WV bill (HB 2778) would ban sale of a "vapor product" to a minor under 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
West Virginia legislation (HB 2778) that originally would have banned the sale of a “alternative nicotine product” to a minor under 18 years
HB 2778 Text
was amended (by substitute) to ban sale of any “vapor product” to a minor under 18 years.
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Text_HTML/2013_SESSIONS/RS/pdf_bills/HB2778 SUB Printed.pdf
Bill Status - Complete Bill History

I suspect that Lorillard was lobbying for the original bill, and that Reynolds lobbyists convinced the committee to change "alternative nicotine product" to "vapor product".

Regardless, all WV vapers and vendors should support this legislation, which is scheduled for a final House vote tomorrow, and then it will be referred to a Senate Cmte.

jlew

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2012
WV, USA
jspcrepair.angelfire.com
West Virginia legislation (HB 2778) that originally would have banned the sale of a “alternative nicotine product” to a minor under 18 years
HB 2778 Text
was amended (by substitute) to ban sale of any “vapor product” to a minor under 18 years.
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Text_HTML/2013_SESSIONS/RS/pdf_bills/HB2778 SUB Printed.pdf
Bill Status - Complete Bill History

I suspect that Lorillard was lobbying for the original bill, and that Reynolds lobbyists convinced the committee to change "alternative nicotine product" to "vapor product".

Regardless, all WV vapers and vendors should support this legislation, which is scheduled for a final House vote tomorrow, and then it will be referred to a Senate Cmte.

I agree! :)

As far as I know, no one has sold, or will sell any form of vaping product to anyone under 18+.

I am also supportive of this type of regulation because this is meant for adult smokers or adults
who use smokeless products and no tobacco, alternative, or nic product should be sold to minors.

I also just sent an email to over 37 Committee Members regarding the proposed Tax Bills.
In case anyone wants to read my email letter, they can view it in this thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...bacco-taxes-600-sb593-hb3138.html#post9084820

Last edited:

paleocon12111971

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
I don't like laws telling vendors whom they can sell to, even at the state level. I saw a news clip recently about a 15-year-old who was trying to quit smoking analogs. He had just starting vaping when Spokane County banned the sale of e-cigs to people under 18. He claimed that he would go back to smoking if he could not buy a PV. Most vendors don't sell e-cigarettes to people under 18 anyway, and those that do aren't exactly selling them to "kids." A 15-year-old vaping is much better than a 15-year-old smoking. This also wouldn't even matter if people under 18 bought PV's online. The FDA is already having a field day harrassing pipe/cigar companies for not finding fool-proof ways to prevent people under 18 from buying their products online. I understand that people under 18 vaping gives CASAA a bad image, but we need to be practical and look at the bigger picture: vaping is 1 million times better than smoking for anyone.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
His parents or whoever is buying him ciggies can buy him vape stuff.

I don't like laws telling vendors whom they can sell to, even at the state level. I saw a news clip recently about a 15-year-old who was trying to quit smoking analogs. He had just starting vaping when Spokane County banned the sale of e-cigs to people under 18. He claimed that he would go back to smoking if he could not buy a PV. Most vendors don't sell e-cigarettes to people under 18 anyway, and those that do aren't exactly selling them to "kids." A 15-year-old vaping is much better than a 15-year-old smoking. This also wouldn't even matter if people under 18 bought PV's online. The FDA is already having a field day harrassing pipe/cigar companies for not finding fool-proof ways to prevent people under 18 from buying their products online. I understand that people under 18 vaping gives CASAA a bad image, but we need to be practical and look at the bigger picture: vaping is 1 million times better than smoking for anyone.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I'm curious as to whether the new wording on the bill includes any and all vapor related hardware and accessories, and how they plan to enforce it. I understand and fully support any legislation that restricts the sale of any nicotine products to minors, but this wording appears to leave the door wide open for interpretation.

Have they defined what "vapor products" means in literal terms, and is it a fixed list of items or an ever expanding (living) document?

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I don't like laws telling vendors whom they can sell to, even at the state level. . . . . . . I understand that people under 18 vaping gives CASAA a bad image, but we need to be practical and look at the bigger picture

The bigger picture is that state laws banning the sale of e-cigarettes to minors are the best defense against false claims by FDA and other prohibitionists that e-cigarettes are target marketed to youth, and potential FDA regulation/prohibition of e-cigarettes (as the FDA will claim it needs to regulate e-cigs to protect the children).

Besides, virtually all stakeholders (e-cigarette companies, trade associations and consumers groups, tobacco companies, pubic health advocates and e-cigarette prohibitionists) now support state laws banning e-cig sales to minors.

So the issue isn't whether states should enact these laws, the issues are the specific provisions and wording of the bills.

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia
His parents or whoever is buying him ciggies can buy him vape stuff.

And I am happy to report this is exactly what is happening here now. I work with parents all the time bringing in their minor kids to get them to switch.

Personally, I would no more sell nicotine to a kid than I would a used car. I feel both are a parent's decision. Regardless, as Bill said, this kind of legislation eliminates all the "marketing to children" claims.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
And I am happy to report this is exactly what is happening here now. I work with parents all the time bringing in their minor kids to get them to switch.

Personally, I would no more sell nicotine to a kid than I would a used car. I feel both are a parent's decision. Regardless, as Bill said, this kind of legislation eliminates all the "marketing to children" claims.
I remember some post from not too long ago about how you were having potential legal issues with your business model.
I don't recall seeing an update as to how things are working out though?

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia
I remember some post from not too long ago about how you were having potential legal issues with your business model.
I don't recall seeing an update as to how things are working out though?

No issues so far. Anything that should arise is sure to be interesting, however. "Interesting" considering all of the city and county officials that are now themselves, or now have family members (parents, siblings, children), vaping.

Had another local doc send a patient directly to me yesterday. This is a regular occurrence. And... It's Beautiful!!!

Oh, yes, our local BOH did just pass clean indoor air regs that specifically ban electronic cigarette use anywhere smoking is banned. That's a whole other scenario being addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread