Y'all won't believe this!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hey everyone,

I was in the movie theater last night with a couple friends, and we all vape. We were sitting in the middle rows of the movie theater and the theater was half full,.. so we were able to put a little distance between us and the rest of the crowd.

The movie 2012 starts and everything is going great... we are watchin and vapin away- like always.. not like this is the first time. And, usually, afterwards, in our previous experiences, quite a few smokers would ask us how we got away with smoking in the movie theaters.. which, of course we would explain away and they would express interest in checking the e-cig thing out.

Alright, so back to it. sorry got away from me a little... Near the middle of the movie, One of the attendants come through the isles- don't really know why he was checking the theater or what he was checking on, but it seems that he was coming directly to us from the get go. I thjink that the projectionist saw us and reported us, as though we were smoking for real. So, he immediately ask us to follow him out of the theater and into the lobby. So, we do!! Then, he told us that we would have to leave... wouldn't accept that we were not smoking what you would think a traditional cigarette is and We even explained the whole thing out. We went on to say that we had sat pretty much to the rear of primarily everyone of the patrons, so the vapor wouldn't obstruct their veiw.... Except for the ones that sat all the way to the back row.
The more we pressed, the more insistant he became.. so, finally .. one of my friends said, " Well, you are kickin us out of the theater without an absolute reason that makes sense, We didn't get a chance to finish the movie we set out to see and as a matter of fact, didn't even see halfway through, we were not causing any commotion or upset any other patrons... and your not being reasonable. Don't you think that we should be entitled to at least a half price refund or possibly, at least a return ticket so that we can watch the movie knowing now that you will not allow us to use our e-cigarettes in the theater, even though your dayshift manager does- because we did ask him and figured that we were granted the permission to vape within the respect of your establishment. We do apologize for doing so, assuning that we were within the bounds of approval from management."

By the end.. He called his manager.... Gave us half priced refunds with a ticket to see the movie again, at another time.. and he informed us with apology that his manager decided to restrict the use of the e-cig to the same measures they carry for tobacco smokers .. no longer in the constructs of the theater itself but outside the doors of the theater would be fine.

This is outrageous... I can't beleive that such prejudice could come from something that doesn't even share a tid bit of harm or dismay like a analog does. We have all decide to write a letter to the manager to apologize for any inconveniences and that we would like to come up with a better solution that is fair for all. I don't think that we should have to share the space with people using analogs.... although a lot of us do, but I personally don't care to be around the carcinogenic smoke anymore, as well.... I love my vaping now and hope that he can see that a better solution is a reasonable request.

Anyway, Even though we did ask.. I guess the point here is to ask every time.. don't just take it on faith, that you asked management at one time and everytime afterwards is ok. I am not mad, overall, I feel that it just boils down to getting the knowledge out there that e-cigs carry with it a better future for everyone(even non-smokers) and we should have rights to. Afterall, we vape and with respect to everyone around us- There is no sense for a manager of an establishment to treat you like a smoker and kick you to the curb.

Sincerely,
Tom

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
What really sucks is this stuff is to be expected. I live in hippy-ville Santa Cruz, California and while I could probably smoke a joint walking down the street and get a thumbs up by everyone around me a cigarette will have em beatin ya with their peace signs! (ok maybe just a lot of dirty looks).

On a serious note though I do think it would be a cool idea to have an area here on the forum in which members can list the names of, and promote, vape-friendly bars and establishments. Maybe something that has a heading for each state beneath it so we can keep em organized. Be a good way of bringing this into a more socially acceptable light. (incidentally I keep finding stuff on the forum I hadn't run across yet so if there's something here of that nature do tell)

Krakkan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
New Orleans, LA
www.truesmoker.com
What really sucks is this stuff is to be expected. I live in hippy-ville Santa Cruz, California and while I could probably smoke a joint walking down the street and get a thumbs up by everyone around me a cigarette will have em beatin ya with their peace signs! (ok maybe just a lot of dirty looks).

On a serious note though I do think it would be a cool idea to have an area here on the forum in which members can list the names of, and promote, vape-friendly bars and establishments. Maybe something that has a heading for each state beneath it so we can keep em organized. Be a good way of bringing this into a more socially acceptable light. (incidentally I keep finding stuff on the forum I hadn't run across yet so if there's something here of that nature do tell)

Great idea I know a few good spots here in New Orleans we could list

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
Some people may not agree with my opinion, but honestly I feel that this is why we should not flaunt vaping so much this early in the game, especially when it's just so darn easy to stealth vape. Vaping still hasn't really caught on. Most people don't really know about it or are just learning about it, and I encounter people all the time that buy in to the FDA "that thing is worse than real cigarettes".

By going into a place like a movie theater and flaunting it (and yes, if you have smokers asking how you can get away with smoking, and you get kicked out another time, you are flaunting it) you are going to get vaping banned from these places before it even has a chance to begin. Right now, either people don't know what it is, and already have "smoking" stuck in their head, especially if you use the term "e-cigarette", and you won't change their mind. If they DO know what it is, they may buy into the FDA line of B.S, and have "worse than smoking" stuck in their head. If they know about and know it's better, then vape on, but be discreet about it. People can learn about it when you are vaping in places not so enclosed where people automatically get very defensive.

Just remember, YOU don't want to be out with the smokers. People see you and think you are smoking. They don't want to be in there with you. Management is going to kick you out before they risk upsetting everyone else.

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Some people may not agree with my opinion, but honestly I feel that this is why we should not flaunt vaping so much this early in the game, especially when it's just so darn easy to stealth vape. Vaping still hasn't really caught on. Most people don't really know about it or are just learning about it, and I encounter people all the time that buy in to the FDA "that thing is worse than real cigarettes".

By going into a place like a movie theater and flaunting it (and yes, if you have smokers asking how you can get away with smoking, and you get kicked out another time, you are flaunting it) you are going to get vaping banned from these places before it even has a chance to begin. Right now, either people don't know what it is, and already have "smoking" stuck in their head, especially if you use the term "e-cigarette", and you won't change their mind. If they DO know what it is, they may buy into the FDA line of B.S, and have "worse than smoking" stuck in their head. If they know about and know it's better, then vape on, but be discreet about it. People can learn about it when you are vaping in places not so enclosed where people automatically get very defensive.

Just remember, YOU don't want to be out with the smokers. People see you and think you are smoking. They don't want to be in there with you. Management is going to kick you out before they risk upsetting everyone else.

Very very true. However, I know some hometown style bars in places I have lived in the past that were once hardcore smoking bars before it being banned. (I'm relatively new to California) In establishments like that, you know the ones where "everybody knows your name", it may not only be a good way to positively promote it but may even give the owner there own little niche. Those places now typically have outdoor smoking gardens and 90% of the patrons (and all the freaking employees the laws were designed to protect) are out there every five minutes. I would totally agree though that going in to large establishments that don't have a solid local clientele would defeat the whole purpose.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Very good points and points well taken. I do agree with the sub-forum.. separated by state to be able to list establishments that have already been introduced to the vaping scene and accept the use of this product.
I think one of the best points is to have that establishment understand that by promoting the fact that they allow vaping, they will intrinsically and potentially boost their ability to draw clientele. It might be a good thing to have some of the juice vendor promote stock these establishments with some product... As suppliers, as well, bars would be a good resort to perform tastings and such. Just like wine tastings, juice tasting might be a new craze. Don't laugh, it might catch on and be a plus for establishments to be incouraged to open up to the idea.

Anyway, I appreciate the inputs here .. and keep the ideas rollin.. we might come up with some good ideas here!!!

Tom

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Very good points and points well taken. I do agree with the sub-forum.. separated by state to be able to list establishments that have already been introduced to the vaping scene and accept the use of this product.
I think one of the best points is to have that establishment understand that by promoting the fact that they allow vaping, they will intrinsically and potentially boost their ability to draw clientele. It might be a good thing to have some of the juice vendor promote stock these establishments with some product... As suppliers, as well, bars would be a good resort to perform tastings and such. Just like wine tastings, juice tasting might be a new craze. Don't laugh, it might catch on and be a plus for establishments to be incouraged to open up to the idea.

Anyway, I appreciate the inputs here .. and keep the ideas rollin.. we might come up with some good ideas here!!!

Tom

Not laughing at all. Imagine this back when you were a smoker. You walk into a little bar in a state with an indoor smoking ban and see a group of people who are (by your definition) smoking at a table in the corner. So you ask the bartender discretely but happily "your still allowing people to smoke in here". He explains and shows you one of his many pre-charged pv's and explains that if you'd like to try it he'll sell you cartridges (from a sealed wrapper of course) for $5.00. He makes a tidy little profit off the cartridge and you run around town like a mad man telling everyone you know that you found a place where you can legally smoke in a bar still!!! Heck if I were the owner I'd sell kits, have info sheets and know my facts in case the media came to check it out. And if the media did end up checking it out I'd hire a few more employees and enjoy the rush before every bar up and down the street started doing the same.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Not laughing at all. Imagine this back when you were a smoker. You walk into a little bar in a state with an indoor smoking ban and see a group of people who are (by your definition) smoking at a table in the corner. So you ask the bartender discretely but happily "your still allowing people to smoke in here". He explains and shows you one of his many pre-charged pv's and explains that if you'd like to try it he'll sell you cartridges (from a sealed wrapper of course) for $5.00. He makes a tidy little profit off the cartridge and you run around town like a mad man telling everyone you know that you found a place where you can legally smoke in a bar still!!! Heck if I were the owner I'd sell kits, have info sheets and know my facts in case the media came to check it out. And if the media did end up checking it out I'd hire a few more employees and enjoy the rush before every bar up and down the street started doing the same.
Exactly... We are on the same page!!! Profitable all around.. the bartender gets some, the smokers that are introduced and convert to vaping get some, we, as vapors get some and all those non-smokers out there will be rewarded with less second hand smoke while we better our health as well.
Another point, some of us can get into marketing this,, Possibly come up with our own label as a distributor of custome mixed e-juice and make a little money from providing product to the local bars that we frequent. What do you think???

Tom

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Exactly... We are on the same page!!! Profitable all around.. the bartender gets some, the smokers that are introduced and convert to vaping get some, we, as vapors get some and all those non-smokers out there will be rewarded with less second hand smoke while we better our health as well.
Another point, some of us can get into marketing this,, Possibly come up with our own label as a distributor of custome mixed e-juice and make a little money from providing product to the local bars that we frequent. What do you think???

Tom

And the craziest thing is this approach would do more for the anti-smoking movement than any of these anti-smoking groups or cessation products could ever have dreamed of doing!!! But wait....they'll nip this in the .... cuz it looks like we're smoking! I actually already started working on a flier to hand out at bars just for this purpose. Not actually with the intention of selling kits to the bars but just to promote vaping. Problem is in my area I'm doubtful that there are too many establishments where the owner would be willing to have the gonads to hold his ground and confidently explain to media/law enforcement that not only is he fulfilling a niche and doing so legally but he's promoting public health. Now if I owned the bar then we'd be good to go! Tell you though if anti-smoking groups have half a brain they'll start getting on board with promoting vaping.

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Is it just me or is all this categorizing of posts a little bit extreme. Love this forum...best I've ever been on. But it's like you have to pre-decide upon what you want to talk about in advance. This one got moved in the middle of a little verbal exchange and killed it! Nothing but love guys but geesh. Makes me wonder what items of interest I may be missing because I haven't stumbled upon the right category yet.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Is it just me or is all this categorizing of posts a little bit extreme. Love this forum...best I've ever been on. But it's like you have to pre-decide upon what you want to talk about in advance. This one got moved in the middle of a little verbal exchange and killed it! Nothing but love guys but geesh. Makes me wonder what items of interest I may be missing because I haven't stumbled upon the right category yet.

Yeah I do agree... If this thread had a little more movement in the right place..then a lot more ideas would spread from a larger group of individuals and then, all sides of this overall idea would grow into a workable solution. Give this one a little more time and it may.. but I would have to agree that I love this forum.. It has its ups and downs.. serves its purpose well, overall, you are right about the magnitude of separation throughout the forum, though. As a collective, I believe I would have limited the degree of separation into special interest groups, created sections for each different topic based on a test run or query, and ran with it!!!

Have a good one!!!
Tom

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah I do agree... If this thread had a little more movement in the right place..then a lot more ideas would spread from a larger group of individuals and then, all sides of this overall idea would grow into a workable solution. Give this one a little more time and it may.. but I would have to agree that I love this forum.. It has its ups and downs.. serves its purpose well, overall, you are right about the magnitude of separation throughout the forum, though. As a collective, I believe I would have limited the degree of separation into special interest groups, created sections for each different topic based on a test run or query, and ran with it!!!

Have a good one!!!
Tom

Ya.....what he said! Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread