Status
Not open for further replies.

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
I just received my kayfun clone made by hcigar. The thing is a beauty. The threads are amazing. I thought it was going to be better than my EHpro kayfun.

I cleaned it thoroughly with dawn and hot water. Even got out a mini scrub brush and went to town. As i was putting it back together I noticed something that felt like grit or sand around some of the pieces when I was threading it. I figured I could take care of it later.

I put some Boba's Bounty in it after constructing a micro coil with cotton and gave it a vape. The vapor production was out of this world, but it tasted like i was sucking on metal.

I took it apart and rewashed it, but had the same effect. I did it again and tried boiling the parts.

I think it gave me vapors tongue as my older clone is tasting off as well.

Anyone have any recommendations for me?

pnut599

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Michigan, USA
I was just going to post about this exact same thing but, mine is a Phoenix V3. I don't mean to highjack your thread but, I'd like to hear what advice you get.

First off, I didn't know it was supposed to be cleaned at all. That might be my problem right there. I'm very new at rebuildables. My first was an IGO-S and that thing is great. I've rebuilt the wick and coil a few times so I thought I could try something new.

Every flavor I put into the Phoenix tastes like metallic crap. I can't even touch it it's so bad. Can't wait to hear any thoughts on this.

BoilerRoom

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I wash parts off thoroughly in isopropal alcohol and then a heavy hot water bath and rinse. I make sure thing are totally dry before I build. I don't know about using soap because of added perfumes. Alcohol will cut any oils inside and is water soluble.
I also rinse off and dry the final coil and wick build before adding any juice. Even with all this, it takes a day or so to really smooth out when vaping. This is just what I have found and works for me.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I had an igo-l clone that started tasting like metal last week after a month of use. Turns out the posts were made chrome plated brass, and some of the plating had worn off. Chucked it and and will only use attys with stainless internals going forward.

Doubt the Brass was the issue. I have a SS and Brass tank and it never gives off metal taste. A month old coil could start breaking down though.;)

Generally, If you don't Dry burn your new coils to season them and adjust to correct hot spots, you will get a metallic taste. If it is just from Not dry burning, it should subside in a day or so.
Always Wash out any rebuildable Device. They almost always have residual contaminants.

Avoid using pre-installed wick/coil - most are slapped together poorly and often they are contaminated by residue in the device from manufacturing.

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
Thanks for the replies. Gives me something to try.

I always build my oil coil and fire it on a micro torch before building. I've rebuilt the unit quite a few times today but I hadn't rebuilt the coil. I had dry fired it every time (building and after every wash).

I took the center post screw out the last time when I had boiled everything after a bath. I had recently purchased some 99% alcohol that I could give it a wash in as well if the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread