Boston MA
Reactions: DC2

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

Yeah, and skepticism reigned supreme over that one: 100% Tobacco Free Nicotine??? Marketing Ploy or Truth?

I find it very peculiar that there is pretty much zero info out there regarding this Company, other than a filing for a trademark extension.

I would also be very curious to know what the Organic Chemistry Department at University California Irvine would have to say about Next Generation Labs, since they are espousing "all data collected and verified" by UC Irvine - which in itself is a rather obtuse way of saying nothing much at all.

Regardless, this is digressing into irrelevance as what bought this topic up was whether or not there is an error in the complaint filing - and only Larry Faircloth or his legal staff can answer that question.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the FDA then lay claim to regulate nicotine not derived from tobacco as a pharmaceutical?

Here's mention of it in the deeming. It's not entirely clear in their response but it appears that the "catch all phrase" - "subject to FDA's tobacco control authorities, if they are an assembly of materials intended or reasonably expected to be used with or for the human consumption of a tobacco product"

And here you have to understand what is meant by "tobacco product" in FDA language - any component part used in the human consumption - ie drip tips, clearos, tanks, wire, etc. etc.

(Comment 164) Some comments sought clarification as to FDA's authority over e-liquids
that do not contain nicotine or other chemicals derived from tobacco plants and those e-liquids
that contain nicotine derived from a nontobacco source (e.g., eggplants or tomatoes). Others
claimed that FDA does not have regulatory authority over e-cigarettes that are refillable and do
not contain nicotine, but does have authority over e-liquids if the liquid contains nicotine. Yet,
some said that e-liquids used in e-cigarettes should have an entirely new classification, because
use of the words "tobacco product" in marketing materials would cause undue confusion for
consumers.

pg257
(Response) As stated in section 201(rr) of the FD&C Act, the definition of "tobacco
product" includes any product made or derived from tobacco, including any component, part, or
accessory of a tobacco product. An e-liquid made or derived from tobacco meets this definition
and, therefore, is subject to FDA's chapter IX authorities. E-liquids that do not contain nicotine
or other substances derived from tobacco may still be components or parts and, therefore, subject
to FDA's tobacco control authorities,
if they are an assembly of materials intended or reasonably
expected to be used with or for the human consumption of a tobacco product and do not meet the
definition of accessory.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the FDA then lay claim to regulate nicotine not derived from tobacco as a pharmaceutical?
I don't think there is currently any classification for nicotine not derived from tobacco.

But my assumption is that they WOULD declare it as a drug.
What it takes to make that happen I have no idea.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I don't think there is currently any classification for nicotine not derived from tobacco.

But my assumption is that they WOULD declare it as a drug.
What it takes to make that happen I have no idea.

If the FDA can't stop the import or manufacturing, then the EPA can (under the TSCA) or the DEA can by whatever means necessary. If they are really determined to kill the free nicotine market, they will find a way to do so, and all we can do is make it more difficult for them by influencing the public perception about vaping.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Where i live the government, both federal and state have failed to stop, in no particular order: murders, prostitution, smoking, vaping, alcoholism, drug abuse.

Their track record of making people change their behaviour by banning things or making laws against them is not good.

T

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Where i live the government, both federal and state have failed to stop, in no particular order: murders, prostitution, smoking, vaping, alcoholism, drug abuse.

Their track record of making people change their behaviour by banning things or making laws against them is not good.

T
Perhaps, But they have an excellent record of incarcerating people for doing those things.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

T

How many times I gotta tell you - you aren't supposed to notice things like that.

Someone argued since the gubbermints "war on..." policy seems to have the exact opposite of the intended effect then perhaps it's time to declare a War On Jobs Creation, War on Good Politicians etc. - see how that works out.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Life, liberty - some other thing i forgot about since i got married.

Can you imagine a war on vaping? On what basis? That it's 95% less harmful than cigarettes.

For years now they have been hiding behind the 'we just don't know how safe it is' nonsense. But now we do. The FDA just refuse to acknowledge scientific fact despite protestations of being a 'science-based' organisation.

My suggestion for those people is to stop interfering in the relatively harmless leisure pursuits of people trying to stop smoking, other than ensuring that basic standards of hygiene are adhered to by vendors of liquids.

Batteries, wire, all the rest are mission creep and they don't have the ability or knowledge to make impartial decisions; those things fall outside their area of expertise. They are not food nor drugs. I'll refrain from citing their stellar record in those areas.

Stockpiling supplies and preparing for ill-thought out and drafted legislation is not something we ought to have to do.

T

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Even though this is synthetic nicotine, I still think it comes under the purview of the FDA deeming regs. Can't find the exact wording but I recall reading something which told me they closed this loophole.
I believe @Kent C found the appropriate section. I too am alarmed by the inference that
nicotine is not a derivative of tobacco leaf. It most certainly is. Synthetic nicotine would
be derived from tobacco as it would substitute the organic nicotine found in the tobacco
leaf. The same goes for nicotine from other organic sources. I also understand why non
nicotine containing products would be of concern to the FDA as the other ingredients
are the ones that contain cancer causing ingredients of concern. From the metal
in the coils to the flavors and by products of the base liquids when they decompose
to the metal filings that were found in the testing of all those Chinese carto's. I
don't agree with the assessment of risk associated with these things in the form
of vaping but, I understand why the FDA is blowing them all out of any semblance
of reality.

So here I am wondering why such a statement would be made. I have
a pretty far out tin foil hat theory that I will keep to myself as I am not
sure exactly what to look for. Until then I am as stumped as anyone.
Regards
Mike

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I believe @Kent C found the appropriate section. I too am alarmed by the inference that nicotine is not a derivative of tobacco leaf.
Yes he did. But unlike our scholarly KentC I was too lazy to look for it again. :)

After reading that back in May I immediately recalled an attorney at a vape conference back in 2014 when the deeming were proposed. He said (paraphrasing):

"All it takes is some 12 year old genius to figure out how to synthesize nic or make it more economical to extract from a tomato and all these regs are null and void. The FDA will be stopped in their tracks!"

Of course this was meet with resounding applause, much hand-wringing and maniacal laughter. Oh my. How wrong we were. :(

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I believe @Kent C found the appropriate section.

If you do a search on "nicotine" with the deeming doc, you'll see much more about what 'worries' the FDA about nicotine, wrt addiction and effects of it on teen brains, etc. (all junk science or we'd all be idiots, not just me :lol: ) They, at the same time, exclude their NRT's from this effect! Yet, by their actions, may still allow (force on the population) what they consider the worst source of nicotine and unhealthy side effects - cigarettes.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
If you do a search on "nicotine" with the deeming doc, you'll see much more about what 'worries' the FDA about nicotine, wrt addiction and effects of it on teen brains, etc. (all junk science or we'd all be idiots, not just me :lol: ) They, at the same time, exclude their NRT's from this effect! Yet, by their actions, may still allow (force on the population) what they consider the worst source of nicotine and unhealthy side effects - cigarettes.

The whole NRT versus vaping nictone issue is simply maddening. "Oh, well this nicotine, why that - that's good nicotine. But that nicotine, that's the spawn of Satan, and cancer stuff and... children."

So the objection must be the delivery system, right? "Inhaling. Inhaling nicotine is bad."

how-does-nicotrol-inhaler-work2.png

Package_15412.JPG

mod3_fig4.gif

nicorette-ch-productpage-inhaler_0.jpg

C9094_HERO1b.jpg

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So the objection must be the delivery system, right? "Inhaling. Inhaling nicotine is bad."

They attempt to make that argument but when confronted with pipe and cigar smokers who don't inhale, they take another tack - also more junk science....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread