Your Local Vape Shop is your best resource for new vapors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I messed up bad when I started vaping... was buying all the wrong stuff, getting clones that didn't work with the gear they were meant to work with, terrible chemical tasting flavors, heck the first time I used up a coil I thought i had to replace my whole ego pen battery! I was buying new kanger tanks after I used the two coils they came with because i didn't know you could just get the coils alone. I wasted hundreds of dollars (still cheaper than smoking!) during my first months because I was the first vapor in my group of friends to step out of the cigalike world and I was too much of a newb to even think of something like "maybe I don't know everything and there might be a forum online for this stuff"

But eventually I discovered a magical place called a "Vape Shop". I'm very lucky, there's many in my area, (and I don't mean headshops with vape stuff, I mean vape shops). Now I'm not going to claim that I never buy gear or juices online, sometimes the deal is too good to pass up (assuming it's from a reputable site) or I'm already familiar with a juice and too lazy to go to the shop that carries it... or the reviews on a juice not carried at a shop near me are too compelling to ignore and I'm willing to buy without try... but in general, B&M is the place to be for all vapors but ESPECIALLY NEW VAPORS, and here's why:

1. They let you TRY THE JUICE! Now, they're probably going to have a weak pen battery and a crappy tank, AND make you use a "vape condom" over their drip tip, so it's not always the best way to judge a flavor but it's far more accurate than a sales pitch you'll find in the description of a juice online.
Protip: See how much of your own gear they'll let you use.... if their tank works with your battery, use your battery. And your drip tip will almost CERTAINLY work with their tank and I've never had an objection to using my own instead of theirs (it saves them a vape condom!) Your own drip tip will DRASTICALLY increase your ability to judge a flavor.

When you find a few you like, sit with them for a few minutes... take a puff every 30 seconds or so for a few minutes to make sure you like it beyond your first impression... or if you don't like something yet find it compelling, keep at it because it may be a complex flavor that takes a bit to settle with you.

2. STORE-MADE FLAVORS!! TRY THE STORE'S HOME FLAVORS! They are very proud of them and often very good and creative. They are cheaper than the fancy glass bottle brand names and offer the store a higher profit margin (which we want, we want them to make a little extra... these stores are about to be your best friend, we want them to be around for a while, so if it comes down between two flavors and one is made in store, take that one, you're supporting a local business AND a business that will benefit you personally by remaining in business) ALSO, many shops can add extra flavor shots to their own flavors for you and that's a plus!

2. They will explain what's what and what works with what. They will not let you out of the store with incompatible hardware. They probably will make sure you're qualified to even own some of the more complicated (risky) hardware. If are going to be building coils, most shops will not only show you how but make you demonstrate you have learned what they taught before letting you out the door. One store I go to insists their customers unbox and try everything from mod to drip-tip to make sure it's working when it walks out the door. They will explain the basic need-to-know info and tell you where to learn more about vape safety (especially important as you graduate to more complex gear).

3. They will not sell you a clone without telling you (in my experience). That's important because you want everything to work together nicely and sometimes the cheaper clones (especially in tanks) don't fit properly with their counterpart legitimate products.

4. They get to know you and you're taste. And they value your opinion on their new products. I've been greeted (by name) coming into a store with "Boy do we have something you're going to love!" and "Hey, can you try this flavor we're working on and see if you like it?" and they give me a 10ml bottle to take home and report back on. I've said to store owners who don't carry a juice I like "Listen, you know I'd rather buy this from you than online, try a little and see what you think?" and given THEM 10ml of a juice to vape on and consider.

5. It's social. Vape day is FUN because you always end up chatting with the other vapors there. You get recommendations on juices and products, not from text on a screen, but from people you can tell know their stuff (or not). I've been steared to and away from hardware by other customers and found one of my very favorite juices because I saw someone ELSE trying it and get all excited over it. Some B&Ms even have lounges just to sit around with other vapers and shoot the sht together, some have movie nights, some have swap meets.

6. It's faster than waiting for vape-mail. Recently it FINALLY happened... one too many falls to the floor and the glass on one of my tanks cracked. I called my nearest shop and they didn't carry it. I called another shop I'd be near that day and they did! So, I only had to hang on for a few hours with my cracked tank being fortified by hello kitty duct tape until I could get to shop number 2 and replace the glass component... and fyi I got TWO because it's not like I'm suddenly going to STOP dropping the thing!

7. They remind you if you forgot something you need. Did you just buy a new tank or even just a bottle of juice? They are probably going to ask if you need coils, especially if they know you and you've bought 5-backs enough that they remember it's something you try to stay ahead on. Did you just buy a new mod that doesn't come with a battery installed? They will offer you an appropriate battery. Are you a new customer, or clearly new to vaping? They're going to remind you to get extra chargers and car chargers. I've never returned home from a B&M and said "OH ISH! I can't use this because I didn't get a (whatever) to go with it!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I do like the social aspect. I also like being able to open a package Right There, and if it's DOA I can just give it right back. No "tickets", back and forth emails and paying postage.

Even the best online CS costs me time and money. Plus- my shop makes cappuccinos!

Not sure I agree about it being better for new vapers. There is much info on ECF that won't be in a vape shop. If you don't want to take the time to read here, then you won't have a great vaping experience.

Being able to test eliquid at a vape shop is great tho.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 9, 2014
    USA. State: Inebriated.
    Eh.. While I agree to an extent on a few of the points, I've experienced problems with vape shops in the past. In particular with seeing people getting set-up with gear that they're not really ready for, and perhaps not being informed on the proper care/maintenance of the gear, or even being told something that's not quite right.

I've been in multiple vape shops where Efests are being marketed as 35A batteries. No mention whatsoever of the loads of tests which have been done to prove they are 20A rewraps. This could lead to someone seriously hurting themselves.

And while I like the fact that, in a shop, you can actually hold the gear in your hand before you buy it (and more often than not, they'll have a unit that you can at least power on and press the fire button) I've seen people being sold clones without being explicitly told that it's a clone. I've never seen someone pawning off a clone as an authentic, but I've seen clone Tobhs being sold at $60, when the authentic is valued at $120 and the same clone online is valued at $20. That's a pretty damn steep mark-up.

By the opposite side/same token.. The first shop I really liked going to was very strict about only selling the appropriate gear to the appropriate crowd. If you were walking out of the shop with some Lithium batteries (of any form), you first had to listen to the lengthy shpiel about battery care/maintenance/safety.

So I mean, vape shops aren't all bad, but there's definitely plenty of bad ones out there. You're lucky that you haven't had to experience a truly horrible vape shop. I mean.. I've seen employees with their children in vape shops. I've seen customers walk out with their first vape: A "hybrid" mech mod with a low-ohm build and a "MXJO" battery. I've seen crazily over-priced in-house juices (likely made from very budget flavorings) like you wouldn't believe.

I mean, heck, a majority of people come to the New Members forum with questions about equipment which was sold to them in a vape shop! And I'm glad, really, I imagine a lot of unnecessary news stories have been prevented solely by the members of ECF. Sometimes it's pretty scary to see the things people are attempting, and I often find myself telling people to stop what they're doing before they hurt themselves (ie: trying to run .1 ohm on a single 18650 battery). Usually I come to find that this dangerously low-ohm setup is the one that the "vape employee said was great," and that they had "no idea a .1 ohm build could be dangerous." Idk. For every 1 employee that is willing to elaborate on gear safety and really hold your hand through the process there's probably a dozen employees that just want to make the sale, and aren't genuinely interested in the customer's bottom line (whether that be blowing clouds safely, or just trying to quit cigarettes).

Wow, that's a lot of words. Sorry about that. In summary:

I love to support good local business, but people definitely need to be aware of the things that vape employees might not be able or willing to tell them, especially in regards to battery safety and gear compatibility.

End rant.

Reactions: Kaezziel
    I do like the social aspect. I also like being able to open a package Right There, and if it's DOA I can just give it right back. No "tickets", back and forth emails and paying postage.

Even the best online CS costs me time and money. Plus- my shop makes cappuccinos!

Not sure I agree about it being better for new vapers. There is much info on ECF that won't be in a vape shop. If you don't want to take the time to read here, then you won't have a great vaping experience.

Being able to test eliquid at a vape shop is great tho.
    Certainly not arguing the value of ECF! Ideally, someone would do their homework first, THEN head to the vape-shop.... with an open mind and be willing to be talked down from something that really isn't safe for them just yet lol

Plus, in my experience the store staff are pretty darn well vetted before being hired and forums, while offering great insight (that I've come to rely on) are full of people who really know their stuff as well as people who really know their jargon and SEEM to know their stuff, possibly leading you to lend certain posters more credibility than they actually merit. My cure for the SEEM to know.. if I'm going to make a purchase or do something based on any forum post, is to verify the information from another reputable source, outside the forum... this goes for every forum I belong to, regardless of topic. =)

It sounds like you had an amazing shop experience! I wish all shops shared that passion!
    Like I said, I'm very lucky that there's a number of shops near me.... tons if I wanted to travel over an hour. I actually have the opportunity to "shop shop". I know one store is great for store-flavors being true to their description to the point I've purchased without tasting. I know another shop will have the "latest and greatest" as soon as it's avalable and is really good to bring newbies too. Another shop has all of everything and so many flavors it's a little overwhelming but they're a good stop if I'm in the area. Another shop is, well, they are close to me and open on Sunday and sometimes that's all I need... and on and on. Different shops for different needs, but I've chosen one as my "home store" and make sure to pop in at least once a month or so... they know me by name and know what I like, what I value in making a purchase, and how much I value their input so they're never shy to offer me a personal recommendation.

If you live in an area with multiple shops, shop shop!

Eh.. While I agree to an extent on a few of the points, I've experienced problems with vape shops in the past. In particular with seeing people getting set-up with gear that they're not really ready for, and perhaps not being informed on the proper care/maintenance of the gear, or even being told something that's not quite right.

I've been in multiple vape shops where Efests are being marketed as 35A batteries. No mention whatsoever of the loads of tests which have been done to prove they are 20A rewraps. This could lead to someone seriously hurting themselves.

And while I like the fact that, in a shop, you can actually hold the gear in your hand before you buy it (and more often than not, they'll have a unit that you can at least power on and press the fire button) I've seen people being sold clones without being explicitly told that it's a clone. I've never seen someone pawning off a clone as an authentic, but I've seen clone Tobhs being sold at $60, when the authentic is valued at $120 and the same clone online is valued at $20. That's a pretty damn steep mark-up.

By the opposite side/same token.. The first shop I really liked going to was very strict about only selling the appropriate gear to the appropriate crowd. If you were walking out of the shop with some Lithium batteries (of any form), you first had to listen to the lengthy shpiel about battery care/maintenance/safety.

So I mean, vape shops aren't all bad, but there's definitely plenty of bad ones out there. You're lucky that you haven't had to experience a truly horrible vape shop. I mean.. I've seen employees with their children in vape shops. I've seen customers walk out with their first vape: A "hybrid" mech mod with a low-ohm build and a "MXJO" battery. I've seen crazily over-priced in-house juices (likely made from very budget flavorings) like you wouldn't believe.

I mean, heck, a majority of people come to the New Members forum with questions about equipment which was sold to them in a vape shop! And I'm glad, really, I imagine a lot of unnecessary news stories have been prevented solely by the members of ECF. Sometimes it's pretty scary to see the things people are attempting, and I often find myself telling people to stop what they're doing before they hurt themselves (ie: trying to run .1 ohm on a single 18650 battery). Usually I come to find that this dangerously low-ohm setup is the one that the "vape employee said was great," and that they had "no idea a .1 ohm build could be dangerous." Idk. For every 1 employee that is willing to elaborate on gear safety and really hold your hand through the process there's probably a dozen employees that just want to make the sale, and aren't genuinely interested in the customer's bottom line (whether that be blowing clouds safely, or just trying to quit cigarettes).

Wow, that's a lot of words. Sorry about that. In summary:

I love to support good local business, but people definitely need to be aware of the things that vape employees might not be able or willing to tell them, especially in regards to battery safety and gear compatibility.

End rant.

I guess I really am lucky to have such great shops near me; I assumed the care I've received has been universal. Maybe we should all take the time to rate stores online on the various sites where people might go to find a shop... I've started to. I definitely post my experiences on social media.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    I disagree; the best resource for new vapErs is ECF. But even when well-armed with info from ECF, a vape shop can still screw you royally -- like telling someone they NEED to start at 18mg, when it turned out that 6mg was far more appropriate -- it didn't make me nauseous as 18mg and 12mg did. If a vape shop actually LISTENED to customers, then sure, it's a good resource. When they presume to know everything about everything... they're as useless as any other know-it-all. The problem is, it's impossible to know ahead of time which type of vape shop you're entering.

Andria

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    Alexandria, Louisiana USA
    I disagree; the best resource for new vapErs is ECF. But even when well-armed with info from ECF, a vape shop can still screw you royally -- like telling someone they NEED to start at 18mg, when it turned out that 6mg was far more appropriate -- it didn't make me nauseous as 18mg and 12mg did. If a vape shop actually LISTENED to customers, then sure, it's a good resource. When they presume to know everything about everything... they're as useless as any other know-it-all. The problem is, it's impossible to know ahead of time which type of vape shop you're entering.

Andria
    I disagree with you Andrea.... a lot of new Vapers doesn't even know ECF exists because they are new Vapers, lol....my local shop has mods & tanks setup that a new vaper can try hands on before deciding what he wants.. I mean it's hard for a new Vaper to tell somebody what he wants when he doesn't even know what's available.... the guys at my local shop ask the customer how heavy a smoker he is to determine recommended nicotine strength to start off with.. although my shop sells lot of different mods they make their money primarily off of juice sales...they custom mix juice on the spot and they want customers coming back for more as their juice is very, very good... so I guess what I'm saying not all vape shops are alike.... competition is fierce here in the Southland and there are a lot of good shops around San Diego County. We even got a few vape lounges where a newbie can go mingle and see for himself what folks like....[emoji12]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I disagree with you Andrea.... a lot of new Vapers doesn't even know ECF exists because they are new Vapers, lol....my local shop has mods & tanks setup that a new vaper can try hands on before deciding what he wants.. I mean it's hard for a new Vaper to tell somebody what he wants when he doesn't even know what's available.... the guys at my local shop ask the customer how heavy a smoker he is to determine recommended nicotine strength to start off with.. although my shop sells lot of different mods they make their money primarily off of juice sales...they custom mix juice on the spot and they want customers coming back for more as their juice is very, very good... so I guess what I'm saying not all vape shops are alike.... competition is fierce here in the Southland and there are a lot of good shops around San Diego County. We even got a few vape lounges where a newbie can go mingle and see for himself what folks like....[emoji12]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I didn't know ECF existed either, but I was TIRED of wasting money on those useless disposable cigalikes. So I went to the internet -- googled "electronic cigarette" -- and up jumped all kinds of ECF links. How hard is that? I thought it was pretty dang easy.

Andria

Reactions: KentA

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    I didn't know ECF existed either, but I was TIRED of wasting money on those useless disposable cigalikes. So I went to the internet -- googled "electronic cigarette" -- and up jumped all kinds of ECF links. How hard is that? I thought it was pretty dang easy.

Andria
    Good for you:)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    It's not rocket science. When there is ANYTHING I want to know more about... google is there. Really easy.

Andria
    No kidding? Lol
    But I'm not one to believe everything I read on the internet, especially on a vaping forum... for me it was much better to go into a local vape shop and look with my own eyeballs what's available....this forum came later, as well as a few other vaping forums in which I'm a member...like I said earlier, if the internet works for you so be it, I'm happy for you. Take care :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dhood

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2014
    Georgia
    I got my start by seeing a friend of my brother post his traveling setup on facebook. He was proud of his first year smoke free. I made the decision to find a vape shop and see what I could find. I was sold exactly the type of setup I asked for (and it worked for a while). The sales guy did not try to upsell me and he worked with me to find the exact nicotine level I needed and flavor I liked.

I got really curious (I'm like that) and started googling a lot of things on e-cigarettes and a LOT of the results pointed back to ECF. Between this place and my local shop, I upgraded a lot in the next few months. I also discovered there were a lot of shops in my area (Gwinnett County, GA) and I started visiting those shops.

I have found that with the exception of Nicoticket, I have yet to find an online juice supplier that I like. I've spent hundreds on juices I've ordered and I am constantly disappointed in the flavors. I finally decided that unless I could taste it up front, I won't buy it. Luckily, the abundance of shops in my area means I've been able to find flavors I like and I can stop in any time to pick up another bottle. Of course they all sell hardware and I've purchased a lot locally but will also buy online when I find a price I can't pass up. A good example is a new iStick 60 I just got for about $30 online. I'm usually willing to pay the uplift a shop charges over the internet but only if it is reasonable.

Reactions: YoursTruli

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I got my start by seeing a friend of my brother post his traveling setup on facebook. He was proud of his first year smoke free. I made the decision to find a vape shop and see what I could find. I was sold exactly the type of setup I asked for (and it worked for a while). The sales guy did not try to upsell me and he worked with me to find the exact nicotine level I needed and flavor I liked.

I got really curious (I'm like that) and started googling a lot of things on e-cigarettes and a LOT of the results pointed back to ECF. Between this place and my local shop, I upgraded a lot in the next few months. I also discovered there were a lot of shops in my area (Gwinnett County, GA) and I started visiting those shops.

I have found that with the exception of Nicoticket, I have yet to find an online juice supplier that I like. I've spent hundreds on juices I've ordered and I am constantly disappointed in the flavors. I finally decided that unless I could taste it up front, I won't buy it. Luckily, the abundance of shops in my area means I've been able to find flavors I like and I can stop in any time to pick up another bottle. Of course they all sell hardware and I've purchased a lot locally but will also buy online when I find a price I can't pass up. A good example is a new iStick 60 I just got for about $30 online. I'm usually willing to pay the uplift a shop charges over the internet but only if it is reasonable.

Hey I didn't know you were a fellow Gwinnettian. Howdy neighbor. :D

Andria

Reactions: dhood
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread