Zero Nic juice at night? Nic keeping me up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Is it just me? I vape more during the evening and I think the nicotine is keeping me awake.

I'm making a zero nic juice ATM and hoping it will help, since the OTC sleep meds did nothing.:blink:

I'm already a 'night person' and up till 12-1 before sleeping, but lately it's been 4-5AM before I can sleep and of course, vaping the whole time.:facepalm: If I'm going to continue vaping at night, I figure I need a no nic juice.

As it is, my normal juice is only 4-6mg, but I'm a power vaper! (chain vaping all the time :laugh:)

So tell me, is it just me? Does anyone else have to drop their nic level at night?

Deb - NCPatches

MissAmerican

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I make some zero nic bottles sometimes to use at night and chain vape also. When I first started to really chain vape I was using 18mg and it was as if I drank a gallon of coffee and then tried to go to sleep. I use low mg nic now about 6mg, but the nicotine is a stimulant so add chain vaping to that and it can make it even more difficult to fall asleep. I've always been a night person too so its good to have some zero nic juice there as an option :)

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I make some zero nic bottles sometimes to use at night and chain vape also. When I first started to really chain vape I was using 18mg and it was as if I drank a gallon of coffee and then tried to go to sleep. I use low mg nic now about 6mg, but the nicotine is a stimulant so add chain vaping to that and it can make it even more difficult to fall asleep. I've always been a night person too so its good to have some zero nic juice there as an option :)

YAY! See Danny, it's not just me! :)

OK, then I think I'm on the right track. I was a chain smoker, no surprise I'd be a chain vaper. :laugh:

Have a sweet watermelon in the UC for a bit, hoping it comes out well for the evenings.

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
I originally thought this (too much nic) to be true as well, but have since realized that not being able to sleep was due to the fact that I was no longer smoking. Consider that nicotine is both a stimulant and a depressant based on the quantity consumed and the rate at which it is absorbed. Smoke enough combustibles and youll surely fall asleep. Due to lower absorption rates, I think this effect is much more difficult to achieve with vaping. Also remember youre no longer inhaling the gasses and chemicals in cigarettes (carbon monoxide for example) that may also contribute to a drowsy effect. Take these away and now your sleep aid is gone and insomnia can set in. Eventually I think it evens out as one adjusts to the new delivery method. Another interesting thing you might experience is the return of dreams. I think in fact that cigarettes were killing my ability to dream, they are certainly back now that I have quit. Some are quite vivid, and I suppose this can be both a positive and a negative. I vape about 5ml of 14mg / day with no further problems sleeping.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I originally thought this (too much nic) to be true as well, but have since realized that not being able to sleep was due to the fact that I was no longer smoking. Consider that nicotine is both a stimulant and a depressant based on the quantity consumed and the rate at which it is absorbed. Smoke enough combustibles and youll surely fall asleep. Due to lower absorption rates, I think this effect is much more difficult to achieve with vaping. Also remember youre no longer inhaling the gasses and chemicals in cigarettes (carbon monoxide for example) that may also contribute to a drowsy effect. Take these away and now your sleep aid is gone and insomnia can set in. Eventually I think it evens out as one adjusts to the new delivery method. Another interesting thing you might experience is the return of dreams. I think in fact that cigarettes were killing my ability to dream, they are certainly back now that I have quit. Some are quite vivid, and I suppose this can be both a positive and a negative. I vape about 5ml of 14mg / day with no further problems sleeping.

If that's the case, what would you suggest? Only been a month for me and this sleep issue is awful.

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
If that's the case, what would you suggest? Only been a month for me and this sleep issue is awful.

Thats easy... dont go back to smoking, keep vaping and sleep will improve. It took me about 3 months. By all means if you think lowering nic content will help, try it, I know some people vape different strengths based on time of day. I started at 18mg/ml as well and lowered to 14 and I vape pretty much all the time. Even chain-vaping as much as I do, I still think its difficult to get the amount of nicotine as I previously got from cigarettes, but overall I feel a lot better now than I did 6 months ago, and my sleep has improved dramatically in the last couple months.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Thats easy... dont go back to smoking, keep vaping and sleep will improve. It took me about 3 months. By all means if you think lowering nic content will help, try it, I know some people vape different strengths based on time of day. I started at 18mg/ml as well and lowered to 14 and I vape pretty much all the time. Even chain-vaping as much as I do, I still think its difficult to get the amount of nicotine as I previously got from cigarettes, but overall I feel a lot better now than I did 6 months ago, and my sleep has improved dramatically in the last couple months.

OK, I'll try a zero nic at night, for a couple days and see if that helps, don't like taking pills. Can't hurt. Who knows? :)

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Hmmmm I always had a cigarette right before I went to bed at night. I switched to vaping and no change in sleeping difficulty here. I sure hope that you figure this out as insomnia must be awful! :blink:

I always had one before bed too and occasionally during the night if I got up, for over 40 yrs. Guess I may be grasping at straws, but I can't keep sleeping till mid afternoon, I have things to do. Sometimes. LOL

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
That's great, congrats! :toast:

Thank you! I am so excited! :banana:

My son is at 2 months now, but he's not on ECF. He started with the Blu and I got him on an eGo and clearo and he's lovin' it! Says compared to the Blue, it's High Tech!:laugh: Thank goodness he's not on here, he'd go broke.:laugh: (Like I did and I haven't gotten near what I want.)

Mcp15

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
CT
Congrats ncpatches! Too much nicotine could be a problem...try lowering the level in the evening and see if it helps. One other thing to consider is a thyroid issue. I thought I was consuming too much nicotine, too. Normally I could sleep through ANYTHING, but suddenly I couldn't get to sleep, I'd wake up during the night. Then I noticed an increased heart rate, bp was elevated slightly, and sometimes had a slight tremor/shake in my hands when I was doing something detailed.
Long and short, mydoc ran a thyroid blood test, and I was diagnosed with HYPER thyroid ism. It seems that cigarette smoking can mask hyperthyroid symptoms, so when you quit, it manifests itself. Very similar symptoms to too much nicotine. It seems to affect women more than men. Lots of research, some dr visits, and I feel like my normal self. And I'm happily vaping, too!

Good luck to you!

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Congrats ncpatches! Too much nicotine could be a problem...try lowering the level in the evening and see if it helps. One other thing to consider is a thyroid issue. I thought I was consuming too much nicotine, too. Normally I could sleep through ANYTHING, but suddenly I couldn't get to sleep, I'd wake up during the night. Then I noticed an increased heart rate, bp was elevated slightly, and sometimes had a slight tremor/shake in my hands when I was doing something detailed.
Long and short, mydoc ran a thyroid blood test, and I was diagnosed with HYPER thyroid ism. It seems that cigarette smoking can mask hyperthyroid symptoms, so when you quit, it manifests itself. Very similar symptoms to too much nicotine. It seems to affect women more than men. Lots of research, some dr visits, and I feel like my normal self. And I'm happily vaping, too!

Good luck to you!

Thank you, but I already beat ya to it! :laugh: I have Graves Disease, that causes hyperthyroidism. It sux. I have those symptoms all the time. Nothing new here. :( But just been for the last week or so, having problems sleeping.

Made a no nic juice, been tooting that for about 3.5 hrs. Only hit the nic juice a couple times in that time and I'm about to try going to sleep, although I have my doubts. We'll see soon enough. :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Well shoot, Danny! I've been a smoker for 40+ years too, but now being off the sticks for a month today BTW, I noticed the last few days I've had problems sleeping and wondered if it was from the nic.

Maybe I am the only one.:?:

Vaping delivers a lower level of NIC then smoking cigarettes so maybe it's your body adjusting to lower nicotine. That's actually a good thing. But not getting sleep is not to good. I would try to get as much rest as you can. I'm sure it's temperary. I myself didn't notice a drastic change in sleep.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
possibly, nicotine is a stimulant. but i find that regardless of what i do i can only sleep for like 5 or 6 hours a day, generally when my 5 month old decides he wants to sleep

Awww trust me, in 30 yrs you'll wish you were back to losing sleep with a 5 month old. My son is 38, I miss those baby days even if they were tough at the time.

Well, I did sleep better and got to sleep earlier, but I cheated and took a sleep aid. Although last time, it did nothing, so maybe less nic in the evening will help. It'll be an experiment for the next few days. Thanks ya'll for your opinions and suggestions.:thumb:

BLennon

Nov 18, 2013
Philadelphia PA
ncpatches, good luck with the no nic juice. I had the same problem last year and when I stopped vaping early in the evening every night the sleep problems stopped. I too smoked for decades and wolfed down the cigs before bedtime and like one other here would sometimes have one in the middle of the night if I woke up. I'm not going to speculate what is the cause/solution but stopping early at night worked for me.
One thing to consider. I see a number of posts of people smoking for many years. Our bodies change over time. I can't eat anything after 7PM at night or I won't sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread