Zephyrus RDA best coil you've built?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
So I've been toying around with the Zephyrus tank and the best I've been able to do is a 6 wrap 26g kanthan a1 at .34ohm wicked nicely by angling the wick downwards when put into juice port

It runs perfectly up to about 30-31w where I'll start to get dry hits after about 2 solid pulls on it

What are some builds you've all been successful with?

I chase flavor not clouds

Are there any builds or different wire I can use to possibly get more of what im looking for out of this?

I'm perfectly happy with what it's providing me now but I'm your typical American and want more out of it :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 98

3ebmike

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2015
Try building a fused clapton.. I just built this sucker about a week ago and I've been non-stop vaping on it.. the flavor off of the fused clapton is amazing. Clocks in at about .19 ohm so it chucks the clouds if need be.. I usually just take nice slow draws to savor the flavor. I've only been building for about a month now and have really gotten into it!
Fused clapton.jpg

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Try building a fused clapton.. I just built this sucker about a week ago and I've been non-stop vaping on it.. the flavor off of the fused clapton is amazing. Clocks in at about .19 ohm so it chucks the clouds if need be.. I usually just take nice slow draws to savor the flavor. I've only been building for about a month now and have really gotten into it! View attachment 488252
That looks nice. I don't know if I have enough room for a Clapton in this build just because it's a RTA and I don't have much to work with in my chimney

toucandan229

Dec 11, 2014
South GA, USA
Don't have the picture of my build, but I have been absolutely loving 7 wraps of nichrome 80 with a 2.4mm inner diameter. Comes out to around .27 - .30 after dry fire every time if I build it as close to the posts as possible. It's been performing amazing for me personally, nice warm flavor at 40 watts on my tiny little istick 40 and still puts out more than enough vapor. Oh and there isn't enough room for a clapton unfortunately... There isn't even enough room in there for a 3mm 26g coil:(

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Don't have the picture of my build, but I have been absolutely loving 7 wraps of nichrome 80 with a 2.4mm inner diameter. Comes out to around .27 - .30 after dry fire every time if I build it as close to the posts as possible. It's been performing amazing for me personally, nice warm flavor at 40 watts on my tiny little istick 40 and still puts out more than enough vapor. Oh and there isn't enough room for a clapton unfortunately... There isn't even enough room in there for a 3mm 26g coil:(
Awesome! I was thinking about trying a different type of wire but no matter what I can't seem to go about 30 without dry hits.... :mad: I've seen a lot of quad builds on it I'm tempted to try

toucandan229

Dec 11, 2014
South GA, USA
Awesome! I was thinking about trying a different type of wire but no matter what I can't seem to go about 30 without dry hits.... :mad: I've seen a lot of quad builds on it I'm tempted to try
Hmm try using a little less cotton, for 2.4mm ID coils I tend to use enough cotton to where there is some resistance for sure, but if you held the device sideways by the cotton, the coil would slide off the cotton. Also I wick like grimmgreen did in his review for the tank and have had immense success with this method and 80/20 juice. Hope this helps!

Reactions: bpurtell89

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Hmm try using a little less cotton, for 2.4mm ID coils I tend to use enough cotton to where there is some resistance for sure, but if you held the device sideways by the cotton, the coil would slide off the cotton. Also I wick like grimmgreen did in his review for the tank and have had immense success with this method and 80/20 juice. Hope this helps!
80/20 is really thin eliquid.. I think you mean 20/80

PG/VG

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
The kind of resistance wire quite frankly doesn't matter. 50W coming off of ni-chrome is the same as 50W coming off of Kanthal as long as the gauge is the same.
I just wasn't sure if nichrome would make a difference in flavor or anything

FYI I'm very new to building so my questions are somewhat within reasoning lol

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I just wasn't sure if nichrome would make a difference in flavor or anything

FYI I'm very new to building so my questions are somewhat within reasoning lol

People attribute a lot of flavor differences to a lot of different things, very few of which make any sense.

There are three variables that matter, heat concentration or mW/mm^2, airflow and juice flow.

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
People attribute a lot of flavor differences to a lot of different things, very few of which make any sense.

There are three variables that matter, heat concentration or mW/mm^2, airflow and juice flow.
And my biggest problem is that of getting it hot enough to really bring out the flavor

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
And my biggest problem is that of getting it hot enough to really bring out the flavor
There's two ways to do that, turn the heat up or take a slower draw.

If you take a slower draw you'll need to close down the airflow control so that the negative pressure that draws eliquid into the wick stays at the right level.

toucandan229

Dec 11, 2014
South GA, USA
2lnfx8i.jpg

FIgured if I was going to talk about my build, I might as well show it so I rebuilt my old faithful for the sake of this picture.
Top left is the resistance pre fire, top right is post dry fire(positive lead on my ohm meter came loose right after that picture, istick 40 tends to be relatively accurate though.), bottom left is build with the chamber and cotton installed, and bottom right is the resistance after everything was put back together, filled with juice, and vaped a few times. Can't get enough of nichrome 80 personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread