Status
Not open for further replies.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Hi from across the pond!
What do You favour for Gennie vaping?..
Me Personally, I'm 99% NETs, which got Me into Mesh/S.S Rope in Drippers 1st, 'cos cotton just don't last long enough with gunky NETs!
Are You all tobacco (inc. arti-baccos....) Vapers or do You put other flavours in Your Gennies?..
Just wondered!...........:):)

300fury

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2013
Rochester mn usa
I just set up my first Gennie a few days ago(rsst). I have been vaping for a couple of years and finally decided to wade into the deep end. I have only had 1 flavor in there, Voodoo from Halo. It's pretty tasty, definitely different when vaped out of a kayfun type atty. my first experience with mesh and I really understand what people mean by "clean" flavor. Not going to throw away my other attys but I see Gennies in my future

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
RY4, i remember only one of them i tried was really good ry4, but havent found any of good ry's for a long time and that one i tried is no longer manufactured. Good ol' Dekang in the beginnings, that ry4 was something that made me switch to vaping. Soon after they changed that flavour to some else but kept the name, if i haven't stumbled across TPA and that awesome M-Type id prolly smoking stink sticks right now. Would you mind saying who's the maker of that flavour? Who knows, maybe its some i haven't tried out yet :)

Reactions: Annie56

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
RY4, i remember only one of them i tried was really good ry4, but havent found any of good ry's for a long time and that one i tried is no longer manufactured. Good ol' Dekang in the beginnings, that ry4 was something that made me switch to vaping. Soon after they changed that flavour to some else but kept the name, if i haven't stumbled across TPA and that awesome M-Type id prolly smoking stink sticks right now. Would you mind saying who's the maker of that flavour? Who knows, maybe its some i haven't tried out yet :)
When i started vaping, i really liked the flavour off a fresh Blu disposable. (not their dumb cartos). And i remember kinda going on a 'quest' for a GREAT tobacco. After trying a couple reputable companies without much luck--i just randomly picked a company out of NJ--Quantum Vapor. ONE TIME--i got one of those dripping/bridgeless atties to work right--with QV Ry4. It was heaven. That was three years ago.
I used Rssts, but mine leaked all over the mods. Otherwise--their concept is brilliant, and i enjoyed Ry4 in the Rsst alot. Gunked up my Protank heads alot, so i spent more time maintaining the coil heads than vaping them
I enjoy all of my gennies--except the Dids. Ry4 gunks them up fast. And i am still trying to find a way to build them without using lower ga wire. Figured out over the past couple of years that I'm not a fan of fat wick holes. Not with the batteries/mods that i have.
QV also makes a superb Cappuccino

Reactions: milandjikic

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
What ive noticed is that the coil gets a lot more of running time before cleaning if i use thicker wire. But yes, i got you point, some of my stuff is just not going on well with it. Especially Aga-s and the Silver Fox, both using 14500 batteries and anything under 30 gauge is just too low resistance for those batt's, i should prolly carry a pouch with at least 6-7 of them to go trough the day :)

So are you still buying theirs RY4 and its still that good? If so, which one, a regular RY4 or some of it's outtakes, i see they have a lots of them :)

Last edited:

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
What ive noticed is that the coil gets a lot more of running time before cleaning if i use thicker wire. But yes, i got you point, some of my stuff is just not going on well with it. Especially Aga-s and the Silver Fox, both using 14500 batteries and anything under 30 gauge is just too low resistance for those batt's, i should prolly carry a pouch with at least 6-7 of them to go trough the day :)

So are you still buying theirs RY4 and its still that good? If so, which one, a regular RY4 or some of it's outtakes, i see they have a lots of them :)
I like their Ry4, in the eliquid part of menu. No flavour shot--maybe ill try that sometime in the future. 80vg. Ashamed to say my nic content, lol. When a genny is set up right--the taste of the Ry4 in it is sublime...I also like the Pina Colada, in summer months. In Flux Juice Bar on the menu--the Cappuccino is really nice. SamBuca is amaretto and is a nice 'palate-cleanser'.
I run good batts. aw from RTD Vapor. I also have Tesla Sub Ohm boxes--which have two 18650 batteries in them, and more wattage. I usually dont sub-ohm unless i get to playing around with my dual coils.
The thick wires are easier to work with. And they work well with my clear eliquids. But, idk, they 'cook' my Cappuccino and Ry4. They heat up slow, and cool down too slow. Ry4 tastes best on a genny with a little wick hole, imo, with a higher gauge wire.
Love the AgaS. Hate that top cap o ring situation. I actually love the vape on the little Chids. But the metals are suspicious, imo, and the center post will float unless you build it and leave it on the mod.
Ribbon is fun too. But im finding 30g kan to be my go-to.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I enjoy all of my gennies--except the Dids.

Whoa! the DID's? Hey, my DID's are what I arrived at after 3 years of vaping! Built right and mounted on a Poldiac they are the best vape I've ever had! I know you have DID's, I've seen them in your posts, but what's not pleasing you about them? BTW, I have a red Pyrex DID tank MMV sent me by mistake, and I see you have one on your DID, so if you want it I'll be happy to send it to you. I'm too old for that kind of flashy stuff.

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
The size of the wick hole. That--and the fact that it is a large tank...i suspect that the size is acting as a heat sink.
If i try to go with thinner wire--it hardly heats up--with weak vapor.
I tried straw wicks, solid wicks--different numbers of wraps.
If i start going with thicker wire--28g--i get the coils to light up just fine. The thing about thicker wire is that it takes longer to heat up--and cool down. Thin wire heats up faster and cools down faster--but you end up with like a 2.0Ω on the DiD. So the vapor drops off.
On clear juice--i can use the DiDs. I had one wrapped with 24g. Used it all summer with clear Pina Colada.Never even cleaned the coil. Didnt need to. But I prefer Ry4--which turns into a charred hot mess with a sub ohm build.
I even tried 0.8 ribbon wire. And when I fired it up on the Tesla box--which pushes out some power--it takes time to light up and cool down. This is what is cooking my juice.Tried nichrome--and nichrome tastes bad to me.
I think that MM Vapors makes a fine and very well-machined product. If i were to buy another atty from them--it would be the Mini. Or the Short Did. I think they both take smaller wicks. I would prolly get a Mini. The smaller attys really bring out the flavor.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
The size of the wick hole. That--and the fact that it is a large tank...i suspect that the size is acting as a heat sink.
If i start going with thicker wire--28g--i get the coils to light up just fine. The thing about thicker wire is that it takes longer to heat up--and cool down. Thin wire heats up faster and cools down faster--but you end up with like a 2.0Ω on the DiD. So the vapor drops off.
On clear juice--i can use the DiDs. I had one wrapped with 24g. Used it all summer with clear Pina Colada.Never even cleaned the coil. Didnt need to. But I prefer Ry4--which turns into a charred hot mess with a sub ohm build.
I even tried 0.8 ribbon wire. And when I fired it up on the Tesla box--which pushes out some power--it takes time to light up and cool down. This is what is cooking my juice.Tried nichrome--and nichrome tastes bad to me.
I think that MM Vapors makes a fine and very well-machined product. If i were to buy another atty from them--it would be the Mini. Or the Short Did. I think they both take smaller wicks. I would prolly get a Mini. The smaller attys really bring out the flavor.

Okay, I get it. Well for my part I've just used solid wicks in my DID's, coiled for .7 ohm with 26 kanthal in a 6/5 wrap over 400 mesh and that's been working very well for me. I find that if my Poldi's threads are good and clean that coil works well enough for me, though your mileage may vary. I also tried 24 kanthal, and I have to agree, that takes way too long to heat up, and you have to throw a lot of loops on it to get your ohms target.

I do use RY4 in my juice, and yes, it does carbon up the coil after several hours, which is why I carry two DID's on two Poldi's at work for my 18-22 hour shifts. The 26 kanthal coil is sturdy enough that I can slip out the wicks, burn off the coils and wick, then knock off all the burnt carbon off the coil with a dental pick, then slip the wick back in, nudge it into glowing uniformly, with the dental pick and I'm good to go again. I do need to come up with another juice recipe though, that doesn't use RY4, something that gives me a relatively clear juice and good flavor, I've just been happy with this juice recipe for a long time and I don't get much time off work to work up a new one. Do you make your own juice?

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Vaslovick--noone is too old for flashy stuff. I have blue and green tanks too.
I'm almost fifty. You should get a load of my Mom. She swims every day, and half her body weight consists of tacky jewelry!!

Okay, point taken :)

I dunno, I found that the glass tanks break too easy for me, and cost too much shipped from Greece to be practical for me, so I just went with the steel tanks my DID's came with, which don't break at all. I just got used to them and not seeing the juice in there. I can tell when it's getting low by the taste now and they look nice on my Poldis I think.

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I spent half a day once, completely disassembling the Poldiacs. Polishing each and every piece with an electric toothbrush, Wrights Silver Cream and Brasso-then reassembling them. Not as hard as i thot it would be, but tedious as hell. The 'rhodium plated' contact screws and pin get oxidation pretty fast, i have found. I use mostly my simple Astro clones--because i can shiny the contacts up really fast, and ego batteries and the Tesla Sub Box--a giant, unregulated ego batt. And i dont have to clean them at all.
I love those boxes, even tho they look trashy. Who cares anyway. NOONE vapes around here, except really young college hipsters.
I do not make juice. And I prolly never will. My job employs test tubes, petri dishes, computer terminals, Erlenmeyer flasks, calibrations, spread sheets, standard deviations, blahblahblah. After i've washed my face at work of the petri dish contents, and drive home thru snow and ice, i don't even feel like making tater tots.I was lucky enough to find a company that makes eliquid that is superb, quality-wise. And they ship pretty fast.
What i DO like about vaping--besides vaping--is building and modding. I like machines!!!

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Why don't you build a parallel coil on a gennie? Back in time when i was using RSST my usual build was with .2 kanthal (i'm a metric guy so not sure what gauge is that, i'd say around 32ga) but parallel coil. It works excellent, response is immediate, no extended heat up time, and the moment you release button it stops producing vapor. RSST had that huge wick hole so if i would go with .2mm kanthal on 4 wraps i would end up over 2 Ohms, but with parallel you can go really low and still have a mouth full of flavor and vapor. No twisting or anything, just start coiling 2 strands of kanthal around the mesh at the same time. If you go for 3 wraps you will end up with double the amount of actual wraps around mesh.
Extremely good setup on mech mods. I even used .18 kanthal on a Silver Fox in a parallel. It worked awesome, but due to the small batteries (14500/14650) i had to have a pucket full of spare batteries :)
Try it if you haven't, you won't be sorry :)

Edit:
And about RSST and leakage problem, find somewhere old Evod or Protank, or Vivi nova coil and take it apart. Use the insulator from the bottom, the one that is separating positive and negative, it is a round peace of rubber, take apart your RSST, pull the central pin out and replace the top plastic insulator with the rubber one from old coil. After you are done, pour what ever you want in RSST and there's no way it will leak ever again, unless your tank or one of the orings on tank are cracked ;)
RSST would be awesome atty if top cap wasn't so huge. Super easy to rebuild, wicks like a champ and if built properly won't leak ever, no matter the position in the pocket...

Last edited:

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Why don't you build a parallel coil on a gennie? Back in time when i was using RSST my usual build was with .2 kanthal (i'm a metric guy so not sure what gauge is that, i'd say around 32ga) but parallel coil. It works excellent, response is immediate, no extended heat up time, and the moment you release button it stops producing vapor. RSST had that huge wick hole so if i would go with .2mm kanthal on 4 wraps i would end up over 2 Ohms, but with parallel you can go really low and still have a mouth full of flavor and vapor. No twisting or anything, just start coiling 2 strands of kanthal around the mesh at the same time. If you go for 3 wraps you will end up with double the amount of actual wraps around mesh.
Extremely good setup on mech mods. I even used .18 kanthal on a Silver Fox in a parallel. It worked awesome, but due to the small batteries (14500/14650) i had to have a pucket full of spare batteries :)
Try it if you haven't, you won't be sorry :)

Edit:
And about RSST and leakage problem, find somewhere old Evod or Protank, or Vivi nova coil and take it apart. Use the insulator from the bottom, the one that is separating positive and negative, it is a round peace of rubber, take apart your RSST, pull the central pin out and replace the top plastic insulator with the rubber one from old coil. After you are done, pour what ever you want in RSST and there's no way it will leak ever again, unless your tank or one of the orings on tank are cracked ;)
RSST would be awesome atty if top cap wasn't so huge. Super easy to rebuild, wicks like a champ and if built properly won't leak ever, no matter the position in the pocket...
I actually gave parallels a go on the old Aga Hydra, and the Chids. It's funny--i was going thru some of my stuff, and i actually found a Chid that i had wrapped with a parallel 4 strand of 32g. Still fired up perfectly, but i never juiced it. I loop the wire on a screwdriver, putting the loose ends in a chuck. I hold w pliers, give the end a twist. Attach to the neg lead. Use the screwdriver to keep strands straight, and do the coil.
I think ribbon kanthal accomplishes the same thing. Plus, i had a parallel all of a sudden come all undone and loose. My other gennies are ok with just a regular wick and coil set-up. But the DiD has a 3.5mm wick hole. I just set one up tonight for giggles. Solid 200 mesh rolled till my fingers bled. 5/4 wrap with 28g kanthal. I annealed the wire, and wrapped it TIGHT. (Annie learned something from her Nextgen clones. Those coils come out very tight. And pulsing them out is an UGLY business!!! But those wraps aren't coming loose, and the Nextgens have never, ever hot-spotted or dry-hit!!!) Pulsed it out. Undid the neg lead. Tightened the coil some more. Pulsed it out again. Decent amount of space between the wick and the hole. Ry4 is tasting pretty nice, and i had to put the fill bung in. So there's that, lol!!!
I don't use the Rssts anymore. I pretty much trashed mine. You know, it really is too bad that it wasn't built a bit more rugged. For Chrissake--i have THROWN my Aga T2 at the wall, and it just laid there, completely unharmed, whispering "Come and play with usssss Annie. Forever. And Ever. And Ever......."

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I will never vape this, but i'll never tear it down.
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread