Zenesis Medius Gun Metal Finish - Good but not perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Alright... I bought this thing from electronictix via international shipping. It costed me 259$ + 50$ shipping + 48.74$ for border scam... I mean fees. So here it is the review for you:

ymavu4ev.jpg

Comparing the gun metal finish of the Vamo against the Zenesis Medius is like comparing Mohammed Ali's boxing vs Mary Poppins kung-foo.

The coroner declares Mary Poppins deader than Elvis, takes a vape on his Z2 and grabs a beer with the boxer formerly known as Clay.

This finish is not a finger print magnet by any stretch of the imagination, it is shiny while preserving the stainless brush finish that makes this thing the best looking device in my collection.

The atty portion of the device is very well built, easy to use and the snug fit top cap is a great improvement over the z atty pro loose top cap. I have no problem picking the mod up by its cap... no worries there.

The gold connections makes the device looking pretty great under the hood. Although gold is not the best conductive material compared to brass or copper at least it doesn't tarnish and will last a long time.

The battery rattle might be considered utterly unacceptable for some of you out there but it doesn't bother me at all. But bare that in mind, there is no adjustability when it come to the switch or the atomizer's center pin to snug the battery up like other high-end devices. Zen himself says that the battery rattle is there by design... excuses or genius? I don't know... But if for some weird reason you like shacking your device, it will rattle. Some folks found ways to stop this from happening and a quick google search will inform you on how to do it if you choose to do so.

My biggest problem with this thing is with the switch: As you all know the switch doesn't lock but that's not the problem. It will not fire under it's own weight. The throw might not be the shortest I've seen but it is ok. What really bothers me is that the button part sometimes unscrew itself from the rest of the switch assembly and I have to tighten it down pretty often with my fingers. Using the proper allen key to snug it up would probably solve that problem but since I have lost my allen key set... you get the picture. That being said, the threading are buttery smooth.

AW IMR batteries are not known to catastrophically vent any sort of gases but in the unlikely and unfortunate event that they would, the gases would have nowhere to go and turn your nice Z2 into a pipe bomb. Unless some kind of safety feature that I'm not familiar with exists on the device, vent holes are nowhere to be found.

I've read on many occasions that the voltage drop on this device is astonishingly high. I have no way of measuring it (or don't know how with a multimeter) but at 0.8 ohms, this thing fires exactly how I would expect it. The voltage drop, if that terrible, would probably be more apparent for ultra-low ohm users but I believe that ultra-sub ohms are for ultra-douchebags that wants to kill their batteries anyways so I guess a voltage drop is a good thing considering that this thing doesn't have any vent holes.

All in all, I give this thing a thumbs up. It's not perfect and if you think that a 259$ device should be perfect, this might not be for you. It is the only thing I vape when I'm home and I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't mind battery rattle, no venting a button that doesn't lock and unscrews itself from time to time and a rumored voltage drop under load.

The shear beauty of it, built quality,ruggedness, extraordinary finish, superior machining, flawless threading and ease of use makes it my personal hybrid of choice.

Keep on vaping.

Last edited:

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Nice review. I recently purchased a Z2 from the same site. I went for the stainless version with all the various sized matching tubes but didn't bother with the car to tank or 510 top cap. I use one of the evolv kick2 modules with AW 18490 batts in the 18650 tube. Works like a charm with virtually no battery rattle and no gaps between the switch, tube and genny atty.

I agree with the 'not perfect' part but for a different issue. Every single threaded part that was in the kit (switch, tubes, and the atty)had rough leftover bits of metal shavings that were still stuck on the threads. Not a big deal for me since I have enough machining tools, taps and dies, and files laying about to fix it....but it was mildly disappointing to have to clean up the mess. My main surprise was that it was on every part. I could understand a bit on one or two spots but on every one?

I chalk it up to bad luck. I love the device and it runs awesome kicked with a 2 ohm coil or unkicked with a sub-ohm. Battery life with the 18350 unkicked/sub-ohm is atrocious for me (30 mins top) but in the 18500 tube kicked/2ohm ran almost 3-4 hours.

There was a gap in the threads using the 18350/kick2/18500 tube, but the supplied o-rings filled them up. A little odd looking to me but it may not be to others.

For the most part I'll stick to the 18500/kick2/18650 tube setup. It is shorter than my Provari/ZAP 18500 setup and performs about the same. I really like my Z2 and the Kick2. The original Kick's 10 watt limit just didn't do anything for me.

Hope that helps someone and sorry if I unintentionally hijacked your review. Just seemed silly to write a separate one when 95% of what I was going to say, you already wrote.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread