Not open for further replies.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Wife and I have been smoke free for five+ years (quit on tax day, April 15th
2009!) and no longer miss smoking in any way except the proverbial 'cigarette
after'. Wondering how safe it would be for us to try 0 nicotine vaping?

During a previous try at quitting about 15 years ago we shared a single
clover cigarette every few days for several months without being tempted back
to real tobacco. Two packs total IIRC, imported from Europe and very
difficult to find local. Ran out and was sold a pack of herbal cigarettes
which we told were nicotine free. Unfortunately we were lied to and that one
pack got us hooked again. Obviously do not want a repeat of this so
wondering if there is a simple test to make sure the juice is not
mis-labled?

Neither of us has ever tried an E-Cigarette so we have no direct knowledge.
From searching this forum I think a Mid-size with natural red LED and a large
realistic cloud might suit us. Bonus would be one that looks like an analog
in an elegant holder.

BTW boggled by all these new terms and abbreviations so please excuse my
mishmash of describing things.

There are nicotine testers, which you can find at my DIY stores and websites. If you are really unsure then pick one up and test juice before you vape it. Nicotine cost money though so secretly adding it means less profit and most juice makers don't make a high %.

There are several brands of Juice that only make 0 nicotine as well.

(DIY = Do It Yourself, Juice = liquid used for vaping)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

I like your way of thinking. However, some of your plans don't add up.

Anything that looks like an 'analogue' won't make much vapour.
I'm not sure anything mid-sized or bigger comes with a LED... but I might be wrong.

If you want to try vaping (zero nic) have a look into products like Kanger EVOD or EMOW.

Just be careful though, the sharks are out there. I have found some disgraceful prices, some even from "forum approved" vendors.

Muero

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
Nashville TN
You know I have a couple of friends who never smoked really, but they occasionally used hookahs. I bought them a 0 nic ego starter kit and they love it, and never use their hookah. Seeing as the flavor could be bad for you but no one knows, there is always a risk involved, but since you won't be using it all the time like nic users/vapers the risk of inhaling potentially dangerous flavors is pretty minimal since your intake would be relatively low.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I would expect no one would intentionally use nic when not supposed to be, so that leaves accidents, more likely if you buy lots of juices. See if you can find a shop that mixes their own or maybe mix your own after a while. Also nicotine is somewhat yellow (especially with age) so clear fluids should be OK. Some experts say pure nicotine is not addictive, that takes whole tobacco.

There have been reports that cig-alike devices can tempt longtime vapers to have a cig. Apparently their effectiveness as a transition device is 2-way. The cheapest device I can recommend is the MFS EVOD blister pack kit. These can blow some impressive vapor, even if dwarfed by high-power units.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Wife and I have been smoke free for five+ years (quit on tax day, April 15th
    2009!) and no longer miss smoking in any way except the proverbial 'cigarette
    after'. Wondering how safe it would be for us to try 0 nicotine vaping?

During a previous try at quitting about 15 years ago we shared a single
    clover cigarette every few days for several months without being tempted back
    to real tobacco. Two packs total IIRC, imported from Europe and very
    difficult to find local. Ran out and was sold a pack of herbal cigarettes
    which we told were nicotine free. Unfortunately we were lied to and that one
    pack got us hooked again. Obviously do not want a repeat of this so
    wondering if there is a simple test to make sure the juice is not
    mis-labled?

in an elegant holder.

BTW boggled by all these new terms and abbreviations so please excuse my
    mishmash of describing things.

You can make your own liquid:

1: simplest liquid is PG: propylene glycol. You might get that at the pharmacy.
    2: to get some more cloud you could add some glycerin to the PG.

I have a 120ml bottle of glycerin + 10% water (no nicotine) which is my current vape.
    (ok occasionally I drop a drop or 3 of halo tribeca 24 in my dripper or drop 1 to 3 drops into my 15ml needle bottle with the glycerin+water mix).

Last edited:

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 28, 2014
    North Georgia USA
    I like your way of thinking. However, some of your plans don't add up.

Anything that looks like an 'analogue' won't make much vapour.
    I'm not sure anything mid-sized or bigger comes with a LED... but I might be wrong.

If you want to try vaping (zero nic) have a look into products like Kanger EVOD or EMOW.

Was not aware of the differences between sizes. So if it is a choice between light or vapour but not both we may end up with one of each. If we do not get scared off by temptations the first time.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 28, 2014
    North Georgia USA
    I would expect no one would intentionally use nic when not supposed to be, so that leaves accidents, more likely if you buy lots of juices. See if you can find a shop that mixes their own or maybe mix your own after a while. Also nicotine is somewhat yellow (especially with age) so clear fluids should be OK. Some experts say pure nicotine is not addictive, that takes whole tobacco.

There have been reports that cig-alike devices can tempt longtime vapers to have a cig. Apparently their effectiveness as a transition device is 2-way. The cheapest device I can recommend is the (link I can not post)These can blow some impressive vapor, even if dwarfed by high-power units.

I think the other experts who say less rather than not addictive are the the ones who are correct. Kept using medium strength patches (cut in to ever smaller pieces) far longer than recommended. Once the other demon was slain getting off of just nicotine was easy.

The one you recommend would certainly be cheap enough to try first. If it brings up more temptations than memories it will go straight in the trash. Also noticed they sell a ten flavor sample pack, will look for one in a zero nicotine. Two different people up thread recommended MtBaker for liquid will try them first.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
    to ecf OldBatty. So glad you are here and congrats on the no smoking. The jury is still out on if vaping is harmful but I know for a fact it is better than smoking. It would be so easy for you to buy some VG at Walmart along with some Watkins flavorings and make your own after you get a kit. Or you could find some really good deals on this thread. . . http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/pay-forward-pif/418767-deals-steals-261.html
    JC_link.gif

Good luck to you and I look forward to reading more about you. Have fun.

sketchness

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    couple of these: 510 Bridgeless Atomizers

With these: Regular Glass Drip Tips They are neat as you can see the vapor in the long ones

on a couple of these: Vision Spinner 1300mah

Charged on this Universal eGo Battery Charger

Three or four drops into the atomizer couple really good flavorful puffs and you are good. can change between flavors really fast. the atomizers are good for 5 weeks of use before needing changed. Less if you are an occasional vaper and you keep the coil moist when stored. enitre setup is less than 30 each to try

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 28, 2014
    North Georgia USA
    couple of these: Bridgeless Atomizers

With these: Regular Glass Drip Tips They are neat as you can see the vapor in the long ones

on a couple of these: Vision Spinner 1300mah

Charged on this Universal eGo Battery Charger

Three or four drops into the atomizer couple really good flavorful puffs and you are good. can change between flavors really fast. the atomizers are good for 5 weeks of use before needing changed. Less if you are an occasional vaper and you keep the coil moist when stored. enitre setup is less than 30 each to try

Like the glass tips, though my wife like the ones with the frogs better. But never mind us for a moment, trying to help my 75 year old FIL quit. A never smoked relative set him up with a BLU and 13 / 16 MG cartridges from Wall-mart. He is not at all satisfied with it so I'm wondering if the rig you suggest would be a good choice for him? Perhaps with a type C tip instead of the see through... Discussed with him what I have learned here the past few days and he is OK with no light and more vapor. He wants to stick with tobacco flavors only. So this and a ten flavor sample pack in full strength might be excellent present for him?

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Austin, TX
    www.thesmilingwolf.com
    I think the other experts who say less rather than not addictive are the the ones who are correct. Kept using medium strength patches (cut in to ever smaller pieces) far longer than recommended. Once the other demon was slain getting off of just nicotine was easy.

The one you recommend would certainly be cheap enough to try first. If it brings up more temptations than memories it will go straight in the trash. Also noticed they sell a ten flavor sample pack, will look for one in a zero nicotine. Two different people up thread recommended MtBaker for liquid will try them first.

I've been buying from Mt Baker well over a year now and they do good work. Testing for nic is a pain from what I've seen. I'd go with buying from reputable vendors like Mt Baker instead.

0 nic vaping ought to be no problem. The ingrediants are items used in food and medications. Yeah, it's true they may not have tested the flavorings being "vaporized" but we've been baking and eating the stuff a while now. :)

It is true that the devices that are more like a cig (the "cig-a-like") aren't as good at vapor production as the more advanced and less cig like devices. For one, the batteries are so much smaller to fit into a cig shaped tube, they don't have much power to generate lots of vapor. Main thing is, I can't think of any "cig-a-like" that's 0 nic. They're aimed at smokers and it's the "vaper" world you find the folks who care about 0 nic (lots of vapers after switching will "wean" themselves off nic entirely and 0 nic vape because they like vaping).

A compromise might be the middle ground like an eGo style kit. Roughly "sharpie" size with refillable tanks. Like, oh, MBV has some: Innokin Beginner Starter Kit - Mt Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes. Doesn't have to be that exact one but something along those lines is a good starter. Pretty simple to use, not too big (back when I used that style, it'd fit in my top pocket and people thought it was a pen), and you pick the juice or juices you want instead of being stuck with a company's "cartridges" (like with NJOY... who, mind you, I like and use as a "secondary" device when I wanna "play smoke" as I call it but only their cartridges work on their batteries so your choices are limited).

Take a look over Mt Baker's starter kits: Electronic Cigarette Starter Kits | Ego e-Cig Starter Kit - Mt Baker Vapor. I'm fond of Innokin myself. Have the VTR. 'Course that's a "higher end" widget with a rather steep "start up" cost. Not something I'd recommend to someone just starting out (decent vapor production though, I'm fogging up the living room right now ;) ).

The "sharpie" sized widgets can do decent vapor. I quit smoking (after 30+ years) using one like the inexpensive Innokin. It was a close enough "approximation" of smoking (but with way better flavors!) to pull me away from tobacco.

One thing about juices: if you want vapor, start with "PG 50% VG 50%" in their options. It's a good middle of the road mix of the two base liquids and produces good vapor. You can change later when all our techie sounding terms aren't so confusing. :)

(More VG is said to produce better vapor but mute flavor while more PG carries flavor better but the vapor is less... split the difference then, later, adjust to taste)

Mt. Baker does lots of discounting. Use the forum abbreviation (ECF) as a "discount code" and they'll knock about 10% off your order. Orders over about $15, they'll toss in a free juice sample. Be sure to specify in the comments section you ONLY want 0 nic. You can also, in the comments, ask for a particular juice for your freebie. So if there's a flavor you want to try but not sure you want to buy, ask in the comments. Sometimes I ask, sometimes let them surprise me.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Austin, TX
    www.thesmilingwolf.com
    Like the glass tips, though my wife like the ones with the frogs better. But never mind us for a moment, trying to help my 75 year old FIL quit. A never smoked relative set him up with a BLU and 13 / 16 MG cartridges from Wall-mart. He is not at all satisfied with it so I'm wondering if the rig you suggest would be a good choice for him? Perhaps with a type C tip instead of the see through... Discussed with him what I have learned here the past few days and he is OK with no light and more vapor. He wants to stick with tobacco flavors only. So this and a ten flavor sample pack in full strength might be excellent present for him?

He may not care for "dripping". It can produce really great flavor but it can also be a pain (well, at least it was for me). The Vision batteries are good. Used to use those and Twists myself. But found the small, refillable tank like "clearomizers" (as they're called round these parts) to be way easier to work with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread