Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Note: Unable to create clip directly; view from 01:12:35 to 01:16:00 for this topic.

Have you Ever heard of the Debating tactic called the "Omission of the Major Percentile"?

That is where I make a Foundation Statement like...

"Isn't it True by a Youth Data Survey that 8% of the Kids reported that they bought an e-Cigarette from a Gas Station in the last 30 days?"

Then you follow it with a Quantitative Support Comparison...

"And have you Also seen in the Youth Survey Data that 15% of Kids reported that they bought e-Cigarettes from a vape shop in the last 30 days?"

Now you make a Make your Conclusion...

"So how can we Ban e-Cigarette Flavors in Gas Stations and Not in vape Shops? When Clearly the numbers are so Disproportional? Shouldn't we be Banning e-Cigarettes in BOTH gas station and vape shops if we want to Stop this problem?"

Three things are Logically Wrong with this type Foundation/Support/Conclusion.

1) There is No Guarantee that what "Kids" will report on a Youth Survey is Correct and Accurate. In fact, Youth Surveys have a Long History of Inaccuracy regarding Questions regarding Illicit or Illegal activities. A serious researcher would think Long and Hard about using Youth Survey data as a Foundation for Public Policy.

2) The Quantitative Support, even if Mathematically correct, Doesn't Account for how Vast Majority of Kids say that they get an e-Cigarettes. Here is the Omission of the Major Percentile. Where are the remaining 77% of Kids supposed to be getting their e-Cigarettes from. (Hint: Social Sources)

3) The Conclusion makes No Supported Assurance that if Flavors are Banned in Both Gas Stations and Vape Shops (or everywhere for that matter) that a reduction of Kids using e-Cigarettes will occur. In fact, the Conclusion make No Assurances, either Supported of Unsupported as to what Outcome if any will occur.

Saying we have to Do Something without being able to Reasonably Define what the Outcome will be at the Population Level is Not a Science Based Public Health Policy as Mr. Zeller likes to refer to the FDA as being entrusted to do.

Put the Multi-Sourced Data on the Dias that Reasonably shows what the Reduction in Kids using an e-Cigarette will be if the FDA does something. And what the Corresponding Decrease in Adults Not Quitting Smoking because Flavors are Unavailable and we would have something to talk about.

Else Mr. Zeller should leave the Congressional Azz Kissing for the Next Time the FDA is up for a Funding Appropriation. Or the Next Time a New FDA Commissionaire is incoming.

Last edited:

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
Interesting. It doesn’t sound good for vape shops being allowed to continue selling flavored eliquids in the near future or for users that aren’t stocked up on nicotine. I gathered that the White House is the hold-up on the FDA proceeding with a flavor ban. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a total ban on online sales when guidance is released.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Interesting. It doesn’t sound good for vape shops being allowed to continue selling flavored eliquids in the near future or for users that aren’t stocked up on nicotine. I gathered that the White House is the hold-up on the FDA proceeding with a flavor ban. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a total ban on online sales when guidance is released.

It's Hard to say.

Many believe that Trump will just kick the Flavor Ban under the rug. And just let things Wind Down as per the Deeming.

I mean, why use Political Capital on something when the End to that something is going to come in 157 days anyway?

What can Really be Gained?

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
It's Hard to say.

Many believe that Trump will just kick the Flavor Ban under the rug. And just let things Wind Down as per the Deeming.

I mean, why use Political Capital on something when the End to that something is going to come in 157 days anyway?

What can Really be Gained?

Nothing to be gained at all and I agree that after May 2020 it will be a moot point.

Trump is aware of the possible implications to his re-election and does not want to make a decision. There will be lots of folks unhappy regardless of the decision.

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread