Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I'm calling these mods the Hybrid vv mods cuz they're not quite a tube mod and not quite a box mod.

I have Zack, Zelda, and Zoey. Zoey's acting a bit cantankerous right now so she won't be presented here. Ima gonna have to show her who's the boss. :laugh:

Features:
- High efficiency 6A, 30W switching converter (OKR-T/6-W12-C)
- Stainless steel case
- Stainless steel atty switch with clicky feel
- Input/output capacitors
- LED batt status indicator
- Low voltage cutoff
- Finger adjustable voltage control wheel
- Juice well
- 3.6 - 6 volt vaping range
- Uses 2, 14500 batts

Zack and Zelda...
hybrids1.jpg

Side view...
hybrids2.jpg

Back view...
hybrids3.jpg

Uses 2, 14500 batts...
hybrids4.jpg

Zack #1...
hybrids4a.jpg

My favorite mods...
hybrids5.jpg

Zack and Zelda's wiring...

hybridwiring.jpg

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Thanks guys! :)

The cases are stainless steel milk frothers... or they were. :laugh:

20233_m.jpg

Only question: HTH did you WIRE those?? :lol:

When are we gonna see 'Registered Supplier' under your name, Mamu? :D

Awesome work!

Drilling the stainless steel was def a major PITA! LOLOLOL!! I had to buy carbide drill bits for it. Wiring wasn't too bad - I pre-wired everything then I used the atty switch hole to insert everything and epoxy in place, then inserted the wiring through the atty hole, then epoxied the atty switch in.

Slicker than smooth these two and I really like the flatness of Zack The Pack. Took me a couple of looks but what is the white one in the favorites?? Is that Zoey the Porcelain Princess?

The small white one is my Sprite mod. I'm afraid Zoey might not make the cut - I'm having a difficult time modding the case. The case has curves that don't take too well to drilling.

xLowEndx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2009
Mesa, Arizona
Great stuff as usual Mamu! So after looking at the picture of the wiring I have a couple questions. I understand the premise of a zener diode, although I think 5.6 is a little low for two 3.7 batts. Was there a reason for this? Also, why are there 2 and is that 220 ohm resistor necessary for the LED or for the zener setup?

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Great stuff as usual Mamu! So after looking at the picture of the wiring I have a couple questions. I understand the premise of a zener diode, although I think 5.6 is a little low for two 3.7 batts. Was there a reason for this? Also, why are there 2 and is that 220 ohm resistor necessary for the LED or for the zener setup?

Thanks xLow!

You can choose whatever zener voltage value you want. I chose 5.6v cuz it actually measures out at 6v when you add the 0.4v of the control pin to it. It's simply a safety voltage value to shut the converter off when the input voltage drops to 6v.

There are 2 zeners - one for the converter and one for the LED - one to shut the converter off when the input voltage drops to 6v and the zener in line with the LED acts as a battery status indicator that prevents the LED from lighting when the voltage drops to 6v - letting you know it's time to charge the batts. The LED will light brightly when the batts are fully or nearly fully charged then dims as the input voltage drops, then is off when the input voltage is 6v or less.

The 220 ohm resistor is in line with the LED to limit the current through the LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread