• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Youtube misinformation gonna get someone hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Tim, I totally agree that while DIY is very simple...it also requires understanding & precision!!! No one should ever be "eyeballing" their DIY mixes. My PG w/nic is 28mg strength & I am always careful to make small batches - 2mL (i.e. 40 drops) at a time - in order to be as precise as possible. Because a few drops in either direction are all it takes to change the nic level.

I recommend this e-juice calculator & DIY-ing in 2mL batches, i.e. 40 drops per batch (if you need a larger batch, do two or three 2mL batches in the same bottle, one after the other):

todmuller.com/ejuice/ejuice.php

And OMG, no one should be DIY-ing at all when they don't even know what milligrams are (like the guy in the vid).

:ohmy: Yoy...yoy. For the safety of all DIY-ers, I just flagged his vid.

And 60mg strength? Double yoy. Even if he knew what level this was (which he doesn't), I'd still say yoy. I don't care what anyone says...PG w/nic should not be sold to anyone at that high a level. Ever. There are too many idiots out there who don't understand what they have, or what they're doing, or what safe levels are, or the need for safety in the first place - to risk selling PG w/nic at unsafe levels.

36mg should be the highest available nic strength one can buy flavourless PG or flavourless VG at. And even then, it should be made crystal clear to everyone that even 36mg is not an advisable or commonly vaped nic level. Yes, dilution before use is called for - even from that. I vape my juices usually between 18mg and 20mg in nic strength, and it suits me fine. This is a very common level for most vapers - a safe level.

But yeah - there is simply no need for PG w/nic to be sold any stronger than 36mg (i.e. 36 parts of nicotine per 1000 parts). Concentration vs dilution is a constant throughout nature. Example: if you take a Tylenol...it has an intended benefit & it's safe. But take 20 or 30 of them in one go, and you will die. You see the point?

I think that the lack of understanding demonstrated by the guy in the vid is pretty rare. Most people are not that clueless. But I agree - we should get MyFreedomSmokes (this guy's PG w/nic supplier) to contact him asap to 1) remove his awful vid, and 2) comprehend this stuff, yoy.

Here's the email address for MyFreedomSmokes:

Chris@myfreedomsmokes.com

Just tell them that your concern is re: this guy (who is using their product to mix juices & sell them, without having a clue about nic strengths or safe levels thereof):

youtube.com/user/phee303

Happy vaping, everyone. Above all, keep your juice safe - and in so doing, keep yourself safe. Nicotine is delicious stuff, and we all enjoy it. Just enjoy it at safe, appropriate levels & all will be well.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Tim, I totally agree that while DIY is very simple...it also requires understanding & precision!!! No one should ever be "eyeballing" their DIY mixes. My PG w/nic is 28mg strength & I am always careful to make small batches - 2mL (i.e. 40 drops) at a time - in order to be as precise as possible. Because a few drops in either direction are all it takes to change the nic level.

I recommend this e-juice calculator & DIY-ing in 2mL batches, i.e. 40 drops per batch (if you need a larger batch, do two or three 2mL batches in the same bottle, one after the other):

todmuller.com/ejuice/ejuice.php

And OMG, no one should be DIY-ing at all when they don't even know what milligrams are (like the guy in the vid).

:ohmy: Yoy...yoy. For the safety of all DIY-ers, I just flagged his vid.

And 60mg strength? Double yoy. Even if he knew what level this was (which he doesn't), I'd still say yoy. I don't care what anyone says...PG w/nic should not be sold to anyone at that high a level. Ever. There are too many idiots out there who don't understand what they have, or what they're doing, or what safe levels are, or the need for safety in the first place - to risk selling PG w/nic at unsafe levels.

36mg should be the highest available nic strength one can buy flavourless PG or flavourless VG at. And even then, it should be made crystal clear to everyone that even 36mg is not an advisable or commonly vaped nic level. Yes, dilution before use is called for - even from that. I vape my juices usually between 18mg and 20mg in nic strength, and it suits me fine. This is a very common level for most vapers - a safe level.

But yeah - there is simply no need for PG w/nic to be sold any stronger than 36mg (i.e. 36 parts of nicotine per 1000 parts). Concentration vs dilution is a constant throughout nature. Example: if you take a Tylenol...it has an intended benefit & it's safe. But take 20 or 30 of them in one go, and you will die. You see the point?

I think that the lack of understanding demonstrated by the guy in the vid is pretty rare. Most people are not that clueless. But I agree - we should get MyFreedomSmokes (this guy's PG w/nic supplier) to contact him asap to 1) remove his awful vid, and 2) comprehend this stuff, yoy.

Here's the email address for MyFreedomSmokes:

Chris@myfreedomsmokes.com

Just tell them that your concern is re: this guy (who is using their product to mix juices & sell them, without having a clue about nic strengths or safe levels thereof):

youtube.com/user/phee303

Happy vaping, everyone. Above all, keep your juice safe - and in so doing, keep yourself safe. Nicotine is delicious stuff, and we all enjoy it. Just enjoy it at safe, appropriate levels & all will be well.

Wow! Just freaking wow! I am glad you found yourself another crusade so soon to chew on.

Tossing the numbers you have just tossed around so flippantly is as irresponsible as the individual in the video. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 100mg liquid. What is wrong is the individuals that don't know there south end from a hole in the ground and embark on DIY ill advised. I've been mixing soon after I started vaping, with 50mg and now I use 100mg. 50mg is about the lowest a DIY can concoct some exotic liquids that require a greater deal of flavours.

BTW take 30 tylenol and it won't kill you, you may get mighty sick but it won't kill you.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Switched, as usual...we agree on some things, and disagree on others. What is of primary importance is that we both agree that people should get informed beforehand, & exercise appropriate caution, when DIY-ing.

huggy.gif

But as to the rest...there is a reason why ECF came up with the rule below:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/announcements-rules/88089-maximum-nicotine-strength-36mg.html

And I can tell you, I make no apologies for agreeing with it. PG or VG with nicotine should not be sold to regular people - to consumers - at higher than a 36mg strength (i.e. 36 parts of nicotine per 1000 parts). I will continue to emphatically recommend to our politicians that when e-cigs/e-juice eventually become subject to regulatory oversight in Canada, that this limit (for consumers) ought to be enforced.

You cannot safely vape 100mg strength juices: at that level only 5 or 6 drops, absorbed through the skin, are enough to kill a human adult. I don't care how much money anyone here is saving by buying their flavourless liquid at that unsafe strength & diluting. It's irresponsible, dangerous & unnecessary.

And yes Switched...30 Tylenols in one go (15,000mg of acetaminophen) is a fatal dosage.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Switched, as usual...we agree on some things, and disagree on others. What is of primary importance is that we both agree that people should get informed beforehand, & exercise appropriate caution, when DIY-ing.

huggy.gif

But as to the rest...there is a reason why ECF came up with the rule below:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/announcements-rules/88089-maximum-nicotine-strength-36mg.html

And I can tell you, I make no apologies for agreeing with it. PG or VG with nicotine should not be sold to regular people - to consumers - at higher than a 36mg strength (i.e. 36 parts of nicotine per 1000 parts). I will continue to emphatically recommend to our politicians that when e-cigs/e-juice eventually become subject to regulatory oversight in Canada, that this limit (for consumers) ought to be enforced.

You cannot safely vape 100mg strength juices: at that level only 5 or 6 drops, absorbed through the skin, are enough to kill a human adult. I don't care how much money anyone here is saving by buying their flavourless liquid at that unsafe strength & diluting. It's irresponsible, dangerous & unnecessary.

And yes Switched...30 Tylenols in one go (15,000mg of acetaminophen) is a fatal dosage.

I bet with your displayed rationale that the current gun laws in Canada has increased your/all our safety?

Please explain your credentials to the audience at large, which gives you the right to recommend to our government any nicotine concentrations yet alone safe ones. Health Canada and the law has already decreed that anything above 6mg is a controlled substance. How does that fit into your vaping style of 18-20mg? Think about it, before embarking on another one of your crusades. BTW the reference to Spikey was not a compliment.

Please do not hug me or agree with me as I do not agree with the majority of what you post. The last thing we need is more laws affecting the freedom of this nation in the disguised of protecting those who fell short from the gene pool.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Switched...I'm sorry if I have offended you. And I'm sorry that you seem to be so cranky, especially at this time of year. "Bah humbug" indeed. In accordance with your present wishes though, I promise I won't hug you again.

Re: your Spikey reference, I (and others) took it as a compliment. And it should be noted that my previous "crusade" as you put it (to get the CBC to report on the unanimous pro-vaping Dec. 7th ruling in the States) achieved its goal. CBC did report on the ruling, only a day after we threatened to file a formal complaint against them. Rob from Evapers & Jack from HappyVaper were both supportive & pleased at the result; are you upset with them too?

Bottom line, I find it very sad that you seem to be taking it so personally when we disagree, to the point that it bugs you when we do agree. That's irrational, man. My feeling is that reasonable people can discuss matters of fact & opinion without getting personally angered at one another just because someone disagrees on some points. We're all here to learn together, to discuss & consider & share together in everything that makes us a community. Whether you like it or not, we do share a common goal - to someday see that every Canadian smoker out there can learn about vaping, and have it available to them as an option.

If you insist on posting in response to my posts, Switched...don't cry foul when I reply. Because I will reply; though always with friendliness in my heart, and with the intention of contributing constructively to the conversation. And I am ready at any time to sincerely make up with you, whenever you are - with a hug. Merry Christmas.
smilefinal.gif

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Your such a sweetheart rachel

You too Switched :)

It feels like mom and dad are fighting right now.

Switched...I'm sorry if I have offended you. And I'm sorry that you seem to be so cranky, especially at this time of year. "Bah humbug" indeed. In accordance with your present wishes though, I promise I won't hug you again.

Re: your Spikey reference, I (and others) took it as a compliment. And it should be noted that my previous "crusade" as you put it (to get the CBC to report on the unanimous pro-vaping Dec. 7th ruling in the States) achieved its goal. CBC did report on the ruling, only a day after we threatened to file a formal complaint against them. Rob from Evapers & Jack from HappyVaper were both supportive & pleased at the result; are you upset with them too?

Bottom line, I find it very sad that you seem to be taking it so personally when we disagree, to the point that it bugs you when we do agree. That's irrational, man. My feeling is that reasonable people can discuss matters of fact & opinion without getting personally angered at one another just because someone disagrees on some points. We're all here to learn together, to discuss & consider & share together in everything that makes us a community. Whether you like it or not, we do share a common goal - to someday see that every Canadian smoker out there can learn about vaping, and have it available to them as an option.

If you insist on posting in response to my posts, Switched...don't cry foul when I reply. Because I will reply; though always with friendliness in my heart, and with the intention of contributing constructively to the conversation. And I am ready at any time to sincerely make up with you, whenever you are - with a hug. Merry Christmas.
smilefinal.gif

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
JonnyVapΣ;2356288 said:
The sole purpose of that is to protect ECF. Nothing more.

Yep. I have to agree there. The rule is for suppliers advertising on this site, and is not meant to mean much more than that.

Personally, I vape 36mg e-juice. So in order for me to DIY, I need to have a higher level nic juice to mix with. If I was limited to only using 36mg base, I would end up with a much lower nic level for a final product, which would not be nearly enough to keep me from desiring a cigarette. And I know for a fact that I am not alone.

You will note that we don't restrict members from discussing using 100mg for DIY purposes. DIY mixers are a minority as far as the overall vaping community goes. Most of them do research on sites just like this before attempting to mix their own juice. They almost have to, in order to figure out recipes and such.

As with all nicotine liquids, care must be taken. But I think trying to limit the max level of nic to 36 is a bit of overkill. There are people who vape even higher nic levels than I do. Each of us is different in regards to what level of nic works to keep them from craving a cig.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Cranky? You haven't seen cranky.

IMHO this is a responsible post http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canada-forum/114158-folks-please-careful.html

The opening post here once again IMO is not. A neophyte drawing conclusions on a former neophytes video, how epic. Where neither one has a grasp of do it yourself, and then... folks drawing conclusions and making conjectures as to what is safe or not.

Your mission should you choose to accept it, cruise Youtube and report everyone of those videos, it will make you feel better. That should take you a couple of weeks to a couple of months., which will permit the enjoyment of Christmas :)

FreeFlow

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
London, Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
oh damulta you slay me

3:15 for a laugh

or possibly a frown

just trying to keep it light :)

and

don't hate on phee to much, you was definitely nooby when he did that video but now he's one of the most respected video reviewers out there and does have some vids that are more then worth a look

BlitzkriegTim

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2010
Shannon, Quebec, Canada
Woah, this got way out of hand. I suppose that's a pickle jar I shouldn't have opened :p but once again, my real main concern was just that in the vid there was misinformation in regards to nicotine content and how it is calculated. And that misdirection could cause some "neophyte" just like me to mix up some juice WAY too strong causing serious harm. Especially if you thought that 60mg juice was only 1mg/ml and you are trying to get like 18mg/ml. And since it's a video on how to get started with DIY it's definately going to be viewed by a lot of "neophytes".

And to you Rachel, just a slight correction; by mixing small batches of juice (or any solution whatsoever) you actually increase your margin of error. If you are mixing a 40 drop batch and you put in 1 drop too many it will make twice the difference as it would if you were making an 80 drop batch.

So lets stop the hate, it's almost Christmas, and this hazelnut juice is rockin' my world right now :)

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Hi AngusATAT!
huggy.gif
I appreciate your post & where you're coming from. To clarify...this was all about suggested limits on consumer-end availability, once we eventually have regulatory oversight for e-cigs & e-juice in Canada.

This would not prevent suppliers from obtaining higher-level liquids, for the purpose of creating e-juices more complex in flavour etc. The suppliers - under regulatory oversight - would be in a far better position than the typical consumer to handle those higher-level liquids safely, with the proper facilities for such.

I appreciate that some people vape at 36mg; but such is not commonplace. And I would venture that if vaping a 36mg juice isn't enough to prevent someone from smoking tobacco...then that person either has an abnormally high tolerance for nicotine (one not shared by most people), or they simply don't want to quit smoking.

At some point, regulatory oversight will occur (at least, that's the goal). And when that happens...Health Canada will undoubtedly place limits on the nic content. In fact they would be negligent (& probably liable) if they did not do so. As a community, it behooves us to consider how we should respond to that...and how we can involve ourselves in the process now, before it happens. We can be proactively involved...or we can sit idly by while someone else makes the decisions without our input.

By proactively demonstrating that we believe in & support sensible limits (rather than a 'Wild West, anything goes' situation)...we help the cause to see e-cigs & e-juice receive market authorization as a tobacco product. And we work to ensure that limits will not be unreasonably low. The alternative is to give ammunition to the anti-vaping camps, who would surely paint us as desiring an unreasonable lack of restrictions on a potentially dangerous product.

The sheer danger of 100mg strength liquids is such that I don't think it can legally be justified. Imagine a shattered or punctured bottle inside an envelope. An envelope that could develop a tear. And say a postal worker handling this package is then exposed to the liquid, and dies. Now granted...that is not necessarily a likely circumstance. But the fact that it could happen should be enough to give us serious pause...and should encourage us to think about what sort of limits are reasonable. If not 36mg...then what? I'm open to suggestions.

For the majority of vapers & potential vapers out there...being able to buy premixed e-juice up to 36mg strength...& flavourless PG/flavourless VG up to 36mg strength (for DIY) would be more than adequate. If a particularly complex DIY recipe requires a higher strength base to reach the final, safe-level juice...I'm confident that once regulatory oversight is in place, a supplier (or suppliers) would be happy to mix it up & sell it to you. The competition will grow in leaps & bounds once regulatory oversight is in place & e-cigs/e-juice are legally marketable in shops, media, etc etc.

I just don't think that the arguments for allowing 100mg liquids to be sold directly to consumers (i.e. saving money, 'complex' flavours, etc) hold up against the potential risk to the lives of those consumers. It doesn't matter how safe or smart you are personally; safety laws & restrictions are put in place out of necessity, because of the dummies out there.

Not everyone will be happy to see regulatory oversight, and some will be upset with the very notion of a limit on the nic strength, no matter how high that limit ends up being. But since it is virtually certain that such a limit will someday be put in place...I'd rather that we discussed it now, to try & determine what that reasonable, sensible limit ought to be. A limit that allows vapers to get their nic, but doesn't needlessly place lives at risk.

So I've put 36mg on the table...everyone, what do you think would be a reasonable limit on nic strength in liquids available directly to consumers? Or do you think there should be no limits at all? And if so, why? Discuss.
smilefinal.gif

That is, discuss if you want to. Otherwise as Tim said, "lets stop the hate. It's almost Christmas, and this hazelnut juice is rockin' my world right now.
smilefinal.gif
"

Right on Tim - I'm about to try English Toffee from Perfumer's Apprentice for the first time. Smells soooo good! Happy x-mas eve eve eve vaping!
biggrinfinal.gif

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
I'm a little confused, maybe. My children are 11, 13, and 15. They are beyond accidental ingestion, but certainly not beyond teenage experimentation or curiosity. I keep my juice under lock and key, except for what I am currently vaping, but that didn't keep me out of locked liquor cabinets.

Since they are old enough to understand things well enough, I show them what a ml of VG looks like - just so they can see the amount, and explain the concentration of my juices (18-24). I let them know that ~40-60mg of nicotine is a lethal dose of nicotine for an adult, so if they drank that small, 1ml, amount of liquid, they would get extremely sick or die. I've said this because, as much as I've read, the 18, 24, 36mg is the amount per ml, and it makes an excellent visual for them to understand. Now I see XX parts per 1000 parts. Did I miss something?

I'm just trying to get clarity. Hoping I'm not sounding off with my typing. (My fingers don't always talk nice, LOL.)

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Hi FreakyStylie - good on you for being a responsible vaper & good parent.
smilefinal.gif

To clarify...a milligram is a thousandth of a gram (1000 milligrams equals one gram). And 1 gram is the equivalent of 1 millilitre. So yeah, you had it right the first time. When you have an 18mg e-juice...that means it contains 18mg of nicotine per 1 mL (or per 1 gram).

However you phrase it...it's 18 parts of nicotine per 1000 parts of liquid. Hope that helps!

P.S. Merry x-mas!
smilefinal.gif

BlitzkriegTim

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2010
Shannon, Quebec, Canada
Maybe me just being a "neophyte" again, but where does the conclusion that 24mg/ml equals 24 parts per thousand or 2.4% come from? Grams are a unit of mass wheras liters are a unit of volume, and the liter itself was designed to be equal to 1kg of pure H2O. Or 1 gram of pure water equals 1 ml. As soon as you change the substance you change it's density and therefore a gram of said substance will occupy a different volume. For instance 1 gram of lead will be be much smaller than 1 cubic centimetre (1ml) whereas 1 gram of oil will be more than 1ml... So, is that conclusion wrong? Or does pure nicotine have the same density as pure water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread