Your Order Has Shipped!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
My Protege showed up around noon EST today and I charged it until the lights went green, and then put a battery in it, and then I i put a 901 Atomizer on it (making sure not to tighten it to hard) and it doesnt work... I tried the other battery and nothing happened, next i tried 4 different atomizers and it still wont work...
Prob your switch, try pressing it harder. Thats about all the help i can be unfortunately.

Gibby

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Prob your switch, try pressing it harder. Thats about all the help i can be unfortunately.

Gibby

Exactly what I would suggest. I got mine today and was having the same issue so I put my multimeter on it and found that I have to really mash the hell out of the switch to get it to fire. Hopefully it will break in like my Pass thru did.

Hope this helps you with you sweet little Protege...

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
My Protege showed up around noon EST today and I charged it until the lights went green, and then put a battery in it, and then I i put a 901 Atomizer on it (making sure not to tighten it to hard) and it doesnt work... I tried the other battery and nothing happened, next i tried 4 different atomizers and it still wont work...

The threads on my adapter on the atty side were stiff at first - I had to snug my atty up pretty tight to get it to fire up at first. After changing attys a few times it's nice and smooth.

Also some people have reported having to press the switch pretty hard, though mine is perfect.

adam07specb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
I'm sure you're not a happy camper. Maybe Steve or Casey will be on later to help.
They will take care of you but it sucks that it's friday night.

Have you used e-cigs before?
Is the atomizer getting warm at all?
Did you make sure all threads and connections are clean?

Yes, i have been vaping for about 6 months
It wasnt getting power when i tested it on a multimeter, not the switch does nothing and it is always on
The connections were fine

I sent them a message but it is Friday night so i dont expect a quick reply ( i know i wouldnt give one)

adam07specb, maybe you should start a new thread with the word "help" in the subject line. It's probably gonna get buried here. There are plenty of smart, helpful people here if they know someone needs assistance.

I am going to... My new problem is that now it wont shut off... as soon as i screw the atty on its starts sizzling away (i burnt an atty but i have quite a few so i am not too worried)

Exactly what I would suggest. I got mine today and was having the same issue so I put my multimeter on it and found that I have to really mash the hell out of the switch to get it to fire. Hopefully it will break in like my Pass thru did.

Hope this helps you with you sweet little Protege...

I pressed the switch real hard and now it wont shut off :(

The threads on my adapter on the atty side were stiff at first - I had to snug my atty up pretty tight to get it to fire up at first. After changing attys a few times it's nice and smooth.

Also some people have reported having to press the switch pretty hard, though mine is perfect.

The threads were all fine... the atty went right on and i didnt want to over screw it

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Yes, i have been vaping for about 6 months
It wasnt getting power when i tested it on a multimeter, not the switch does nothing and it is always on
The connections were fine

I sent them a message but it is Friday night so i dont expect a quick reply ( i know i wouldnt give one)

I am going to... My new problem is that now it wont shut off... as soon as i screw the atty on its starts sizzling away (i burnt an atty but i have quite a few so i am not too worried)

I pressed the switch real hard and now it wont shut off :(

The threads were all fine... the atty went right on and i didnt want to over screw it

That sucks. Might try loosening the adapter to get it to shut off. If it starts working great, otherwise I'd take the batt out personally.

Sounds like you've got:
Not really lotus ... What, 400-425 have gone out over the past week ... A couple switch malfunctions we expect ... Nothin you can do when it comes to a mechanical built switch.

The actual technical issue with the above is this. The switch we use has 2 long 1" leads. The leads are soldered in to place. What you don't see on our switch is the 2 small PCB style leads. Because we use Delrin, we can't heat the brass up completely within the assembly to temperature for the solder to stick. Thus, we use a gel flux. This electrical flux (smells like pine tar and is just as sticky) does 2 things. 1) Clean the surface to allow for a strong solder joint. 2) Almost like a flash heat, so we don't have to set the solder gun on there for more than a second, thus resulting in melted delrin. The downside to this flux, if it gets anywhere EXCEPT the actual solder joint, perhaps a small bit on one of these leads or right underneath the switch, it causes the switch to get sticky or simply short out. It rarely RARELY happens (<1-2%), but it does. We can normally catch it (when you press hundreds of buttons a day, 1 or 2 being just *off/sticky*, you can tell real quick)

So, we do try our best to catch it, but we aren't always successful :)

Probably have to send it in. Hopefully they'll have spares for sale before long.

adam07specb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Probably have to send it in. Hopefully they'll have spares for sale before long.

If they replace this one i will definitely pick up some spares also... That one really good puff i got off it makes it worth it... I hope the wait isnt too long to get a warrantied replacement in... i have a feeling this thing rocks!!!

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
If they replace this one i will definitely pick up some spares also... That one really good puff i got off it makes it worth it... I hope the wait isnt too long to get a warrantied replacement in... i have a feeling this thing rocks!!!

Steve just mentioned in another thread he would put some up on the site this weekend.

And yeah, they do rock!

They seem to be very well built, so I'm not expecting many problems from 'em.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
I have a small question.. do I need to buy the optional switch housing to use the Prodigy at 6v? Or is the switch housing just for limiting the current to 5v? Thank you.

Yes you will need the optional switch housing without the resistor to use your Prodigy at 6v. If you get that switch without the resistor you will ALSO be able to use the huge 18650 2500 mAh battery. I actually prefer that battery and really enjoy the freedom to use my Prodigy at what ever voltage I am in the mood for. 3.7 (with the 18650 without resistor), 5v (2- rcr123s with resistor), and 6v (2- rcr123s without resistor)

That 18650 3.7v battery really is strong and puts out a lot more vapor than the regular 3.7v. And it lasts me for a whole day of really heavy vaping.

That switch without resistor was the best purchase I made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread