Zen Sidewinder -- screw upgrade to brass and battery tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjallen57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Honolulu
I couldn't find this anywhere, so decided to post it up. I got a SW a little while ago and loved the build quality and the form factor. I was though a bit taken aback by the lag of time to fire and the overall power of the fire. And, I never really thought about the form factor and how it affected taking batteries out (i.e., turning the thing upside down which can be problematic w/ and RBA because of the open hole on top).

So, I decided that I would upgrade my screws to brass, and boy am I glad I did. I get near-instant coil action and the output is way more than before. I also got some strong circular magnets that now allows me to simply hover above the battery and suck it up outta the chamber. No tipping involved now.

I believe that replacing the stock screws may void the warranty on the mod, so keep that in mind and/or research before you do this.

If you want to do this, it's pretty simple. I got all of these parts at my local Home Depot. Price for the screws was about $4-6 (some came w/ 2-3 screw packs).

Parts I got (all brass):

Screws
1. 8-32 x 2"
2. 8-32 x 1/2"
3. 10-24 x 3/8"
4. 8-32 x 3/4"

One of the screws (the one that goes in the bottom of the tank side and connects the bottom aluminum piece to the housing (and acts as the connection to the spring) did require some grinding/sanding. Couldn't find perfect length. I sanded mine down w/ some rough sandpaper (was late at night and didn't wanna grind w/ my dremel).

I also got brass washers to supplant those that go under the firing button.

For the magnet, I got what they called 'super magnets'. They're circular ones that are a little small than the circumference of the battery chamber.

The only thing now that I'm looking for is a brass spring for the connection between the tank screw and bottom screw.

Was a little disappointed w/ the performance of the SW before I did these changes. Now, it works like a champ. Of course, ymmv.

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread