hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I did use those at first since I didn't really know what I was doing but now I just put a little on my thumbnail and sniff it lightly from there. With the bullets it's easy to sniff too hard and get what I call a brain hit where it feels like someone hit you in the forehead with a mallet. If you buy from someone like mrsnuff then you can get these little white smash boxes for like .50 that are plastic and have a little snap on lid that won't spill. They are handy for carrying around with you. Also I like to use them because that way you aren't opening the larger tin that it comes in all of the time which I think keeps the snuff fresher.

AllCoExPat

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2010
    Elkton, MD
    Honey Bee is definitely a good place to start. Even if you do get a too-hard snort, the brain hit isn't nearly as bad as some of the menthol scents. One wrong sniff and you'll be looking for the back of your skull. The good thing about snuff is that it comes in small sizes that just beg to be tried and can be ordered at halfway reasonable prices. I'm a Wilsons of Sharrow fan, as they have a pretty massive variety available. Like everything else, alot depends on your personal tastes (i.e. do you like floral scents, straight tobacco scents, menthols, etc.)

The only time I use a bullet is when I'm taking an extended road trip and know I won't be stopping for 3 or 4 hours. Driving and trying to get a pinch = nothing good can happen.

tattooed

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 5, 2009
    VA
    Saw a couple of these snuffs while at the tobacco shop tonight. I stopped in to hound the owner about getting in some snus.

Anyways, I'll confess, I got nervous and just bought a can of dip. I realize how unbelievably horrible that may sound but remember, aside from one experience with snuff a decade and a half ago, I've only stuck not so great things into my nose. Anyways, I'll work up the courage. As much as I used to love the once and a blue moon dip, the stuff is just way too sweet for me after using snus.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2009
    If the snuffs are in tap boxes, chances are they are Poschl, which is all that is available locally for me. They are good beginners snuffs, medium nic, easy to take. But they are all menthol, which I have been enjoying more lately. If they are in plastic "cans", they are probably American scotches. High nic, proceed with caution. I'm beginning to think that folks should try whatever seems to catch their interest, just be careful sniffing it.

Oh, and good luck getting the store owner to get snus in.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I'll second that skrymr. I hounded my local tobacco shop for quite some time about getting some snus and snuff and they never did even though they were listed as a general distributor. My first menthol snuff was mcchrystal's o&g. I was really caught off guard. I didn't expect the menthol to be that strong. The toque menthols that I have tried are quite a bit milder than the mchrystals and poschl ones and might be a good choice for a beginner to get his feet wet. The only snuffs I have found locally are W.E. Garrett and Red seal.

tattooed

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 5, 2009
    VA
    There were what seemed like 8 different kinds, all in plastic "cans". Why are we quoting that? Is there something special about that can? Or just the fact that its not really a can? Seemed to be a large selection, much more than I ever figured but I have never ventured over to that part of the store, I was always in the RYO and cigar sections.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2009
    Menthol is a word that immediately turns me off and when thinking about putting something menthol in my nose, I really get scared. I assume it can't be the burning horrifying experience that I imagine.

With the right menthol, it can be quite a pleasant experience. I put cans in quotes, because they look like a miniature tin can, but they are plastic.

tattooed

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 5, 2009
    VA
    With the right menthol, it can be quite a pleasant experience. I put cans in quotes, because they look like a miniature tin can, but they are plastic.

Ah, I see. I was thinking maybe it was one of those tap boxes, like it could deliver out some portion for you. Makes sense though because I know the first time I tried it, it was in the gray plastic can and it was nothing like that, just a can of snuff. I've watched videos of people demonstrating how to use it and I still think I'm going to snort this stuff straight to the brain but next weekend I'll pick some up and play with it, I can see how having some would be a decent discrete way to get a fix without making a production of it.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2009
    To avoid the brain hit, this is what I do. I will tap our or pinch what I am going to take in. Then I fill my lungs with air, and while holding it I will gently sniff the snuff. This limits the force that you can use to inhale it. With practice I can take snuff out of a snuff box in the middle of a store without anyone being the wiser.

Oh, and remember when you are trying a new snuff, try it outside. The fresh air will really bring out the flavors. That little tip is courtesy of OTD.

*EDIT* If you're local store carry's American snuff, I recommend picking up a sweet snuff. Honey Bee is top of the list, but anything labeled sweet snuff will probably be a better choice than a non sweet.

Last edited:

Frankie

ECF Veteran
    Nov 13, 2008
    Slovakia
    Poschl snuff is so oily and sticky, it carries minimum risk of "brain hit". It makes my nose runny, though. I had problems with Toque, which does not cause the problems of Poschl oils, but then I bought a cheap Chinese carved bone snuff bottle with little spoon and that works miracles of delivery without the risk of my eyes shooting off my head (Toque Whiskey & Honey, snorted, ouch :oops: )

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread