Yowtch! Hot LI-fe Po4's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
I got the Li-fe PO4 tenergies to vape at 6v on my chuck.... they don't last very long- and when they quit, I pushed the button a few times to make sure they were done.... and YOW! Opened up the bottom of the chuck to drop 'em into my hand and they were so HOT they left burn marks!

I had no idea they would get like that; like I held down my button for a couple of 5-6 second tries and gave up just before de-screwing my chuck and holy volcano batteries.. eeep! :shock:

Anyone got a better solution? Do the lithium ion regular ones do that too?

These are the tenergy protected li-fe po4's, the yellow protected ones. Work great with those new higher ohm atty's, btw.

Clues appreciated!:confused:

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
First of all, they are not protected. LiFePo4's do not come protected. Secondly, by pushing the button "a few times" for "5-6 seconds" after you noticed a drop in vapor, you are doing exactly what you should not be doing. Those batteries will heat up and could vent especially when misused, which is what you did.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I never drain my lifepo4s that much. when you notice a drop. quit vaping.. lol
I have used these batteries for almost a year and have never had that happen.
They last me a long time and have been on the same sets for almost a year.

The best advice is dont push them after you notice a drop in vape. It is easy to tell when that occurs.

good luck! they are good batteries. I truest them more than reg li ion's.

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
Lifepo4 batts are a diff chemical compound, made so they do not explode, catch fire, etc. Mine NEVER get hot. warm, but not hot. Do you have more than one set? Do the others do it? :confused: Hope it gets better foor ya and dont push those limits! ;)

I have 6 of 'em. They'll all do it if you're absently-minded vaping on ones that just stopped producing... gotta stay sharp if I want to use them. Now I'm wondering if they are actually protected as in they cut off below a certain voltage, and if not, li ion might not be better if they do :confused:

Of course, the chuck has nothing to do with all that; any mod using 2 stacked batteries would do the same thing. For now, I'm back using my trusty 18650's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread