The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Yihi SX Mini 350 vs rDNA 40 VS (Pros & Cons?)

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by oDANo, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. oDANo

oDANo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 29, 2013
    VA
    Can't decide on which to purchase, I like the stealth box style of the vaporshark, and I love the magnetic door cover, but I hate the 30+ day back order, and the current issues evolv is having with the new board. What is everyone's thought on the two?

2. Singha

Singha Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Paris-Fr
    I spent an entire week end to think about this before to decide to order the sx mini.

Why?
    I had many dna (12-20-30) mods and did not like the cut off too high, with most of them it was impossible to go to the maximum supposed wattage and was also affraid to get a problem with a 1st batch board.

I owned before to order just one sx350 box and love it and i think battery life is very good with it.

Now than i have the sx350 mini, just 2 cons : take off battery does not need a screw driver but at least a coin, when it is charging with the usb you can't see when it is fully charged you need to wake up screen and look at battery volts (should be fixed with a next upgrade).

Price difference was about 30€ in my country so not a big deal.

Regarding vaping quality both are great but the 3 mods soft/normal/powerful with sx mini are a plus.

Sorry for my english and good luck! :D

3. oDANo

Oct 29, 2013
    VA
    Definitely one of the answers I was looking for, thank you so much ! I have a couple questions if you don't mind. I see in your signature it says you have the VS DNA30, do you have the new rDNA30 or 40? I'm not much of a fan of the DNA30 since it's LiPo battery. Anyway, how are the 3 mods on the SX350, soft/normal/powerful, what are those used for exactly? And is there a warranty on the SX350 mini

4. xtwosm0kesx

xtwosm0kesx Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

rDNA40 imo

Don't have a VS but after using a DNA40 and the Temp Protection/Control/nickel for awhile ill never buy another non-TP/C board.

Nice thing about the DNA40 is you can run regular Kanthal builds if you don't want to use TP/C, or build with nickel.

Believe they've eliminated most of the board issues at this point, the new large screen DNA40's have had ZERO issues according to Evolv, but either way Evolv/VS will take care of you if you have problems.

5. Singha

Dec 21, 2011
    Paris-Fr
    @oDANo
    I have the lipo dna30, it is very nice except when you need to change it... as shipping to/from USA is expensive from here... a guy working in a mobile phone shop changed it for me but i was not really confident before.

For example if you want 30 w:
    Soft will start at about 20 before to reach the 30
    Normal will fire directly at 30
    Powerful will fire at 40 before to go to 30
    So depending of your style and aty you use.

Waranty is one year from YIHI, after i guess it depends on your vendor to see if you can deal with it directly in case of problem.

@xtwosm0kesx
    Yep TP should be a big Pros but i stopped to use rba/rta and don't want to rebuild, when it will be easy to find Aspire nickel coils i could try it. ;)

6. oDANo

Oct 29, 2013
    VA
    I don't really use nickel, so I'm not too worried about that, but here are some of my reasons:

rDNA40
    -Magnetic Battery Cover
    -Box style
    -Wireless Charging
    -Temp Protection
    -4 Month Warranty
    -40Watts
    -Reverse Polarity Protection
    -Long Backorder

SX350 Mini
    -Battery Screw Cover
    -60watts upgradeable to 120w I believe
    -3 Modes (Soft/Normal/Powerful)
    -Passthrough capable
    -In Stock

7. xtwosm0kesx

xtwosm0kesx Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If you want to use the TP features of the DNA40 you will have to build with ni200 nickel wire(very soft). (can technically use titanium and nickel/kanthal combos, but will effect temp ranges/chip calcs).

Not sure about the warranty thing, i know DNA40 chips bought directly from Evolv have a 1 year warranty, and they will repair an already assembled mod.

8. dr g

dr g Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    What? This is flat out false. Genuine DNAs ALWAYS hit maximum wattage and are the most reliable boards on the market in that department. They NEVER under-deliver.

For the OP, temperature control ends the discussion for me. Anything else is old tech.

9. oDANo

Oct 29, 2013
    VA
    TC would be a nice feature, me myself don't and will never use nickel, so it's not much of a deal breaker for me.

10. oDANo

Oct 29, 2013
    VA
    -edit- found the size specs.

Is the rDNA40 have the passthrough ability?

11. Cotay

Cotay Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

12. Singha

Dec 21, 2011
    Paris-Fr
    I mean impossible to use at 30w because of error message on screen or reboot, tried with a woodbox and vtc5 or the lipo dna30 from vaporshark...with an atlantis.
    Maybe i am unlucky with built quality but iit is not battery quality as i can go 30w with the same vtc5 in a sx box...
    Did not want to mean values are false and i never owned a dna clone.
    That is why i should not write in english i can understand myself but it is more difficult for others.

13. Singha

Dec 21, 2011
    Paris-Fr
    Yes and good night for me.

14. dr g

dr g Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    complete, utter BS. evolv boards have, absolutely unquestionably, the best regulation in the industry.

15. alistairs

alistairs Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

There is a reason Vaporsharks are back ordered and the Yihi SX Mini is not. Demand far exceeds supply because (1) the DNA40 is the most advanced chip on the market offering many improvements over the DNA30 including step-down, reverse battery protection, and coil temperature control; and (2) the Vaporshark rDNA devices are superb - very small, reliable, adding fast USB or wireless charging and are the least expensive DNA40 mod yet backed up by full warranty/upgrade/repair services.

The Yihi is a fine device I'm sure, but the only reason I see to buy it over an rDNA40 is if you prefer the form factor, or really need those extra watts.

16. oDANo

Oct 29, 2013
    VA
    Well said indeed ^ , I do believe the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the rDNA is because of the back order.. Thanks for your insight though, it was very helpful!

17. Chesh97

Chesh97 Full Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Indiana
    I thought it was because of bad chip sets that the rDNA is backordered 30+ days

18. dravell

dravell Super Member

Jul 29, 2014
    United States
    I literally cant think of even one reason someone would get a rDNA 40 over the Mini if they didnt want TC.
    I mean unless wireless charging is your deal breaker.

19. oDANo

Oct 29, 2013
    VA
    1. 3 Different Modes
    2. DIfferent style
    3. Current issues with the 40 board.

To each their own. I do prefer the rDNA myself.

20. dravell

dravell Super Member

Jul 29, 2014
    United States
    I own a Mini, I know its perks, i was saying i cant think of a reason of getting the shark OVER the mini =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.