Yes I still Smoke Cigarettes and I am addicted to the smoking habit - support and chat thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
First of all I want to make it clear - there is NOTHING wrong with us. We are not broken nor are we failures and ashamed to be here. Smoking is addictive and we are addicts. Lets face it quitting for some of us is one of the most difficult challenges we've ever faced. While we continue in our struggle to quit completely we just can't get past the need for a cigarette. This is a thread where We can freely and openly discuss the difficulty we are having making the transition completely from cigarettes to vaping. A thread where We can chat, rant, and get the support We need from each other. We can offer up our own personal experiences and ask for suggestions how to accomplish our individual goals.

We also welcome our other ECF friends who support "Us" in our "Transition into the vaping World" however keep in mind (as hmlessalky so eloquently put it) "there are a myriad of threads where people can talk about how they have completely given up cigarettes and have people pat them on the back and such. This is a place where people, who may feel ashamed for not being a 'success', can post and not feel alone or guilty. I understand that people are trying to be supportive and such, but I have been vaping (off and on) for a few years, and as much as possible for over a year. I have tried hundreds of juices, lots of devices and delivery systems, and kept my nic level at 24mg for about a year. I still can't seem to give up those last few. Some days I don't smoke at all, but they are far and few between. I have eliminated at least 37 cigarettes from my life each day though, and for that I feel a huge success. I feel much better, smell much better, and look much better (not really!).

Anyway, thank you for your stories of giving up the stinkies all together, but maybe the point is being missed. We all hope to give them up for good, but, until we do, we have a place to not feel like we are a failure of some sort, or a freak"

Last edited:

dilong1717

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2012
Newark, DE
This is great. Thank you so very much lox for putting your time & effort into this. I'll be the first to admit the feeling of jealousy for those who quit smoking the day they started vaping or shortly after but, I am also extremely happy for those who were able to conquer it so quickly & easily. I do have days where I think to myself, vaping tastes sooooo much better so why can't put down the cigs. I try not to beat myself up about. Every time I go and buy a pack I think to myself, this will be the last pack I buy. It never is. But I refuse to give up as I search daily for a juice that I LOVE in hopes that finding it will be the answer I've been searching for.

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
Ok I'll kick it off with my story some of you may remember from the contest thread.
I've been vaping for 3 years now and at first I thought it was easy - I got an e-cig and 3 days later I was smoke free. :2cool:
Then after being smoke free for 7 months I picked up a cigarette and I was hooked all over again :( now I won't bore you all with boring details or excuses - its no ones fault but my own. I'm an addict plain and simple. I smoked 2 to 3 packs a day since I was 14 and now I'm down to less than half a pack a day. I can live with that and I'm not embarrassed or ashamed that I'm struggling - point is I'm going to keep trying and I'm here to try to help anyone and everyone I can to succeed where I haven't (yet ;) )
It bothers me that some people here are embarrassed or ashamed of the fact they haven't been able to kick those last few cigarettes. I know its frustrating reading all the success "I quit within 3 drags of an ecig" stories.
Imagine how I feel knowing I've helped so many others either quit or stay off cigarettes - yet I myself haven't been able to.
But I'm telling you DON'T BE ASHAMED - we're here to help. Just ask. No need to feel like a failure or be embarrassed - you've taken the biggest step and that's trying to quit. That right there is very commendable. You should be proud of the fact that although your still struggling, your committed to your goal and you HAVE NOT GIVEN UP THE FIGHT. So as of right now STOP counting the ones you do smoke and START counting the ones you don't smoke. Speak up and let us try to help you along. That's why we're here. Heck even if we can't do anything other than offer encouragement or even a friendly ear to listen to you - we're here for you. We've all been where you are - some of us still are - but we can do this together or die trying. :toast:

thumper3ld

Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
NYC
I still have the occasional cigarette. But it all depends on who I hang out with. For the most part, I've gone days even weeks with out an analog, but when I chill with my cousin, or if I'm going to be out all day with smokers, I will eventually have one. I think the first step though is to make the initial decision to not buy a pack for one day, and then go from there. The first day I finally decided not to buy a pack for the first time, I went 5 days without an analog. The next time I bought a pack, it took me 5 days to finish that pack because I found that I preferred to vaping more. As i've said, i still have the occasional analog, but it is far less often now a days. Hope this helps.

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
This is great. Thank you so very much lox for putting your time & effort into this. I'll be the first to admit the feeling of jealousy for those who quit smoking the day they started vaping or shortly after but, I am also extremely happy for those who were able to conquer it so quickly & easily. I do have days where I think to myself, vaping tastes sooooo much better so why can't put down the cigs. I try not to beat myself up about. Every time I go and buy a pack I think to myself, this will be the last pack I buy. It never is. But I refuse to give up as I search daily for a juice that I LOVE in hopes that finding it will be the answer I've been searching for.

Juice does make a huge difference. As does equipment. Neither can make us quit obviously but it does help tremendously.

morri

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2012
Texas
Yay Loxxy!

I am so happy you made this thread! I am here to support and when I do break down and have a smoke, I will know where to come for help and support. I am so glad you said what you did about none of us being "broken" or "needing to be fixed". I have to stop and think about this for a minute but me and a lot of other people, do not start vaping in order to quit smoking. We really like the idea of getting our nicotine in a way that doesn't hurt us. We all.......well........lots of us are still using nicotine and may always do so. So, it is just a different way to get to the same place. You guys (and sometimes me) just need to figure out the best and happiest way to do that.... whether it be with the WTA (I think that is right) or the snus or whatever. We may all find out that we have been brainwashed. Not even kidding here. Just like flipping a switch. I am not a big one on all those crazy conspiracy theories but hey........... I do believe in ET. I saw the movie. ;)

huggles
Morri

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
I am so happy you opened this because now I can tell you this.

I was just looking for something and looked in a bag I had thrown on a chair. I found what I was looking for AND found a pack of butts I had bought. I had forgotten I bought them on the same day. Well my thought when I saw it was.......Bonuuusss. :facepalm:

Is that too much? I can't help it. That's what I thought. Cause now I don't have to go buy one. :blush:

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
as some people know I still smoke 2 cigs a day, at bedtime, because I'm old and I want to. I got down to 2 cigs a day a month or so after starting vaping 2 years ago

my goal was to go from 2 1/2 pad to 1 pad. I had no intention of quitting! I liked smoking :) the main reason I didn't plan to quit was I was not going to allow the nannys and the government to dictate to me what I could do in my personal life. I'm still a little like that 15 year old who if told to not do something then becomes bound and determined to make sure they do it LOL. I refuse to buy scott garden products because they even dictate that their employees families can't smoke either :mad:. I like to go park in lowes parking lots and vape in my car because apparently that isn't allowed either!

the only reason I wanted to cut back was the cost was killing me. I happen to think that (at least some) nicotine is probably good for us.

I am proud that I have been able to hold my cigs at 2 a day without going over. I am proud that I don't even think of having a cig until it is getting close to bedtime. right or wrong, I do consider myself a non smoker too.
one of the things I love about getting old is I really only care about what I think of myself, I could give a flying fig what others think of me :)

on this forum there is no need to be embarrassed or ashamed about what stage you are in. this isn't a quit smoking forum it is a vaping forum.

I don't judge smokers ... you won't see me calling cigs "stinkies" or complain about the smell of smoke, etc.

so, do the best you can and don't judge yourself, there are plenty of people out there to do that for you :blink:

emilysunshine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2010
Texas
We all deserve a pat on the back for what we have accomplished so far. I feel like I chose the wrong thread to vent in last night. That was a contest thread, But I was feeling like a zero at the time for smoking after being so long without them. I have no plans to smoke anymore, but if I do, I will come back and read this thread and not feel so bad. And I want to thank you all for your words of encouragement and virtual hugs after letting me vent last night.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I don't know as I should post in here, because I am a success story. I started vaping when e-cigarettes were just starting to appear in America, back in late 2007 or early 2008. The concept appealed to me. At that time I was also experimenting with nicorette, patches, snuff, eclipse ashless cigarettes, and various forms of chewing tobaccos. I eventually gave up on e-cigarettes after supplementing their use with regular cigarettes. At that time, the cost balance favored cigarettes, e-cigs were much more expensive, and the flavors available then were not what you would call, "tasty."

After coming across threads on two other forums that I'm a member of, asking if anyone else "vaped," I became intrigued with the concept of vaping all over again and dug out my old nJoy King kit to see if I could do it this time. Unfortunately, the cartridges were all empty, and so I headed down to the store to purchase more. I ended up getting a whole new 510 starter kit. A week later and I had upgraded to the eGo system. A short time later I was using Variable Voltage devices. Through all of this I continued smoking. Sometimes dropping to a few cigarettes a day, sometimes going as high as my usual pack a day habit. Mostly I was vaping non-stop with an occasional cigarette break, going through a pack of smokes every two or three days.

I wasn't really trying to quit. At that point I was counting success by the cigarettes I hadn't smoked that day.

Two things happened to change all of that. An unexpected expense left me broke for several days and I started vaping WTA tobacco flavored juices full time, with only the occasional fruity or dessert vape in the evening. 5 days passed, then 10, then I hadn't had a cigarette in two weeks. Aside from the occasional brief craving, I was off of the smokes. "Would it last," I wondered? Only one way to find out. Last night I bummed a cigarette from my cousin. I had to bum a lighter too, as I had stopped carrying a lighter some days previous.

Half excited, half in trepidation, I lit it up and took a long drag. I looked at it in surprise, "What the hell?" I couldn't taste any tobacco. Only burned paper. Two more drags. I knew this is when most people start liking the taste again. Nothing. Only a surging nicotine buzz. Another drag, followed by a wheezing cough. Oh yeah...I'd forgotten about that. Several more drags all tasting like charred paper with the barest hint of tobacco, and now there was a nasty taste in my mouth. I looked at the cigarette. two thirds smoked. One third to go.

I put it out. Pulled out my PV. Took a drag off of it. Smiled. Because I knew that cigarettes would no longer have any attraction for me. I still enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke, but now it's like the smell of popcorn. I love the smell of popcorn, but I don't care for the taste.

I hope you guys will find my story inspiring. It took months to get to this point. I didn't think I could ever put down the cigarettes. I figured the best I could hope for was to cut back on my smoking. Without WTA juice, I would most likely still be smoking. If I go back to smoking, I won't beat myself up over it, I'll just try to remember that I beat it once, when I thought that was impossible. :)

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I smoked occaisional (those MUST HAVE) cigarettes for weeks after starting with e-cigs. I didn't want to quit smoking. I wanted a viable, healthier alternative. My mindset with e-cigs was, "This will do." It took constant conscious self-control to tell myself to get past the urge for a cigarette. If, after vaping heavily for several minutes, I wasn't satisfied, I'd lught-up.

I got down to my last couple cigarettes. I was at my buddy's house working on cars (hobby). I smoked my last cigarette, and FREAKED DA EFF OUT!! I didn't have a pack in my pocket as a security blanket for if the e-cig wasn't "enough". I immediately went and bought another pack. I didn't open it for 6hrs. I smoked about a dozen of those cigarettes over the next week. The following week, I was able to walk around with cigarettes in my pocket without lighting a single one.

This is my success. I hope you will find yours. My best advice would be to continually tell yourself that the e-cig is "Good enough" to get you through the craving. When you really want a cigarette, pick up your e-cig and vape your brains out. If the urge to smoke passes, you've crossed a hurdle. There will be more . Practice for finish line. Good luck!

randomname79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
bolton ontario
something i've noticed in the last couple days is the less i try to quit the less i smoke, It's like there's no pressure to stop so i just end up vaping more because i like the taste. Went out and bought 3 days worth of smokes today and at the rate i'm going now they'll last over a week......or not :)

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I'm really glad someone posted a link to this thread...it's really awesome to see how much we have in common.

I'm totally new, but I was one of those "instant quitters by accident" stories. Didn't want to quit but thought if e-cigs were a decent alternative I might cut down some (or maybe quit depending).

When I got my non-disposable e-cig was when I had my last cigarette for 2 weeks. For someone not wanting to quit, to quit so easily was mind blowing. The first week was a little tough but nothing I couldnt' get through. Once I hit the two week mark I figured it would get easier. But over the weekend, just before bed, I started getting insane cravings to have a smoke. Last night (on the 3rd night) I gave in. I had 1/2 a cigarette, it tasted awful but was so relaxing!

I tell myself I'm not going to beat myself up over it, but it still makes me feel a little like a loser that I couldn't just get over it. I"m back to vaping and I guess I"ll just take it as it comes.

Thank you for offering this great forum for support and community!

Last edited:

hmlessalky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Imperial, MO
Oh boy, a support page with 'I quit completely' posts already! Not trying to be a grump, but there are a myriad of threads where people can talk about how they have completely given up cigarettes and have people pat them on the back and such. This is a place where people, who may feel ashamed for not being a 'success', can post and not feel alone or guilty. I understand that people are trying to be supportive and such, but I have been vaping (off and on) for a few years, and as much as possible for over a year. I have tried hundreds of juices, lots of devices and delivery systems, and kept my nic level at 24mg for about a year. I still can't seem to give up those last few. Some days I don't smoke at all, but they are far and few between. I have eliminated at least 37 cigarettes from my life each day though, and for that I feel a huge success. I feel much better, smell much better, and look much better (not really!).

Anyway, thank you for your stories of giving up the stinkies all together, but maybe the point is being missed. We all hope to give them up for good, but, until we do, we have a place to not feel like we are a failure of some sort, or a freak.

When I give someone a starter kit, I tell them where I am, and where I came from. And I tell them to give it a fair shot and at least try to eliminate some cigarettes from their lives. And I wish them luck (and tell them if they don't use it to give it back because my vape budget is eaten away by all the stuff I give away!) and ask them to let me know how it is going in a few weeks. I think I have had only one person switch completely, and a bunch cut back drastically. They both get my kudos and support in their future endeavors.

Sorry if I seem ranty and disjointed. Nothing personal to anyone, I just had to put my thoughts down on (digital) paper.

I hope I can be of help in some way on this thread.

Keep up the good fight!

Salky

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
................. I smoked about a dozen of those cigarettes over the next week. The following week, I was able to walk around with cigarettes in my pocket without lighting a single one................

I carried cigs around with me for 6 months after I started vaping...even though I was only smoking the 2 at bedtime. my security blanket. the first time I left the house without cigs in my purse was a milestone for me :)

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
I carried cigs around with me for 6 months after I started vaping...even though I was only smoking the 2 at bedtime. my security blanket. the first time I left the house without cigs in my purse was a milestone for me :)

I know what you mean. I still have cigs around but I don't freak out if I have less than half a pack and I now have been known to leave the house with only a few. It's funny what a big step that is. It used to be like leaving the house not completely dressed. Not that I have done that mind you. lol

hmlessalky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Imperial, MO
Phew, I totally thought I would get flamed for my last post!

I am not saying that there shouldn't be success stories here, it would be nice if someday we could all drop in the thread and say "hey guys, I am here to help, but I have finally made it over that hill...." The same with advice/suggestions. I would love to hear what helped other people finally give up those last few, but maybe in a 'have you tried this?' format as opposed to a 'this is what worked for me'.

I'll admit it, I always figured I was just weak by not being able to stop smoking completely. I was a heavy drinker years back, and gave it up completely with no problems for about 6 months, just to show that I could do it. Why is this so different? Once I committed to the e-cig I went from 2 packs to 3 cigs in less than a week and even had a week or so where I did quit altogether. But I kept falling back into my 3-a-day average. I have had many instances where I said "once I get this new device/juice/tank I will be able to give 'em up for good", and yet here I am. I am glad I am not alone.

Thanks for the awesome thread lox. Hope everyone has a spectacular day!

Salky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread