Your on an island... You get ONE style of Cartomizer... What do you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windwalker

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan USA
www.akstonhughes.com
Okay, I'm sort of a newbie - but I'm enthusiastic!

Right now I'm all about my kr808's from Vapor4life... But as I'm getting familiar over here at ECF, I'm discovering OPTIONS!!!

So many options, too many options...

So here's my question:

Part 1:
You're on a deserted island, you can have any appliance / tube / box / passthrough you want and you get unlimited cartomizers :: for-ever :: plus you get unlimited juice of your choosing... (although you have to refill each carto at least twice before the alien island overlords give you a fresh one)

But, you only get one style of cartomizer - no big custom tanks, no dripping on atty's, no bottom feeding - it's got to be a carto (they are just so convenient for my 'off the island' lifestyle that it makes sense for the question)

What cartomizer do you choose if you only get that one forever?

Part 2:
Now, most of the carto's from part one of this question come with 808d or 510 threads. In really life, I'm considering upgrading from my 808d batteries to some sort of 510 mod...

But, WHY? Why are so many batteries 808d and most mods 510?
I don't understand the difference?
Is there an advantage to one over the other? Or is it just personal preference?
I'm disinclined to make the switch to 510, because my PCC is 808, but it seems like all the veterans and moders prefer 510 style... Why? What's the difference?
Is there a 510 PCC?

Okay, that's it!

I'm excited to hear your answers :)

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
Part 1: If it has to be carto's I'd pick Smok Tech dual coil mega cartos. Those would look rather strange on an 808 battery though. In which case the regular dual coils would do.

I also consider 808 carto's to be right up there among the best. Especially the "premium" versions. They're just as good or better than the Boge 510 carto's which I've also used for a long time.

Part 2: The kr808d-1 batteries put out a little more power and have a longer run time than 510 batteries which is why you see more 808 kits than regular 510's available. There are 510 PCC's, but until recently they have all been very large and not very appealing. For a cigarette size e-cig, the 808 is probably the best choice.

On the flip side of that, the 510 atty has been the preferred atty for a long time which is why you see most carto's and atty's with a 510 connection. Which is also why a lot of mods have a 510 connection.

For even more options, you can get adapters to use 510, or any other style carto's/atty's on your batteries. Or, if you get a 510 device, a different adapter will allow you to use your 808 carto's.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Part 2 first:
  • There are not more Kr8 batts than 510-fitting batts. It's just (I believe) that most users of 510-fitting atomizers and cartomizers use them on fat batts (e.g., eGo, Riva, etc.), rather than on the original skinny 180 mAh 510 battery.

• Although there are Kr8-based fat batts, IMO the original 3.7V 280 mAh Kr8 battery (even before recent improvements) was so effective that Kr8 users didn't have the same incentive as 510 users to get fat (so to speak).

• Most mod fittings are for 510 rather than Kr8/901 or 801, because the 510 atomizer took the vaping world by storm in 2009, providing a much more satisfying vape than the Kr8 cartomizers available at that time (there have been significant improvements since then).

• What has evolved is that Kr8 is primarily for those wanting a simple, convenient, analog-like e-cig with prefilled cartomizers. 510 (which pretty much means eGo-type fat batt or mod these days) is primarily for those wanting and open to a larger battery, myriad options in atomizers and unfilled cartomizers (and tanks). [There are, of course, exceptions, e.g., Kr8-users with Kr8 fat batts like the Echo and iGo ... and 510 users with the skinny 510 batt.]

• There is a PCC for the skinny 510 battery, but it is clunkier than those available for the Kr8. To me, this moot, since I do not recommend the puny mAh/voltage skinny 510 batt. [510 attys and cartos (for use on those fat batts or mods) are another story entirely.]

Part 1:

You didn't specify access to electricity on the island. If there is none, get the Helix (which uses the 4000 mAh 26650 battery). It will keep you going for a few days. If there is electricity (for charging your batteries), then:

• If you are open to a somewhat fatter e-cig battery, get a 510-based fat batt, the most cost-effective of which is the 3.7V Riva-510. You can pick up the 750 mAh version for $30 from Liberty-Flights or the 1100 mAh version for $50 from Vapor Junction.
eGO-in-hand.jpg

[650 mAh 3.2V eGo or identical sized 750 mAh 3.7V Riva.]
  • If you want even higher mAh and are open to a much larger PV, get a 3.7V mod using the 18650 battery. The world of mods is huge. To begin exploring it, you might want to peruse my Mods Buyers Guide. [The specific example of mods used are a bit out of date, but it provides guidelines to use in making your choice and it links to ViZi's more up-to-date database.]

[e-Power 18650: one of the least expensive 18650-based tubular mods.]
  • But if you would like to stay with a slender battery, the Kr8 remains an excellent choice. I especially recommend CigEasy's new 380 mAh Elite 808, which I recently reviewed. The complete kit is $50.
ELITE-4-1.jpg

[Elite 808 shown next to standard Kr8.]

As for cartomizers, it doesn't necessarily matter what battery you use (although LR cartos require at least 450 mAh). For example, I sometimes use my Elite cartomizers (which I love) with an inexpensive 510-to-808/901 adapter (e.g., $1.50 from Good Prophets) on my 3.2V eGo for a milder vape than on the 3.7V Elite batts.

My other favorite cartomizers are LR and would require a fat batt or mod: the Smok Tech 1.7 ohm Mega Single Coil ("Resurrector) for use on my 3.2V eGo batts ... and the Smok Tech Mega Dual Coil (which I like best on my 3.7V Riva and mod batteries). [They both have 510 fittings.] You can get the dual coils from almost any supplier these days; LiteCigUSA sells them for a very good price: $9/five-pack. I get my Resurrectors from Crystal Clear Vaping: $7.85/five-pack or $21.50 for a 15-carto/two-drip-tip bundle.

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
DDBV is wise and I forget to tell newbs to check out his intro to vaping site, lots of good info!:thumb:

I can't wrap my addled brain around the possibility of not having one of my GGs in my hand!!!! 8-o Hmmm, you have made me think..........TBH, I'd rather have unlimited vaping than most female company, a lot less stressful......:laugh:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Part 1: Not really a carto guy, but if I could only have one it would be Iken's Gold V2's as it is the best carto I've tried to date.

Part 2: Go with what works for you, what you like, and what makes you feel good about your PV. The mods I have are ones that fit me well, but I have not met too many folks here on ECF that use what I have. (They are all 510 threads because I like the selection of what I can screw into them.)

Ghetto_Cowgirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah it's a couple of days old but I'm answering anyway...

#1: My GLV-Mini OR my Chuck....they're just indestructible, I did manage to break the button on my GLV once from stupidity but otherwise, I put it and the Chuck through hell and they just don't die! Carto....the CE2 cartos, XL, I just don't have issues with them, no filler to burn out, I can refill them a lot more before they finally die than I can a filler carto and it just tastes a lot more...clean? Not to mention I put them through hell too and have yet to break one. I try new things all the time and yet I go right back to the Chuck/GLV-mini and XL CE2 combo

#2 I have no idea about that, I started with a 901 and atty and then bought a 510 and atty that same week and I just preferred the flavor and vapor I got from the 510. Anything I bought after that just happened to be 510 threading, my Chuck is 901 threaded and I taste/feel no difference whether it's the 510 or 901 CE2s. I agree with DDBV, I preferred the 510 atty itself when I started, 2 years ago, which is why I stuck to the 510 :) My Chucks 901 because I got it before they ever made 510 cartos and I liked cartos :p I wish now my Chuck was 510 fitted but I have an adapter so no biggy :)

:)

GC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread