WV bills to end online sales, tax eliquid and.... DIY supplies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
SB420 (there's also a companion HB) can be found here: SB 420 Text

Yes, it has a tax on juice, relatively small at 7.5c/mL so 2.25/ 30mL so not a good thing but not outrageous like we've been seeing. However, it also includes an online/out of state ban on purchases with this:

For purposes of this article, any distributor, dealer, subjobber, subjobber dealer, retailer or any other person that imports or transports e-cigarette liquids into this state, or that causes e-cigarette liquids to be imported or transported into this state, is hereby deemed to be a wholesaler for purposes of this section, and is liable for the tax imposed under this article. No wholesaler or other person may purchase e-cigarette liquids from any seller not approved by the Tax Commissioner

In order to import e-liquid (order online) you have to be a licensed tobacco wholesaler, so there goes that.

But the really interesting bit is here:

E-cigarette liquid includes e-cigarette liquid mixing kits and e-cigarette liquid mixing kit components. When used in, or with, an e-cigarette, e-cigarette liquid is vaporized, or otherwise converted into an inhalable product. E-cigarette liquid may or may not include, without limitation, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine from any source, or flavorings.

and

E-cigarette liquid mixing kits and e-cigarette liquid mixing kit components shall be taxed in accordance with the amount of e-cigarette liquid, in milliliters, that can be produced by or from the kit or components thereof, as determined by the Tax Commissioner

Looks like someone's been doing their homework and not in a good way :(

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Attempting to tax based on usage is stupid ... reminds me of when I used Zyban/Wellbutrin to try to quit smoking. Pharmacy wanted more than $100 for a 1-month supply because doc wrote the Rx for Zyban. I refused to pay that much, had her rewrite the scrip for Wellbutrin, and paid a $10 co-pay for the exact same pills.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I've only read the quoted parts, but it sounds like 0 nic and DIY supplies would be taxed? As in a bottle of vg would be taxed at the same rate if it were meant for DIY e-liquid?

How would they determine the "amount of e-cigarette liquid, in milliliters, that can be produced by or from the kit or components thereof,?" Depending on what strength you like your nic to be, a liter of 100mg base could make 2,000-100,000ml.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
At least they're honest about it all being about money instead of false health claims.
You're right!

This is what it says about its purpose:
For the purpose of providing revenue for the state, an excise tax is hereby levied and imposed on sales of cigarettes and tobacco products other than cigarettes.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Where the hell is stevegmu these days?
I want him to tell me how everything is okay.

It seems our worst fears were nothing more than hopeful wishes.
Some of these bills in some of these states are going straight for the throat now.

Even after all I've seen over the last six years, I still can't believe what I'm seeing now.
It's worse than I ever thought it would be at the state level.

And soon we'll get treated to what the FDA puts out.

When my dog Sierra rolls over it's because she wants her tummy rubbed.
That's why we've nicknamed her Tummers.

But when we roll over, what will be the reason?
That's a real question, not a rhetorical one.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

:lol:

I don't think even stevegmu could say that with a Straight Face anymore.

But then Again. I don't think he said Most of the things he did with a Straight Face in the 1st Place.

;)

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Well , no bullcrapping around - dem hurtin for cash.

Means till April this year, just about every vendor will close down or hightail it into another state.

Wonder whats gonna happen to all the VG in the supermarkets, that's USP grade but isn't sold for liquids but for a multitude of other applications. Or the PG that goes into cattle feed.

Dunno how many B&M or online vendors are located there, but ig BG gets too greedy, they'll likely to end up with less than before, as all these tax-paying businesses might disappear.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Well , no bullcrapping around - dem hurtin for cash.

Means till April this year, just about every vendor will close down or hightail it into another state.

Wonder whats gonna happen to all the VG in the supermarkets, that's USP grade but isn't sold for liquids but for a multitude of other applications. Or the PG that goes into cattle feed.

Dunno how many B&M or online vendors are located there, but ig BG gets too greedy, they'll likely to end up with less than before, as all these tax-paying businesses might disappear.
It is ridiculous! WV is a poor state, but they are taking this way too far. I am so disappointed in their decision.

Reactions: MyMagicMist

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015

That's what I was wondering, too. Not only is VG in supermarkets, Walmart, etc., but also in craft shops, for home-based making of lip balm, lotions, etc. It's used for so many purposes! PG at Tractor Supply by the gallon, or places all over the US by the drum or barrel or tanker for cattle...come on, ranchers would have a s*it fit if it's taxed like that.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

It seems our worst fears were nothing more than hopeful wishes.
Some of these bills in some of these states are going straight for the throat now.

Even after all I've seen over the last six years, I still can't believe what I'm seeing now.
It's worse than I ever thought it would be at the state level.

And soon we'll get treated to what the FDA puts out.

When my dog Sierra rolls over it's because she wants her tummy rubbed.
That's why we've nicknamed her Tummers.

But when we roll over, what will be the reason?
That's a real question, not a rhetorical one.

I still recall the days when tom baker was saying, it's not the FDA that's the concern, it's the states. And everyone (but me) responding was like, "no! It's the FDA! This year (like 2 years ago), they are going to create a massive overhaul that will decimate the industry. You are so far off base Tom, and obviously have no idea what this fight is about."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread