Wyoming Senate approves bill to ban e-cig sales to minors, referred to House Cmte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
If e-cigarette companies and trade associations join with THR advocates, CASAA & NVC in urging state legislatures to ban e-cigarette sales to minors, a key argument (i.e. banning e-cig sales to minors) by e-cig opponents and FDA for proposing/approving the deeming regulation would be greatly diminished.

So far, about 15 states have banned e-cig sales to minors.

Just as 50 states ban cigars and pipe tobacco sales to youth, states can and should ban e-cig sales to minors (not the federal government).

Also, please note that until the summer of 2011, CTFK/ACS/AHA/ALA had a policy of opposing state legislation to ban e-cig sales to minors (as they were lobbying states and cheering on FDA to ban e-cig sales to adults).

After the FDA lost the SE/NJOY lawsuit, CTFK/ACSAHA/ALA changed their policy to allow (but did NOT recommend or require) their state and regional affiliates to support legislation banning e-cig sales to minors.

Regarding caps on e-liquid, no state or local legislation has been introduced to do that, and there is no evidence that anyone has ever been harmed by swallowing e-liquid.

Has anyone accidentally swallowed e-liquid? If so, what did it taste like?

I've never tasted e-liquid, but have been told it tastes awful and bitter (probably similar to swallowing chewing tobacco juice, Yuk).

And I suspect if anyone tried to swallow several drops of e-liquid, the body would respond the same way it does when anyone tries to swallow several more drops of chewing tobacco juice (i.e. they immediately puke).

As long as child proof caps aren't required on fifths of whiskey, rum, gin, vodka or grain alcohol, I don't see a need to require them on e-liquid bottles.

Consumers can buy e-liquid with bottle caps if they desire (and I recommend parents use bottle caps if little children may have access), and most e-liquid companies put child proof caps on their products.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Has anyone accidentally swallowed e-liquid? If so, what did it taste like?
I have ... (just a couple drops)
My favorite e-liquid is a Menthol which is really more close to a Mint.
I assume every e-smoker knows...regardless of their preferences ...
e-liquid tastes like CRAP ... Gags me if any gets in my mouth.
:(

FloridaNoob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Holiday, Florida
Bill, good points. But remember, even medicine does not taste good, and for safety reasons of very small children shild safety caps are on all prescription medicines and even over the counter drugs. I see no reason why it is not safest course of action to require it rather than hope that all e-liquid companies will do the right thing. Tobacco juice is alot nastier tasting than say bananna nut bread e-liquid. ;)

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Bill, good points. But remember, even medicine does not taste good, and for safety reasons of very small children shild safety caps are on all prescription medicines and even over the counter drugs. I see no reason why it is not safest course of action to require it rather than hope that all e-liquid companies will do the right thing. Tobacco juice is alot nastier tasting than say bananna nut bread e-liquid. ;)
I speculate the FDA probably has already decided how to address safety cap concerns
Simply ban the sale of bottled e-liquids.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

IMO, yes & no to mandatory child safety caps. I believe it should be like prescriptions, where child safety caps are automatic unless "normal" caps are requested (for arthritic persons, etc.).

Sent from space, the final frontier, via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread