Wrapped carto in tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    So, anyone else use a wrapped carto in their tank? I had bought 50 wrapped before I bought my carto tank, and even tho my cartos last very long, I didn't like the unwrapping part. I sharpened the tip on my saddle valve and was practicing on an unwrapped and it went thru my carto so easy I decided to keep it and threw it in the tank and have 3 wks on it now.

So who came up with the idea that we needed SS? I know some folks were worried about the adhesive getting into their juice/lungs, but has anyone really saw the carto unwrap and fall apart? If I can get 3 wks out of one, the folks that change theirs every few days shouldn't have too much to worry about.

It even looks nice, mine has the VK (vaporkings) logo in white, and on a black ego is quite stealthy. I sharpened the tip on the saddlevalve with a nail file, and it goes thru like butter. Can't hardly even see the hole with the wrapper on it and no big dent.

Reveen

ECF Veteran
    Oct 20, 2011
    South Dakota
    So, anyone else use a wrapped carto in their tank? I had bought 50 wrapped before I bought my carto tank, and even tho my cartos last very long, I didn't like the unwrapping part. I sharpened the tip on my saddle valve and was practicing on an unwrapped and it went thru my carto so easy I decided to keep it and threw it in the tank and have 3 wks on it now.

So who came up with the idea that we needed SS? I know some folks were worried about the adhesive getting into their juice/lungs, but has anyone really saw the carto unwrap and fall apart? If I can get 3 wks out of one, the folks that change theirs every few days shouldn't have too much to worry about.

It even looks nice, mine has the VK (vaporkings) logo in white, and on a black ego is quite stealthy. I sharpened the tip on the saddlevalve with a nail file, and it goes thru like butter. Can't hardly even see the hole with the wrapper on it and no big dent.

I haven't ever purchased wrapped cartos, but a friend gave me one and last night I decided to take the wrapping and adhesive off. I was surprised at how much adhesive was actually on there. Much more than I had assumed. I would be concerned of the adhesive leeching into the juice and essentially inhaling vaporized unknown chemicals from the adhesive. It can't be good for you.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I haven't ever purchased wrapped cartos, but a friend gave me one and last night I decided to take the wrapping and adhesive off. I was surprised at how much adhesive was actually on there. Much more than I had assumed. I would be concerned of the adhesive leeching into the juice and essentially inhaling vaporized unknown chemicals from the adhesive. It can't be good for you.

See, that's the thing-the adhesive and the label is really on there good, it doesn't look like PG or VG will dissolve it at all.
    So, it looks to be just a possible unfounded fear. I'm just saying that if I have 3 wks on mine and it looks brand new, I don't think a person that gets 3 days out of a carto has much to worry about.

I'm just wondering if this SS carto thing is based on fact or fear. If the adhesive cannot be actually dissolved by ejuice, than whatever would work loose would just be caught in the fiberfill, like a filter, never making it to the coil.

So- fact or hearsay??

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    That's what I mean, if it came off with PG or VG, someone would've said to soak it in either to remove. Not happening. You kinda need a wire brush or chemical- neither being what I vape.

Maybe alcohol based flavors, or cinnamon, or citric acid? I was around when carto tanks came out and I don't remember any discussions based on fact.

Funny, alot of us put unprotected battery units in our mouths ( after years of toxic cig smoke ) and worry about adhesive residue.

forks

Apr 14, 2012
    Low Earth Orbit
    Though I'm not intimately familiar with the issue, as in I have not read any studies, nor do I know specifically what adhesives the almost definitely Chinese factory uses on the cartomizers in question, and though I am also a "newbie" to the e-cig scene, I will give my two cents.

For one, there are no real enforced regulations on what sort of toxic substances can be used in such adhesives. There has been some effort to encourage the reduction of toxins shipped to the US market from China, the glue is simply not intended for direct contact with humans at all, and completely unregulated. Many glues are highly toxic.

Secondly, there is no real way of knowing without laboratory tests what is going on when this unknown glue comes in contact with PG or VG. It may not dissolve the adhesive or make it become unstable, but as we have seen recently with some plastic bottles, this does not mean nasty chems aren't leaching out into your juice.

But as a cursory internet search doesn't reveal any studies involving this situation, I'd say that the "trend" of using stainless steel for immersion in juice tanks is based on fear. Reasonable fear.

Probably still better for you than analogs though. :laugh:

PaulB

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 12, 2010
    Virginia
    The most securely wrapped cartos I've encountered are the Smokeless Image Volts (which you can now get wrapper-less, but I had just stocked up before those came out). Since I got my first tanks, I've gotten good at removing the wrappers whole. The key is denatured alcohol (not isopropyl--it seems to make a difference). Wipe some on the seam, wait a bit then start peeling with the tips of your thumbs (You want to push the label off, not scratch it off.), periodically wiping on more alcohol at the leading edge. The goal is to get both layers of wrapper off without a trace of glue on the stainless. Whatever glue that is, it's definitely alcohol soluble.

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2011
    Frederick, md
    Slightly interested in this question as well. I have roughly 10 Boxes of black wrapped Cartos that I bought before deciding on an M1A1 Buzz Tank. They are not that bad to unwrap, but the adhesive truly is a PITA to remove from the unwrapped Carto.

Me too. I have black wrapped Boge's and was wondering the same thing. Someone said put them in the freezer to make the wrapper come off easier but I found the Boge wrapper came off pretty easily but I was wondering why I had to take them off at all. I guess the chemicals in the adhesive could be bad for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread