• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Your thoughts on tithing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
Just curious how everyone feels about tithing. I've read differing opinions about tithing being optional versus required.
Here's an article arguing against the tithe and for "giving as proposed in his heart " in today's church;
Are you Tithing

Another interesting read is here ; Tithe and Offerings | Stewardship & Tithing discussing different types of tithers.

Here's an article discussing why we should tithe 10%;
The Tithe Belongs to the Lord

I believe in tithing but I guess my thoughts are that most of the tithe should go to pay the pastor and feed the poor, not the upkeep of a bigger and better church.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I don't tithe myself because I don't belong to a church. But, I do give money and time to Jesus when I want too, not because I have too. I feed homeless people when I see them on the street. I'll hit the nearest drive thu and buy them a meal and hand it to them, I donate clothes and goods to local shelters, things like that. It comes from the heart and I believe it is just as good as tithing.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
-----

I believe in tithing, but think a lot of Churches think of it too much.

Especially when they promise you'll have a new car in your driveway or some such thing if you'll only make a habit of handing over your money to them. (Faith-promise....)

I think churches ought to call money, money. I heard one preacher say, "We need you to give of your finances." Finances? Maybe he thought that made him sound intelligent. Or was afraid of what would happen if he called money what it is.

I don't think church should beat up the sheep about tithing every Sunday. That gets old. They plead for money week after week while they starve the sheep....

-----

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
-----

I believe in tithing, but think a lot of Churches think of it too much.

Especially when they promise you'll have a new car in your driveway or some such thing if you'll only make a habit of handing over your money to them. (Faith-promise....)

I think churches ought to call money, money. I heard one preacher say, "We need you to give of your finances." Finances? Maybe he thought that made him sound intelligent. Or was afraid of what would happen if he called money what it is.

I don't think church should beat up the sheep about tithing every Sunday. That gets old. They plead for money week after week while they starve the sheep....

-----

Yes, I think one should give as their heart leads them, but I would love to see more of the money going to feed the hungry and the homeless.

czarmoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Downriver, MI
Does it have to be 10% every sunday? I'm not so sure, but I believe in supporting your church when you have one. I think a congregation has a duty to support their minister(s) and the ministries of their church. I also strongly believe faithful giving is rewarded, though I would never be as bold as some of the prosperity gospel that say if you give your tithe you'll find worldly riches. But I've heard testimony after testimony how finances have worked out even in the hardest of times while faithfully tithing.

jcamacho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas
It does not have to be 10% in my opinion, I give what I can and I have indeed been rewarded for what I have contributed. That's an about face from my younger days when I gave nothing and had nothing to show for it. It really does come back to you tenfold, never believed it before but I sure do now.

supernicguy

Feb 14, 2010
Hoquiam, WA
I don't necessarily believe that it has to be 10% but i do believe that you should give what you can. seeing as I am an unemployed student right now I can't really afford to give much of anything in the form of cash. your pastors depend on what you give to be able to support themselves and their families. And that hits real close to home for me seeing as I'm going to be going to school to become a youth pastor as soon as I finish up my AA at community college.

czarmoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Downriver, MI
My opinion here;

In my opinion JESUS says, If you want me to have it (and are happy to give it...then I want it. (then, right under that he would say) If you have bills to pay, but want me to have the money--pay your bills....it's only me helping you pay your bills.

I think that covers it.

I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking your opinion, but do you have scripture that you feel enforces it?

DWTaylor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
South Dakota
datsvaper.com
I don't do it anymore. I use to but when my preacher invited me to his house and showed the the big screen that god gave him and the leather sofa and all that I just was like oh no.
keep in mind this was in 96 or so and he didn't have anything in the line of funds when he showed up in town no saving and he never had a day job.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I don't do it anymore. I use to but when my preacher invited me to his house and showed the the big screen that god gave him and the leather sofa and all that I just was like oh no.
keep in mind this was in 96 or so and he didn't have anything in the line of funds when he showed up in town no saving and he never had a day job.

LOL! Can't blame you there! :D

czarmoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Downriver, MI
Czar:

No, I rarely quote scripture

But I will add this opinion--I don't think JESUS is into money like we are.

Considering he told every one of his disciples to give it up, and praised an old woman who gave up her last bit of change, I think money is rather far down on his list; So I completely agree with you on that opinion.

dleerl

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2009
MA
I know that we are no longer under the law which means we no longer have to tithe. However, the fact that everything we have comes from God and belongs to Him hasn't changed. Our attitudes towards money and possessions are addressed over and over again in the New Testament. The 10% considered as the first fruits of all your labors established by the tithe in the Old Testament, has provided some sense of a standard to measure what is considered as that acceptable measure.

I feel that it is a useful guide to go by and I certainly feel that a church needs to have some committment from its' parishioners for yearly income so that a church can make a budget. I feel it is ludicrous for individuals in a church to expect their pastor and family to take a job based on the whim of the parisioner's desire to give. I'd like to see some of you take a job where your pay each week is based upon how generous the corporate executives feel and whether or not they thought you had too many luxury items or they were more concerned with the plight of people elsewhere that week and wanted to give to them instead of you. Evangelism elsewhere is important. But our first responsibility is to those who are feeding us, then to those that our church sends out to evangelize and then to minister to those within our own church. These functions are all outlined in the Scripture. If we don't support our church, our church can't do what it is supposed to do and what God has ordained for it to do. If you are a member of a church and are not supporting that church so it can do what it needs to do, I would encourage you to take that to the Lord in prayer just to make sure that He isn't desiring you to change that at this time. Growth is a process and I have found that my awareness of what He is calling me to do requires constant willingness to be open to change especially in light of Bibllical truth.

When we give, we truly need to understand and believe that God is our Jehovah Jirah. He is our provider. We don't lose a thing by giving a percentage of "our" income. He will truly take care of us. God rewards our faith in Him. Step out and believe in Him. God is not a liar, he tells the truth because He is Truth. He is a rewarder of those who have faith and believe in Him. The history of the Bible speaks over and over of the people that God rewarded because of their faith: Noah, Abraham, Abel, Enoch, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Rahab, Ruth, Samson, David, etc. As an individual I will attest to the fact that God is faithful.

I am on a fixed income and He has performed miracles that you wouldn't even probably believe if I told you. He takes care of me all the time. It is so rewarding to know that your life rests in His hands. That you are not at the whim of your boss, or the economy or some other factor but truly in the hands of God. What a stress reliever. What assurance it adds to your faith. My pastor recently said something that makes a lot of sense. If any one of you wants to try to step out in faith and trust God on this, just praying for faith won't do it. If you want faith you need to read about men/women of faith. Start reading about Noah, Abraham and Moses. That will encourage you.

One last word, please read 2Cor 9: 6-13. It really addresses God's view on giving. It ties everything together. The needs of the church, the attitude of the heart, faith in Him and His action towards us in return.

Let him who is taught the word share all good things with him who teaches. Gal. 6:6

Last edited:

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
IMO it is important to support your church. This is the place christian gather to worship God. Pastors provide a great service to the community. They not only preach a sermon on Sunday but visit people all week long. I was saved by a preacher who came to my home numerous times. The pastor is involved in the community in many ways. I believe God calls preachers to the ministry. The only way they can provide these services is for the church to support them. Most preacher's salaries are relatively small.

It is important for christians to attend a church. This is where the word of God is spread. I don't say you have to give 10% but it is important to given what you can afford. There are numerous ways you can give to people. One of my favorite is St. Judes. Giving to the homeless is also important.

Christians should attend church.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I'm up in the air about tithing. On one hand Jesus said give to Caesar whats Caesars on the other hand he said to beware of false profits and giving money to them would be wrong. My uncle was giving tithe to one of them tv ministers one time when I was young and I ask him, "are you giving money to that guy?" I said don't be naive he's just a rip off. My uncle told me I give this in Jesus's name and for that purpose and if he uses it for another purpose he's the one who has to answer to God for doing so. I believe to give 10% every week is to mechanical, it takes the thought of giving out of it for me. I might give money to a hungry person or something else (food or clothing) to a needy person thats my titheing and I don't count the %. It could be more or maybe less but it's from the heart and I always tell the person when they thank me to thank the lord not me, it's from him cause it says if we do something and then tell everyone so we look good that we have already recieved our reward. Sorry for going on and on. PS I do believe the church you attend needs the support of it's followers though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread