The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

XXXSTRONG Phosphoric Acid (81%)

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by Nick O'Teen, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Nick O'Teen

Nick O'Teen Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2009
    Swansea, Wales
    I've just ordered a litre of this stuff ("pH Down"):

http://www.growell.co.uk/p/0130/pH-Up-and-Down.html

It seems to be the strongest phosphoric acid solution available in a consumer product here (and easier to find than ice machine cleaner,) so fingers crossed!
    I'll post my findings when I've had a chance to play with it.

2. taz3cat

taz3cat Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2008
    Port Arthur, Texas
    I use that in my hot tub when my PH is to high. I got some and I want to hear your results. You can get it at anyplace that sell spa.pool suppys, Walmart has it. I have some that is in power form can make it as strong as I want.

3. exogenesis

exogenesis Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2009
    UK
    Good find, easier to get delivered than the 85% stuff I had to order
    direct from a chemical supplier.

Not so much joy with this myself for really gunked coils, it only seems to
    clean the surface as the liquid turns reddish brown, then leaves the rest behind
    (even even with a 2 week soak), others have had better results (e.g. SunV).

I actually think I observed that lower concentrations the 80+% may work better/quicker,
    e.g 25 to 50% or so.

Powdered phosphoric acid ?, that's a clever trick ;)

4. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Exogenesis - yes, that powder with a carbonate solution ... nice fizz !

Any ideas about the red color ?

Or what might be in the popcornmaker cleaner ? Did you look at the hints (the cautions section of the datasheet that gives potential reaction products) ?

5. exogenesis

Mar 1, 2009
    UK
    I think the red/brown colour is just 'dilute black', i.e caramel colour.

6. bluewolf

bluewolf Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2008
    Michigan
    try muriatic acid? they sell it at home improvement stores.

7. JuicedFlavors-Keith

JuicedFlavors-Keith Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    Anyone have a problem with a lingering taste after using the ice machine cleaner? I have tried it on one of my atomizers, yet now I can't get this horrible taste off of it!

8. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    Nick--please be sure to read the warnings about this product and heed to the warnings:

Dilution​
    All of the above products are sold in highly concentrated solutions to make them extremely cost effective
    for the end user. however, we STRONGLY recommend the grower to dilute these solutions before use.​
    1. ​
    Diluted solutions are safer to handle.

2. ​
    Diluted solutions are easier to use - more is needed, so dosing is less critical (less chance of
    mistakes)

Personal Protection​
    Safety glasses, rubber or plastic gloves. Always work in a suitably ventilated area. Goggles are essential for
    eye safety when handling aggressive liquids.​
    General First Aid Measures​
    Eyes: Get medical aid immediately. Do not allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive
    irrigation (eye baths)is required (at least 30 minutes).
    Skin: Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15
    minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clthing before re-use
    Ingestion: Never give anything by mouth to anunconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do
    not induce vomiting. Allow the victim to rinse hish mouth and then to drink 2-4 cups of
    water before seeking medical advice.
    Inhalation: Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure area to fresh air immediately. If​
    breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth to mouth respiration.

Blue--Muriatic Acid is out on this Foum so please do not use it!!!--Please think saftey everyone!!!--Thanks Sun

9. surbitonPete

surbitonPete Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    that's the trouble ....even if we find a cleaner that works ....we will need a surefire way of cleaning it out afterwards.

10. radiokaos

radiokaos Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Guys, do me a favor. Please write a will and leave me all of your unused juice and batteries after you kill yourself. If you only have one atomizer go out and spend another $10.00. Stick with the simple stuff to clean them and they will last. Water works pretty darn well if you clean them once a week. Heck I have 4081 atomizer that is over 2 months old and is used daily. I would hate to read in the news that some member killed himself sucking on Muratic Acid.

11. exogenesis

Mar 1, 2009
    UK
  12. JuicedFlavors-Keith

JuicedFlavors-Keith Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm guessing with the amount of chatter about the ice machine stuff there is some manner in which to clean it off, am I incorrect? I flushed it with water several times to no avail, help!

13. BlkSupra1jzed

BlkSupra1jzed Full Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a pretty simple question...about how long does it take to form this crap to the point it takes drastic measures to remove it? If there is an interval that I could clean this out by just using water how often should I do so? Does it actually need to be boiling or is hot tap water enough?

14. surbitonPete

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    My experience with 'all' my coils is that the gunk has built up quite badly after vaping no more than four mills of juice, which is less than two days vaping for me....and so far it doesn't seem to make much difference what brand of juice or flavour I use...... ......I have yet to find 'any' cleaning method that will actually get that hardened gunk off once it has formed although sometimes any method of cleaning I have tried might cause some little bits of it to break off.

15. surbitonPete

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    Try boiling it for a while in slightly soapy water and then rinse it out for quite a while as well....then also dry it out thoroughly. But quite seriously no one here is advocating that anyone uses Ice machine cleaner as a way to clean an atomizer.....if you do it, you really are doing it at your own risk .....and it is risky because it is so hard to clean out any trace of the chemical from an atomizer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.