The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

XTAR VTC4 - physical comparison to other cells

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by inswva, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. inswva

inswva Do you even squonk, bro? Verified Member ECF Veteran

I received my four XTAR VTC4 flat tops on Friday. They are definitely taller than their Sony branded counterparts. The XTAR cells have four leg positive connectors rather than the three legs on the OEM Sonys. XTAR is doing more than just throwing their wrapper on pre-built Sony cells.

Pics show the XTAR VTC4, Sony VTC5, and Samsung 25R. You can clearly see how much taller the XTAR cell is. Not only is the body of the cell taller, the positive connector is raised rather than flush like the VTC5.

They do fit in my IPV2 thanks to the spring loaded negative post. It's a tight fit but it goes in there just fine. They do *not* fit in my Hana clone - not even close. I haven't tried them in my Super-T Workhorse but if they even have a chance of fitting I'll need to do some work on the switch... which I probably won't bother with since I have several VTC5s I use for it. So, I guess the four XTARs I purchased will be dedicated to the IPV2. If the IPV3 uses the same battery terminals as the IPV2, they should work fine in that box as well.

Taller than than the VTC5 and 25R:

[​IMG]

Domed positive connector:

[​IMG]

Four leg positive:

[​IMG]

Installed in the IPV2:

[​IMG]

2. Fictitious Character

Fictitious Character Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2014
    USA
    Thanks for this comparison. I should have just let my order run, but I was worried that they would not fit in the ipv3.

3. Thraizer

Thraizer Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Nj
    I just received my xtar vtc4's also. The ones I got are button tops and fits my IPV2 just fine, and no way in hell it will fit my cana mod lol. I'm hoping my xtar's will fit the sigelei 100, I'll find out tomorrow.

4. sando7

sando7 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2014
    Louisville, KY (PRP)

did they fit in the Sig 100?

5. Thraizer

Apr 22, 2012
    Nj
    xtar button tops on the Sig 100 is a no go.

6. sando7

sando7 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2014
    Louisville, KY (PRP)
    sorta a bummer but at least we know now, thanks.

7. Thraizer

Apr 22, 2012
    Nj
    No problem. AW IMR 18650 button tops fits the Sig 100. I think it would be a great idea for mod makers to list a spec for maximum battery length that a mod can accept.

8. gray

gray Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2009
    Houston, Tx.
    These have an extended button with a spot welded tab underneath.

You can pull that off by removing the shrink and gently working the spot weld until it breaks. Keep the white insulator.
    Stone the remaining spot weld down flush, put the white insulator on, re-wrap.

9. inswva

inswva Do you even squonk, bro? Verified Member ECF Veteran

The XTAR flat tops do fit in a Sigelei 100, as shown below. They must be inserted straight down and with a bit of muscle. Very tight fit. If the ribbon ever broke I'm not sure they'd come out without having to pry them out with a tool. So, be advised that they fit but are very, very snug.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.