Yellow Clearence, Black Box $5.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

invidregis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chicago, USA
Last month I was thinking of making a power pack from off the shelf Radio Shack Parts with a USB connector. While waiting for my back order batteries Bastage beat me to the USB connector. :p

While looking at the battery box I have I thought why not connect the atomizer direct to the box, throw a switch on it and be done. It looks a bit odd but for in the house who cares, not to mention I'm not tethered to the computer. I bought 2 boxes at 1.99 each, a 2 switch pack for 2.99, the batteries were 4 bucks a pop, and the charger 14.95.

The batteries are Ultrafire 14500 900 mah, just as powerful as the Screwdriver batteries.

Heres some pics.
CIMG0270.jpg

CIMG0271.jpg

CIMG0272.jpg

As you can see I used the brass fittings so the atomizer is replaceable.

Not to shabby for about 38 bucks. Thats 4 batteries that last all day, and 2 power packs, one for the 901 and one for the pen.

invidregis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chicago, USA
looks good mate....how are they performing?

I have only had them up and running for 2 days, but the vapor is better than with the stock batteries. I won't bring them to work, but they last from when I get home till bed time with no loss in vapor. You do have to be careful not to accidently push the switch, you'll fry the atomizer.

invidregis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chicago, USA
how did you get the fittings that the atomizer screws into?

From dead batteries. The 901 I just popped out with a dowel rod in the LED end. Drilled (I think 1/4 inch bit) in the plastic, fit like a glove. The drill bit barely fit in the battery tube.

The pen one needed to be out a little longer to allow for the atomizer holes. So Again dowel rod, then hack sawed 1/2 inch of the battery tube off. Same drill bit, a little scraping off the inside of the plastic hole with an exacto knife, and some gorilla glue.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
invid,

over the next week, do me a favor (if I am even in a position to ask one...lol)

If you could smoke the same juice, and use the same atomizer for a week. A good one with an easy draw. After 5-7 days, could you tell me if the atomizer itself has junked up at all or the draw has gotten any tougher?

I ask because I am on day 6 with my USB. I use it almost exclusively, and normally after about 4-5 days, you can notice a drop off as far as draw is concerned. It tends to tighten up, and get heavier. What I noticed with my USB atomizer though, is I have ZERO performance loss. No harder draw, no issues whatsoever with all the added extra power.

I'm starting to think that when a battery starts to weaken (about 30 minutes before charge time) it doesn't totally vaporize the liquid, thus resulting in a tougher draw. Over time, this lack in power tends to junk up the atomizer itself because you can't run a battery a full power for hours on end (Without upgrading at least)

know what I'm talking about invid?

edisme518123

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2008
Daytona Beach, Florida (USA)
Cash, the prospect of the atomizer performing better due to constant power is interesting especially considering what I learned from the death of mine. The culprit, I suspect, was the grime that collected on the heating coil of the atomizer causing the heating filament to overwear and snap. Upon further investigation of this "grime" it had a similar consistency to heavy-weighted lubrication grease, similar to the gunk used in industrial bearings and moving fixtures. Not sure how or why all this grease accumulated on the coil, but I think it may have been due to the liquid not atomizing completely. I'd like to see further investigation into this as well.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Cash, the prospect of the atomizer performing better due to constant power is interesting especially considering what I learned from the death of mine. The culprit, I suspect, was the grime that collected on the heating coil of the atomizer causing the heating filament to overwear and snap. Upon further investigation of this "grime" it had a similar consistency to heavy-weighted lubrication grease, similar to the gunk used in industrial bearings and moving fixtures. Not sure how or why all this grease accumulated on the coil, but I think it may have been due to the liquid not atomizing completely. I'd like to see further investigation into this as well.

It could also be remnants from using the atomizer and not having enough to fully vaporize. You may have had enough power to vape MOST of the liquid, but a film left over that is only vaporized when having full power or heated to a certain temp ...

Bastage ... would like your input on this too bud, and anyone else with a DIY full power Ecig like Trog's screwdriver....

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
It could also be remnants from using the atomizer and not having enough to fully vaporize. You may have had enough power to vape MOST of the liquid, but a film left over that is only vaporized when having full power or heated to a certain temp ...

Bastage ... would like your input on this too bud, and anyone else with a DIY full power Ecig like Trog's screwdriver....

I've just pm'd Bastage about making me one Steve. I just can't stand your constant bragging anymore! :p I'll use one of my atomizers exclusively on the usb once I have it and let you know how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread