Not open for further replies.

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
All credit goes to ScottyBalls for the original ZFM and Canabino for his XL cone type version.

I'll post up pictures later when I get a chance, but here it is...

I took a bowl scrapper:

slickepott_lecreuset2.jpg

And carefully cut it to the shape of the eGo XL Carts, slightly smaller so it fits inside. At first I thought I had cut it too small in places (failed twice prior to this one) but it actually pushes the sides of the cart out slightly (not enough that it cracks or doesn't fit, just snug). Tested with pure PG, no leaks while standing up for 20 minutes.

Took it out and carefully (with a box cutter and a precision screwdriver) bore a small hole (just enough that I can see light coming through) through the center. Put it back in, still no leaking.

vaping is consistent, haven't noticed any leaks yet. I will be testing it for leaks overnight by leaving it standing on the battery overnight. I'm confident there won't be, as every other mod attempt leaks within minutes when standing up. Right now I have over 2ml of liquid in there, and it's going strong!

Update: Sat on the battery, cart up, for 7 hours and not a single drop leaked out!

Last edited:

arjay55

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2010
- ɹəpun uʍop -
I don't have my eGo yet (it's in transit) so I could only use my 510 carts as inspiration. Don't really know if the info would work on an eGo XL cart but just putting it out there a a thought.

Just wondering if you take the cart and place it on one of those silicon baking sheets and then give it a sharp tap with a hammer, would it cut it leaving the perfect size. Even if it didn't cut through it should leave a nice outline/indent to use as a cutting guide.

I normally only use cartomizers but this ZFM mod has me intrigued. I got 5 cart and atty with my 510 kit, but have just been pulling the filler out of the cart and using it as a mouth piece.

I imagine I will now be kicked out of this cartridge-mod section for ever ):

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
The plastic on these just isn't hard enough to punch through the silicon (unless it's really thin, in which case it won't hold well enough as a plug). I just took a pencil and traced around the outside, then trimmed as needed until it slid in just right. Still sucking on the same fill from last night, VERY consistent vape.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
This might be posted elsewhere but I ran across it on a You Tube video today. I don't have the 510 XL carts to try it out. I was searching for something for my ever leaking Ego mega atty and cart. Anyway, they took one of the soft tips from a 510 carto and placed it on the end of their 510 XL cart. The hole is already there and the fit is perfect so there's no need for cutting. They just filled the cart, stuck the soft tip on it and vaped. Looks so simple. I might try it on one of my regular 510 attys and carts and see what happens. I really want to use my Ego mega atty and cart all the time but dangit, it won't stop ...... on me. :(

I have to edit this. I found the video just now and it's a KR808 cart. My bad, but here's the link for those who might find it helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7vpkiDD6FU

Last edited:

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
Can't get to youtube ATM, but given the cart you mentioned I'm pretty sure I've seen it. You must be talking about the cone type, NOT standard XL which is a cylinder shape.

This is the XL atty:

yhst-82650723699043_2120_22599822

This is what the cart looks like:

eGoemptycart.jpg

As you can see, it's not round, therefore you need something shaped perfectly towards it. The one you're talking about is the mod Canabino did (linked in OP) which I referenced in making this method.

SCOTTYBALLS

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Greenville, S.C.
  • Deleted by Lightgeoduck
  • Reason: registered supplier
This might be posted elsewhere but I ran across it on a You Tube video today. I don't have the 510 XL carts to try it out. I was searching for something for my ever leaking Ego mega atty and cart. Anyway, they took one of the soft tips from a 510 carto and placed it on the end of their 510 XL cart. The hole is already there and the fit is perfect so there's no need for cutting. They just filled the cart, stuck the soft tip on it and vaped. Looks so simple. I might try it on one of my regular 510 attys and carts and see what happens. I really want to use my Ego mega atty and cart all the time but dangit, it won't stop ...... on me. :(

I have to edit this. I found the video just now and it's a KR808 cart. My bad, but here's the link for those who might find it helpful.

YouTube - ZFM Easy Zero Filler Ego XL/Mega Cart Mod. Vape all of your E-Juice

I could follow these steps until the bit about 'squeeze softly until both ends meet'....I dont get this at all. Any clarifications?

SCOTTYBALLS

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Greenville, S.C.
  • Deleted by Lightgeoduck
  • Reason: registered supplier

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Just ordered, but I am uncertain if I will get the right thickness. I asked for between 1/8" and 1/4". Hopefully I'll get that. And if not, I'll try and get rid of some scars. lol I ordered a medical grade sample and a premium grade sample. We'll see how it goes, I have had good luck getting free samples before. Just so you know, if alot of people jump on this deal at once, they will start denieing samples. Try some different companies from this silicone sheeting - Google Search If we spread out and use different suppliers, we won't cause them to throw up a red flag(like happened the last time I found medical supply free samples)

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
E-Mail recieved, mission(maybe) accomplished.

Thank you for visiting our web site at Rubber-Cal - A Comprehensive Source for Sheet Rubber, Rubber Mats, Rubber Flooring. Your sample request has been processed. It will be shipped out to you viaU.S.P.S. and should take approximately 7-10 days to reach your requesteddestination. In the interim if you have any questions, would like to order and/or requireanother price quotation, please do not hesitate to contact us via the WEB orduring standard business hours (7a.m. till 5 p.m. PST) by telephone tollfree @ 1-800-370-9152. SincerelyRobertClient RelationsRobert@rubbercal.comwww.rubbercal.comwww.ducting.com800.370.91523012 South Croddy Way,Santa Ana, CA 92704

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Yes, got my free samples today! That was alot faster than I thought it would be. I got a 2" square of FDA grade silicone, 1/8" thick, and a 2" circle of premium grade 3/16" thick grey silicon. Either one will probably work fine. FOR FREE!!!

That should provide me w/ at least tem of these if I don't eff up. And it was US made, unlike the cheap spatulas. I told them in the request what I wanted to try it for. They seemed more than willing to send out a sample. I think everyone could ask for samples and get them.

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am currently testing one of these out... I mutilated a beautiful kitchenaid silicone spatula to make it (thanks TJMaxx clearance rack). I've been tweaking it for a couple of hours now and it seems to be working now. I will post pictures and instructions of everything if it pans out. LowThudd please give a heads up on how it goes for you man.

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Well, so far so good. This mod, or at least my version of it worked for the evening. No leaks or flooding and good wicking. It makes some gurgly sounds, but I don't care as long as it works. I'm leaving the atomizer and cartridge attached and standing upright overnight with about 2ml of e-liquid in it to test for leaks. I think my version is probably a bit different form yours, valsacar. I'm charging up my batteries for a full day trial tomorrow. I will let you all know what I find out. Thanks for the idea!

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
plug.jpg

Just an update here... This this contraption did not leak overnight. After about an hour this morning, though, the atomizer started to flood a bit. There was quite a bit of gurgling going on. Upon inspection, I found that the seal between the atomizer bridge and plug did not leak.

Rather, the hole was way too big at roughly 2mm x4mm. The bridge was getting oversaturated and leaking began to occur between the cartridge and the atomizer.

Yesterday I kept widening the hole because I was having trouble getting the e-juice to flow through smaller diameter openings. Perhaps the thickness of my plug (4.5mm) was the problem. I am going to try this again with a tapered hole (cone shaped, small opening against the atomizer).

Bottom line: This plug made a very good seal, but I need to adjust the hole size and shape to give the atomizer bridge the proper amount of e-juice without flooding it or giving it too little juice.

librarising

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2010
New York
Yes, got my free samples today! That was alot faster than I thought it would be. I got a 2" square of FDA grade silicone, 1/8" thick, and a 2" circle of premium grade 3/16" thick grey silicon. Either one will probably work fine. FOR FREE!!!

That should provide me w/ at least tem of these if I don't eff up. And it was US made, unlike the cheap spatulas. I told them in the request what I wanted to try it for. They seemed more than willing to send out a sample. I think everyone could ask for samples and get them.

I just emailed them for a sample. I have 3 silicone spatulas and do not have the heart to cut any of them up!

Please let us know how these worked out for you?

Thanks!

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
So far am having no luck with this project. Cutting the plug to be a tight fit is no problem. My issue is the hole in the middle. It does not leak around the edges, rather it seems that there is either too much juice going into the bridge or not enough. If the hole is too small, the atomizer runs dry constantly. If the hole is too big the setup works for a bit, but after a while the atomizer floods and juice starts building up around the base of the bridge. I have made 3 different plugs and done a lot of experimenting on the silicone and that workable hole size is very elusive. I am going to try to get a cutting device that will cut more cleanly than the drill bits I have been using. I think that a cleaner, smoother center hole would possibly feed better and prevent me from having to enlarge the diameter of the opening to the point where it will provide too much e-juice. I guess I need to get some really big surgical needles or something.

librarising

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2010
New York
So far am having no luck with this project. Cutting the plug to be a tight fit is no problem. My issue is the hole in the middle. It does not leak around the edges, rather it seems that there is either too much juice going into the bridge or not enough. If the hole is too small, the atomizer runs dry constantly. If the hole is too big the setup works for a bit, but after a while the atomizer floods and juice starts building up around the base of the bridge. I have made 3 different plugs and done a lot of experimenting on the silicone and that workable hole size is very elusive. I am going to try to get a cutting device that will cut more cleanly than the drill bits I have been using. I think that a cleaner, smoother center hole would possibly feed better and prevent me from having to enlarge the diameter of the opening to the point where it will provide too much e-juice. I guess I need to get some really big surgical needles or something.

Just a thought, there is a whole thread dedicated to the ZFM for regular size carts. Would the size of the hole used be the same?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../53487-zfm-zero-filler-mod.html?highlight=zfm

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Just a thought, there is a whole thread dedicated to the ZFM for regular size carts. Would the size of the hole used be the same?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../53487-zfm-zero-filler-mod.html?highlight=zfm

Yeah, I have been all through that forum. It contains an obscene number of posts! I tried to apply some of the same techniques different members talked about there. I think the difference is that I am using a thicker piece of silicon to avoid the straw. The juice will feed differently through the longer hole due to its surface tension. And I don't think using a thinner piece of silicon big enough to plug the XL cartridge would work. Too flimsy. It seems like the XL bridge just sucks up more juice than the atomizer can handle. I am starting to think I might have to modify the atomizer itself. No danger there... If I can't get the cartridge to work I am going to rip out the bridge and wick for dripping anyway!

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Wait a minute... I think I have an idea...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/70962-my-simple-cart-mod.html

I have been using this and it works. For regular sized cartridges. The polyfill seems to have similar wicking properties compared to the mesh on the bridge. I think I am going to try filling one of the holes that was too big with polyfill. That might help stem the excessive flow of juice. I will report back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread