Not open for further replies.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Well it seems to imply an automatic time limit. So it will cut out once it hits the joule number you set.

Yes, simply a dynamic cutoff then. I was almost hoping for some kind of "smart boost" function. If the controller assumed a certain heat loss when powered, and a certain heat loss when unpowered, and a certain heat capacity of the coil/wick, it could make a very rough estimate of the temperature of the system as you hit the button, and an even rougher estimate of the temperature change while you hold the button. This could help with quickly boosting the temperature to vaping temps, hopefully without obliterating the wick in the process, and then gradually lower the power as heat builds up.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it works - and how well.

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
I thought the whole reason for using titanium or nickel was that its resistance tracks linearly with its temperature. Because of that, if you know one, you can know the other. I'm so out of my league here, but if your coil is 0.1 ohm with ni-200 when resting and you apply a nominal power to it, you can track the change in resistance and dynamically "feather" your power to keep the coil below a certain temperature threshold.

I wouldn't normally pipe up about something I am so completely ignorant on, but I think in ballpark terms, it's close. If nothing else, maybe it will give the discussion that little bit it needs to continue. :)

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
What are the odds of a firmware update to turn the SX350mini into an SX350J?

Completely impossible according to Mast on the latest Plumes of Hazard podcast. There are physical temperature control chips present on the J board that aren't on the standard 350 board... he stressed it's just not happening and that SX350 mini owners should be aware.

Are you good with science? Meaning, hard science?

If so, you'll undestand it better. If not, it is a LOT of learning.

Basically, heat is measured in joules. In the UK, heat is measured in BTUs. Imagine they're the same thing. Heat is NOT temperature. Heat is what raises the temperature of something: imagine a liter of water at 100 degrees. Heat is what raises the temperature of that liter of water from 100 degrees to 101 degrees.

Joules is the measurement of that heat.

If you know how much heat you are applying to something (joules of heat), you can know what the temperature of that something is. Applying heat to a specific metal (joules into a specific metal) should give you an ability to estimate what the temperature of that specific metal will be.

This is me trying to put it in simple terms. Sadly, the science is tricky enough that it isn't so easy to describe it simply.

Does this mean that the board doesn't require nickel wire for TC? Do you think kanthal would work just as well?

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Count me in. I'll skip a box of cigars in March so I can snag one of these. This is as close as I've seen to my perfect device.
I pre ordered the Proteus, which is much closer to my perfect device.

I want to stop acrolein production and burnt cotton while conserving juice and battery life. The YiHi chip won't give me all of that.

NeuReleases

Verified Member
Dec 10, 2014
Fairfield, CT
I pre ordered the Proteus, which is much closer to my perfect device.

I want to stop acrolein production and burnt cotton while conserving juice and battery life. The YiHi chip won't give me all of that.

You have any studies saying that specifically the proteus and the proteus alone will only stop acrolein production entirely, or that there is even a link between the two in general? No. Honestly I am not trying to be insulting towards you but really there is ZERO evidence that there is even a connection between acrolein and temp yet in e cigs yet and while there is one with formaldehyde you would have to be taking some massive dry hits constantly to really be effected by it. I have no doubt that the proteus will be a decent device but honestly as far as the chipset goes they do not stand a chance against yihi. There is a reason that people praise them, i have worked with quite a few chips and the sx350 is without a doubt the single best one on the market in terms of quality/ performance by a pretty wide margin.

The creator of the device is making some absolutely insane claims about how it is going to single handedly change the world of vaping, that it is going to be bigger than the first mech, bigger than the first VV/VW, bigger than temp control, basically that it is the best thing ever to exist in vaping. Yet despite these bold claims he has shown nothing to prove it other than a basic tube mod with preset wattage/temp controls, 35w max power, and can use titanium wire, oh yeah and it uses little blinking LED lights as its only method of seeing what the hell is going on. I truly do not understand how someone can read such claims and then totally believe them with zero evidence. It is like someone coming to you and promising 50% annual returns on your investment as long as you put in at least 1000000 first and after asking what they will be investing in they just say the stock market, not even specific stocks, just stock market. Like would you really be that naive to put trust in them to come through with that, because it would certainly not be ending very well for you and whoever else they could convince.

Simply put, that guy is full of ..... and i feel sorry for the people who are going to get conned into thinking they will be buying the be-all-end-all god of the vaping world. If he with minimal chip building experience manages to beat something like the sx350 line from yihi i will personally eat my own ....ing shoe.

Last edited:

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
No studies whatsoever. My daily drive is an SX350 chipped Atlas mod from Tatroe. I have NO GG devices as of yet other than a used Tilemahos atty I bought used on reddit a few weeks ago. So I am not a GG fanboy.

That being said, I also have close friends who are chemists. Thanks to them giving me some free lab time, I've done some of my own non-scientific research here and there. I've also had e-liquids tested for certain compounds (room temp and vapor residue).

The reason I am buying a Proteus is because the engineering behind it appears to be reasonably focused according to my own theories. That's it. I want a small device -- box mods are terrible for porting around. I get dry hits ALL THE TIME because I do vape a lot on the go. I don't want to use nickel for my coils.

The OLED displays on modern vape devices are useless for me. On my Atlas, I have never looked at the screen other than to set it once and forget about it. I have a backup Raptor 150W box mod with zero feedback (no LED, no screen). I prefer the less-is-more functionality.

For me, the dual LED of the current VIR variety is too much, but I'm fine with it. The polling of the coil temperature and constant realtime adjustment sounds like a game changer to me. I'll be honest when I get my Proteus and report back. I can afford to buy a SX350J (I used to spend $7500 a year on analogs!) so I'll get one of those, too. The money isn't the concern, I want to promote new engineering drives. I won't support Evolv, ever, but I do like YiHi as a company and think they've done a good job so far. I love my SX350 compared to my Raptor.

As for GG blowing things out of proportion, I put it this way: all OEMs have to do marketing. No hardware vendor is different from the next when it comes to self promotion. Will VIR do things different than VV or VW or VW+TC? I think so. I'm not putting my name on the line with that, I'm just theorizing that it will be a better vape for me, and a healthier vape for me, and one I can better control overall.

VIR should give me better battery life from not washing power during dry hits. It should give me better control over vape temperature overall. It should save me time on rewicking when I burn cotton. And it's going to a vendor that is bootstrapping themselves and doing something new. I support all of these things.

If the mod chip is a failure, or inferior to others, I'll voice that.

rockstarr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2009
ohio
Zero evidence is right! All we have is a 90 min video of him talking that put me to sleep trying to understand. Are you kidding me? Go back and read the VIR threads he's closed, where did all those people go? How many times can he say 3 more wks guys? He's been saying that for over two yrs! It's actually quite entertaining to read his responses when he gets called out, he always has an excuse or reason why he can't release it, yet.. Has his patent been pending for all these yrs? What a joke IMO and people actually believe him, how can VIR change vaping when it is nothing more than a mystery? These post would be deleted in the GG thread..lol

Reactions: odivad

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Zero evidence is right! All we have is a 90 min video of him talking that put me to sleep trying to understand. Are you kidding me? Go back and read the VIR threads he's closed, where did all those people go? How many times can he say 3 more wks guys? He's been saying that for over two yrs! It's actually quite entertaining to read his responses when he gets called out, he always has an excuse or reason why he can't release it, yet.. Has his patent been pending for all these yrs? What a joke IMO and people actually believe him, how can VIR change vaping when it is nothing more than a mystery? These post would be deleted in the GG thread..lol
I am new to GG, about a year of reading and theorizing.

The original Proteus was going to be just VV and VW. He wanted a tiny chip for a 14500 and engineered it. And then Evolv got a patent on VW. Mindblowing stupidity from the patent office. So GG had to start over and that how VIR mode came to be.

New device, same name.

I'm not a fan boy of any brand. I don't get emotional over technology. But the engineering makes sense to me.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I am new to GG, about a year of reading and theorizing.

The original Proteus was going to be just VV and VW. He wanted a tiny chip for a 14500 and engineered it. And then Evolv got a patent on VW. Mindblowing stupidity from the patent office. So GG had to start over and that how VIR mode came to be.

New device, same name.

I'm not a fan boy of any brand. I don't get emotional over technology. But the engineering makes sense to me.

Whats the deal with that device anyway? Its a temp control vaping pen or something? I saw a post in that thread saying you can vape 1 to 1.5 hours on that thing with medium temp? What the hell? Was that a typo?

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Whats the deal with that device anyway? Its a temp control vaping pen or something? I saw a post in that thread saying you can vape 1 to 1.5 hours on that thing with medium temp? What the hell? Was that a typo?
That's correct.

My two main mods are a dual 18650 Raptor box and a single 18650 SX350 Atlas.

The Proteus is a single 14500 tube. The VIR mode chip set is freaking tiny.

I love my box mods when I'm stationary. But I am never stationary. They are a pain to lug around. I hate mech mods. I have a ProVari but 15W max on a VV isn't what is want.

The 25W maximum on the tiny Proteus is great for me. On the go, single coil dripper, 25W is plenty. A tiny form factor will be heaven.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
That's correct.

My two main mods are a dual 18650 Raptor box and a single 18650 SX350 Atlas.

The Proteus is a single 14500 tube. The VIR mode chip set is freaking tiny.

I love my box mods when I'm stationary. But I am never stationary. They are a pain to lug around. I hate mech mods. I have a ProVari but 15W max on a VV isn't what is want.

The 25W maximum on the tiny Proteus is great for me. On the go, single coil dripper, 25W is plenty. A tiny form factor will be heaven.

Wait a minute...did they mean you can vape for 1 to 1.5 hours constant? As in battery run time? If so then that's pretty great. So is that thing a scam or something? It seems kind of mythical and they keep giving people the run around like it will never come out or something.

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Wait a minute...did they mean you can vape for 1 to 1.5 hours constant? As in battery run time? If so then that's pretty great. So is that thing a scam or something? It seems kind of mythical and they keep giving people the run around like it will never come out or something.

I wish! The 1-1.5 hours just means regular paced vaping, not continuous, ha.

A 14500 battery generally has an average of 600mAh of power capacity. My dual 18650 box mod has 4600mAh of capacity. I don't expect an all-day vape from a 14500 single.

But there are some things that VIR mode should do superior to VV or VW, based on my own engineering and theorizing.

First, it will never send more power to the atty than is needed to sustain the temperature selected. This means if you have a slow wicking e-liquid, you will NOT waste power trying to vape it. If the cotton is "dry", you won't waste power burning it. You'll never spend more power vaping than you absolutely need to -- this means a more efficient use of the limited power.

The Proteus mod (14500) is the first step. Eventually GG will be releasing the chipset to modders, and also be releasing an 18350-650 version.

If the 14500 version works well, then the chipset will be a hit based on the efficiency of power savings and not wasting time changing cotton after a bad dry hit.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I wish! The 1-1.5 hours just means regular paced vaping, not continuous, ha.

A 14500 battery generally has an average of 600mAh of power capacity. My dual 18650 box mod has 4600mAh of capacity. I don't expect an all-day vape from a 14500 single.

But there are some things that VIR mode should do superior to VV or VW, based on my own engineering and theorizing.

First, it will never send more power to the atty than is needed to sustain the temperature selected. This means if you have a slow wicking e-liquid, you will NOT waste power trying to vape it. If the cotton is "dry", you won't waste power burning it. You'll never spend more power vaping than you absolutely need to -- this means a more efficient use of the limited power.

The Proteus mod (14500) is the first step. Eventually GG will be releasing the chipset to modders, and also be releasing an 18350-650 version.

If the 14500 version works well, then the chipset will be a hit based on the efficiency of power savings and not wasting time changing cotton after a bad dry hit.

Forgive me for sounding like a jerk, but who the hell vapes for an hour? I would have to take 8 batteries with me to work. That's ridiculous. As far as temp control and not burning cotton etc, doesn't evolve have the jump on that with the DNA40? You can get a dual 18650 DNA40 that will vape all day. What's the benefit of this proteus thing? They should release an 18650 version right away. What the hell man?

rockstarr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2009
ohio
I don't get it either, besides I think this conversation is nothing but speculation until we actually see something from Imeo. Right now it's nothing more than him saying he has created the greatest thing ever for vapors and providing little evidence,at least the way I'm understanding it.. I carry my VS DNA40 everywhere with me and don't need extra batterys, also not one dry hit with my Erlkonigin, SquapeR, or my GP Heron. I'm also not understanding why this is harder than a tube mod to carry with me?http://[URL=http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/beathappining/media/imagejpg1_zps9bb2b641.jpg.html] [/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread