, or refuse to cite your sources, you are either not telling the truth, or lazy yourself.

I won't go any further, you obviously don't like to admit you are misunderstanding what is said to you, what you read, or what you hear.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Wow, you are completely off your rocker! You misconstrue people's posts...I've watched it over and over. I've even seen the most mellow of people lose their patience with you.

Think what you want. The question was posed by jephlewis. I clearly told him I would not do his work for him. Yes - 110% my posting links is dependent on anyone that interested making the effort to try themselves. I'm not a school teacher here. If you think that makes me nuts - it makes me laugh because I can see how seriously in denial most of you guys would like to stay about both your nonsensical (and futile) attempt to bully me into doing what you want, like a bunch of two year olds and your denial. My denial kept me on analogs for a long time. You guys are scared to find it yourselves because you'd have to change your opinion about nic and medicine and taking responsibility for your own health. Or, you have no curiosity to be enthusiastic to look it up yourself. Either way you're trying to hide that flaw in your attacks on me. WHAT-EV-ER!

You have been asked several times to link where you find your information about meds containing nicotine, and you refuse to do so, calling everybody else lazy.

True. So what? It's not secret information or a skill I have and am withholding from anyone. I believe this is called equal opportunity, if I'm not mistaken.

The fact is, if you can't back up what you said, or refuse to cite your sources, you are either not telling the truth, or lazy yourself.

That's a riot! I have the same sources you do if you want to open 6 windows on your browser. I've spent a lot of time fielding your childish assaults and while you're all doing a simple google search, I have better things to do. Unless you do, I'll just take it to mean you're all hellbent on turning every any post I make into YOUR warzone. I honestly don't believe you guys give a #@&! what you do to your health. You're also making people with other worse addictions look tame. They do say it's harder to kick than heroine. Just don't take your addiction woes on me.

I won't go any furtherlol! That's your threat?

, you obviously don't like to admit
admit - strong word if in context I was asking anyone here to do the impossible. D--- straight you're lazy - too lazy for your own good. You ever hear of enabling? I don't do it.

you are misunderstanding what is said to you, what you read, or what you hear.

So? You throw a fit because I do understand? Holy crap! It's a good thing you guys never got addicted to hard drugs.

I'm going to relax. I'll check back later incase jeph would like to share what he found, since I posted the search terms he requested, just not the page contents. Likewise for anyone else.
You either want to grow up or you don't. It's that simple.

Peace is a click away. You guys want to keep fighting, you're wasting YOUR time - not mine.

btw, I do have one question of my own - How did everyone posting for months now, suddenly develop asthma on this thread?

Last edited:

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
I totally agree, SimpleSins. What I was able to dig up about asthma medicine follows:

1. There are generally two types of asthma medicine; 'rescue' and 'prevention' medicine.

2. The 'rescue' type tries to stop the asthma attack that is going on right now. Some medicines in this category are Albuterol and epinephrine. Some of these medicines produce side effects similar to what nicotine does to the body, like faster heart beat. It was my impression that these types of medicines generally tried to simulate some of the effects of adrenalin, and that's how they stopped asthma attacks. I'm not sure if any of the new 'rescue' asthma medicines are designed that way or not. I was unable to find any 'rescue' asthma medicine that contained nicotine.

3. 'Prevention' asthma medicines are usually but not always a steroid; they aren't usually used to treat an asthma attack that is going on, but rather you take these to prevent an asthma attack. Some medicines in this category are Intal and Accolate. Some of these medicines also produce side effects similar to what nicotine does to the body such as high blood pressure. It was my impression that these types of medicines generally try to 'calm' the body down and/or prevent the immune system from going "he just inhaled an asthma trigger! Bronchial spasm time!". I was unable to find any 'prevention' asthma that contained nicotine.

4. Side effects from 'rescue' and 'prevention' medicines aren't always the same with regards to 'it's similar to what nicotine does'.

5. Not counting my memory of my childhood asthma medicines, my sources are:
Inhalers for Asthma | Health | Patient UK
Asthma medicines - information, symptoms and treatments
Asthma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Corticosteroid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jewel Ship

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
depends
Wow, I think you need to actually understand the things you are reading here and there, and not take them completely out of context. Maybe some psycotherapy is in order. Let me just straighten a couple things for you...

This pretty much matches my understanding and experience with asthma medicines and nicotine.

Msroullete, I suspect that the poster you were originally responding to misunderstood what asthma medicine is and how it works, and reached a faulty conclusion because some of the side effects between the two were similar in some ways. I can only guess because that poster has refused to cite their sources, even when asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread