The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Yihi SX Mini 350 vs rDNA 40 VS (Pros & Cons?)

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by oDANo, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Major911

Major911 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2014
    Grand Island, FL, USA
    Your comparing apples to oranges. They are two entirely different boards. If you want temperature protection and regulation the the vaporshark rdna40 is the ticket. If you want your average run of the mill vape (they are all pretty much the same give or take a few features or watts) then go with the sxmini. About the only thing they have in common is price.

2. KC33

KC33 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2013
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
    Where do you come up with such poor advice? The evolv chip has done nothing but frustrate an enormous amount of customers due to recalls and poor quality control. The Vapor Shark is 30 days backordered due to all the problems with the rdna not because it's in such high demand.

I have nothing against evolv but trying to make the SX350 mini chip sound inferior is just naive.

3. Jonner

Jonner Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    They are two entirely different boards. If you want to be an early adopter of a technology that is still in its infancy, and all of the problems and glitches that go along with that, the Vaporshark is the one you want.

If you want a well put together mod with a great board that has no glitches to speak of, is high quality, and will do what you ask of it, the SXMini is for you.

I think Temperature Protection and Regulation might be in the future of vaping, but still too early to tell. The VS seems like an experiment to me, let's try it and see how it works out. And if you need Temp. Control to keep from burning a wick, you are doing something wrong, VERY wrong, it's vaping at its most basic level.

4. Endor

Endor Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Southern California
    Couldn't agree more... Evolv is an innovator, and I respect them for that. Temp control is a perfect example of a very interesting innovation. Once the bugs are worked out, it could be a game changer. But, based on what I've read, it's not quite ready yet. I wasn't willing to futz with it right now. I want something that works reliably, especially if it is going to take me months to get.

So, sitting here today vaping away on my simply wonderful SX Mini, I contend that it is far from an inferior "run of the mill vape". It is high quality, feels good in the hand, has fantastic buttons, is a great size/form factor, a stainless steel 510 connector (I've stripped plenty brass 510s in my vaping life), and has given me ZERO issues.

5. MrPlink

MrPlink Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Very unlikely indeed.
    But howbout you try to live up to your user name and use some facts instead of always coming off like a brainless fanboy.

6. peterforpats

peterforpats Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

yes, i believe him- not every person is a crook or out to deceive. why some are actually nice and honest and try to help. this person falls under that category. to see for yourself why don't you contact yihi and ask- remember when they come out with TC you heard it here......

7. Agnes Black

Agnes Black Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2014
    STL, MO
    I'm very excited to have a custom made box mod with the Yihi SXmini chip in it. Since its dual 18650 its 120w, but I usually use it at @15-20w with Kayfun v4's. Have a number of DNA30 devices and with the bugs the DNA40 chip has, this is why I decided on this chip instead. PLUS the features. Gravity sensor, higher wattage for dripping, modes, you can use it as regulated or mechanical.... there's a pretty long list. Depending on the juice you're vaping, especially juices that have a tendency to taste burnt at higher wattages, you can use the soft mode so the voltage starts lower and in a second or two rises to the set voltage. I like the idea of temp control, but you can't do nearly as much with the chip. The only reason I declined getting the Yihi single 18650 mod is because its only 60w. Plus I wanted to give some business to a local box mod builder.

8. Major911

Major911 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2014
    Grand Island, FL, USA
    I have nothing against yihi and in no way implied that it was an inferior board. It simply doesn't bring anything new to the table like the dna40 albeit there have been a fair amount of bugs but thats to be expexted in any new technology. The question i was replying to asked for a comparison between the dna40 and the sxmini to which there really is no comparison since they are two different technologies. The issues you refer to with backorder of rdna's are a result of the company making sure the quality control issues have been addressed before shipping the product, much unlike many companies these days that simply rush to get something out there before everybody else with little regard for quality control. While I can appreciate your obvious bias for the sx350 you might want to do a bit of research on the subject before attempting to qualify the value of my advice

9. Cotay

Cotay Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I own both the SXMini and rDNA40, so I think I can speak objectively here. Both are amazing devices and both have unique features. Saying that the SX350 brings nothing new to the table is flat out incorrect; the power modes and upgradeability alone on the SXMini are unique and worth the price of entry. The guys from Evolv have publicly stated that the SX350 is a great chip and Yihi seems committed to improving it all of the time.

10. ZeroOhm

ZeroOhm Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    UK
    Over the 2 i would take the SX mini hands down Vaporsharks are shoddy I never understood the hype each time one comes in for repair!

11. Woofer

Woofer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2014
    PA, SK, CA
    In what way, design, fit and finish are excellent. My first was so shoddy I bought a second! :lol:

12. MrPlink

MrPlink Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Maybe the originals, the newer Rdna40s are pretty solid.

13. Endor

Endor Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Southern California
    My understanding is that the DNA 40 problems are issues with the boards themselves, and not really the mod per se?

That being said, what attracted me to the Vapor Shark to begin with is that it is a 'mass produced' DNA mod at a reasonable price. I don't have $300+ in my vaping budget to afford high-end custom / low production count mods (e.g. Flask, Hana, etc) without getting a divorce, nor do I have the patience to wait for these devices to arrive in stock.

I'm willing to accept a bit less quality for a device I can afford and not go on a waiting list to purchase. Which is why I was particularly impressed with the SX Mini, it seems like a great quality device for a price I was willing to pay -and- one I received in my mailbox 2 days after ordering.

14. dannyb3eleven

dannyb3eleven Full Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Chicago, IL, Milky Way
    I tend to be leaning toward the SX350 right now but also am willing to wait to see what Evolve has rolling out in the next few months with their upgraded boards. I am finding sometimes a little patience with making a purchase on a $200 mod is worth it. I would rather be completely satisfied and not have any buyers remorse 2 weeks after spending that kind of cash.

That being said, I think that they both are fantastic devices and both have incredible upside. I guess it just comes down to a matter of preference. Bottom line, as long as you're happy with what you're vaping on, it's certainly better than the alternative!

15. billybc96

billybc96 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Okay, so for those of you with the YiHi SX350 minis, where is a good place to buy one at a good price? I'm still up in the air on getting one. Both it and the DNAs are slightly larger devices than I'm used to. Just based on price, features and size, I've been leaning toward trying out an eLeaf iStick 30 as a replacement for my aging Innokin iTaste V3 batteries. That iStick would be bigger than a V3 for sure, but still somewhat pocket friendly. Would you classify either the Vaporsharks or SX350 Mini as being summer shirt pocket friendly? One big thing I like about the SX is that it uses easily replaceable rechargeable batteries, as well as being rechargable via USB (plus I think it just plan looks great). That is a plus to me in this age of ever growing threats of regulation. For now, I wouldn't put an RTA on any of my devices regularly (they are too large a topper for a V3 or similar shaped and sized device), but I have them if I need them. Things like that matter to me these days, but they are not my only consideration.

16. Woofer

Oct 8, 2014
    PA, SK, CA
    The Vaporshark rDNA`s all use easily replaceable rechargeable batteriesand are rechargable via USB

17. billybc96

billybc96 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    I understood that the Vaporsharks have to be sent back to the factory to have the battery replaced. Is that not true? I know some people have a watchmaker or someone like that do it sometimes, but it doesn't sound like it can easily be replaced at home - like if I wanted a few spares on charge to swap. (Instead of waiting on a USB charge of the one-and-only battery built into the device.) Please, correct me if I am wrong on that.

18. Woofer

Oct 8, 2014
    PA, SK, CA
  19. caged

caged Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    The rDNA 40 has a magnetic battery cover and the battery is easy to replace. You also have the option for USB charging, and the built in charger is very fast if your wall adapter can supply the amps. It also has built in wireless charging, but I'm not a fan of it since it really heats the unit up (having said that, I have not heard of any failures due to wireless charging).

20. NeuReleases

NeuReleases Senior Member Verified Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Fairfield, CT
    Wellllllllll now yihi is coming out with an updated version of the sxmini with temp control and 65 watts with 85 during passthrough mode. So if there was any question to this debate i am pretty sure yihi just stomped it. The sxmini is honestly the best device i have ever handled in terms of overall quality/ craftsmanship. VS feels like a toy in comparison, and now that the temp control field is going to be even i would not even consider the VS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.