Xtar charger cause I've gotten into dual battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shangula

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
British Columbia
Hi, in about January 2015 I bought an nitecore d2, and mainly used an ipv mini 2 + subtank...fast forward to about October 2015 and the bays became 'crunchy' 1 bay wouldn't charge every time a batter was placed in it, I would have to often take it and put it in. (it would even say "ALL" as in both are charged, when one wasn't)... Eventually that bay stopped working all together, and I bought a new Nitecore D2...

The last few days I've started using my first dual battery mod, I like it pretty well, and the question is, to prevent any safety issues, I definitely don't want one battery staying at 3.7 volts while the second one is 4.2 (then placing them in the dual battery mod!!)

in a week or two or three, would it be wise to order an xtar (they charge faster too!) Are they more reliable than nitecores? Better build quality? Let me know,

Thanks

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi, in about January 2015 I bought an nitecore d2, and mainly used an IPV mini 2 + subtank...fast forward to about October 2015 and the bays became 'crunchy' 1 bay wouldn't charge every time a batter was placed in it, I would have to often take it and put it in. (it would even say "ALL" as in both are charged, when one wasn't)... Eventually that bay stopped working all together, and I bought a new Nitecore D2...

The battery contacts in the charger can become oxidized over time. I have given mine a gentle few swipes with fine sandpaper a few times over the years and found that helps conductivity.

I don't have a Nitecore charger, but in my opinion if the bay is getting crunchy when you put a battery in, the problem could be the sprung slide is getting worn or just dirty. I would take it apart, have a good look at it and fix it if it's possible. Don't try this unless you are completely confident about doing it though :)

The last few days I've started using my first dual battery mod, I like it pretty well, and the question is, to prevent any safety issues, I definitely don't want one battery staying at 3.7 volts while the second one is 4.2 (then placing them in the dual battery mod!!)

in a week or two or three, would it be wise to order an XTAR (they charge faster too!) Are they more reliable than nitecores? Better build quality? Let me know,

Thanks

I have two inexpensive Xtar chargers and neither have given me any issues. The oldest one is over three years old now. That one had the power supply (the part you plug into the wall) fail, but they are quite common and I simply replaced it with the correct part.

Never having had a Nitecore I can't compare the two, but the 3 year old Xtar still performs exactly as it did when new and I expect the new one to do the same for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread