Yet another cartridge filler thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I know this has been covered many times. I just thought I would tell of my experiments and results. I have been pleased with the performance of my 510's. I like others have enjoyed the great vapor production.
but, I have noted that with a little age the cartridges no longer wick as well as they once did. The abundance of other users experiences have caused me to experiment to see if I could improve the liquid delivery.

I tried the straw which offered some improvement. I tried the analog filter which did great for a little while too. But when I tried the coffee filter I really found a big improvement. I don't have to top off nearly as much as with the other products. I still have to experiment with the amount of material needed to make the perfect fill but I'm already very close. The results so far is that a lot of the juice that is put into the carts is actually used before needing to refill. With the original material normally less than have of the juice is actually able to reach the atomizer.

I am no where near an expert on this subject. I just thought I would pass on my experiences. I hope soon to figure out how to extend the life span of my atomizers.

I hope this helps someone.

Kevin

Boom!

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
San Antonio, TX
tried the coffee filter only twice. First attempt I figured I had used too little and rolled too loose, second attempt I used more and rolled tighter. Both attempts worked for a little while. I got good smooth action for a little while. I pulled the cart off to look at it once it started to taper off and the coffee filter still looked soaked!

I can vape a polyfill till it looks pretty dry. Do the coffee filters ever get dry or do you just keep topping it off when the vapor starts to run out?

I'm also "juice conscious" and don't really want to waste a lot trying to get this right. So a TIP I've started using if I feel like my latest experiment has failed, I pull the stuffing (whatever I just used) and shove it into an empty syringe with no needle on it. This usually lets me get most of whatever leftover juice back before I chunk it and start experimenting again.

Anonomo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2009
Missouri
I'm going to give the coffee filters a try just for comparison sakes. I can do without the awful burnt taste a dried out poly-fil cart delivers occasionally. I saw a video on this site demonstrating extracting juice(recycling?) out of spent poly-fil using a syringe. Good idea if you vape only one flavor, otherwise you'd have to track what flavors each spent cart contained. More trouble than its worth in my case, juice ain't that expensive yet. :p

violetvoo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Down the rabbit hole..
I'm going to give the coffee filters a try just for comparison sakes. I can do without the awful burnt taste a dried out poly-fil cart delivers occasionally. I saw a video on this site demonstrating extracting juice(recycling?) out of spent poly-fil using a syringe. Good idea if you vape only one flavor, otherwise you'd have to track what flavors each spent cart contained. More trouble than its worth in my case, juice ain't that expensive yet. :p
Squeezing juice out of cartridge filler does seem like a lot of effort for such little reward. Maybe if juice is outlawed and scarce but not now for me.

need_2quit

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
usa
i squeeze out my juice and put it in a 3ml bottle, topping it up every time i clean my carts. i call it my mystery juice heheh.

what i do to draw the juice out is try not to pool it > vape it down till the top of the cart is a little dry > park the cart with the cap in my case > vape the atty till vapor decreases > drip the atty and smoke it down> grab a parked cart which has now soaked up a lot of the juice again and vape some more.

FYI - if you squeeze juice, put it in a plastic dropper bottle. I made the mistake of using some juicyliquid glass bottles with the cork. Went to get my stash and the cork absorbed all the juice! cute bottles though ;-)

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Well, one day into the coffee filters and I'm not so excited about it. I do get more vapor using this filler but am also getting a "wet paper" taste that is getting annoying. Also I don't get as good a throat hit even though the vapor is higher. I'm not going to give up yet though. I'll give it more time and experiment with different amounts of filler material.

Kevin

Vapor Fiend

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2009
Cali4nia
I'm going to try using coffee filter soon.

What I do now is take about a quarter of the regular filler and stuff it down on one side of the atomizer and stick a 901 mouthpiece (Just the mouthpiece tip that sits in the 901 cartridges) in the atomizer. The lip on the mouthpiece snaps into the 510 cart perfectly. It eliminates the need for the 510 cartridge all together, causing less gaps between atomizer and mouth so I think I get a better hit.

I'll try to take some pictures to show you what I mean. The 901 carts have a piece that is just a flat mouthpiece with a little round part that has a flanged lip. They work perfectly for the 510 atomizer

Chorizo

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
IN
I just got my 510 today, but I had been using tea bags with my 901 and that seemed to actually work pretty well.

I didn't like any of the liquid in the carts that came with the 510, so I just put a tea bag in an empty one and filled with the liquid I have here.

I really like the tea bag, has been going pretty well for me so far and it's not difficult. I just empty the tea bag and then roll it loosely, insert in cart, works well for me.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I think I have given up on the coffee filter material. I can't get past that wet paper taste. Besides that, do you know how many chemicals are used to make paper? Not meant to be eaten.

I have been experimenting with analog filters. They hold a large amount of juice and I get no added taste from that material. The problem so far is that they stop wicking after several uses. I have added the straw to the test cartridge and it works really well, lots of vapor. I'll see if the continued use will improve with the straw.

Kevin

Enfield

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
SE Michigan, USA
Sure, China *could* make filler plugs, but it makes much better business sense for them to make consumers pay for the whole cartridge assembly. I could see U.S. vendors making their own filler plug kits, similar to the way we see vendors offering liquids, empty bottles and syringes for sale. At the other end of the spectrum is the DIY'ers who are always looking for new and cheaper ways to keep their PV's a-vaping, hot-rod them up, or build their own from scratch.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I've been using the analog filter material for 4 days now along side a stock cart. I have done the straw modification on both carts and have been alternating from one to the other as a test. So far the analog filter is the better performer. I know this isn't a very scientific test but so far the analog filter is holding up well but so is the stock filler material. From session to session the analog filler material seems to allow me to vape more liquid than the stock filler material. I can usually drip about 25% more liquid back into the analog cart than I can into the stock filler cart. The straw mod is definately helping both cartridges perform longer.

The source for the analog cart filler is some 100mm cig tubes I had used when I was doing RYO cigs. I found that the standard length tuber didn't have enough length to fit the 510 carts. I still have to cut some of the material off to make it fit. So far I have no taste interferance from the analog filler. I have used these 2 carts exclusively for the past 4 days. Luckily I haven't had to take a trip at work so I can continue to top off these guys.

One note I will add about the straw mod is that it is easy to overfill the carts. This can result in liquid passing out the mouth piece into your mouth or leaking at the battery connection.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread