Zhu Zhu Pets...can U believe the prices??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbphotog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
O-H-I-O
www.facebook.com
Can you believe what people want for Zhu Zhu pets? The hampsters retail for $8-10, and the accessory kits for around $12-25. They are sold out in stores and online stores and you can basically only find them now on amazon, ebay, and craigslist. These people are asking between $30-50 for one hampster and $50-100 ea. for the accessory kits. R U kidding me?!?:confused:

I know this is a popular toy this year, but come on...asking 3 to 5 times what they sell for is ridiculous. It just amazes me that there are people out there that will try and make a huge profit off of a person that only wants to make their child happy.

However, I have found at least one person out there that had an extra hampster and bed & blanket accessory...and has a heart for christmas & not for greed. So, thankfully I am able to get my daughter the hampster she wants with a bed for about the same price that i would pay in a store with tax. I am so grateful to her, she is a blessing.

I know, I know...Christmas isn't suppose to be about toys, it's about Jesus. But to children, it's also about Santa and presents and getting toys they would otherwise never get except on gift giving holidays.

I imagine it's the same for other parents, but for me, the best part about christmas is seeing my babys face when she gets the gift she really wanted. I just don't think it's fair to take advantage of someone that only wants to make their babys happy.

Last edited:

sbphotog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
O-H-I-O
www.facebook.com
Supply and demand. It's the companys fault for not making enough of them. Can't blame people for using capitalism to feed there familys.

haha...."making" hampsters.

how did you know! I work at the hampster factory....i have to attatch the back legs to the body.....

Well, I guess you need to work faster, Dino, lol.

Antha

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2009
Southeast Michigan
I'd read several articles prior to Black Friday all saying that Toys R Us would have tens of thousands in stock. When I went there, they told me they had only stocked 100 for the day and had no idea when more would come in. That irked me, since typically I do not shop at Toys R Us because there prices are always higher than anywhere else.

Unfortunately, if people are willing to pay the price, greedy price-gougers will jack the price up. I myself got one for $30 on Ebay (and that's considered a GOOD price right now). How could I not when I say, "Honey, if I can't get it for Christmas, I'll get it for your birthday" and my 4 year-old says, "Santa will get it if you can't, Mommy". Argh. I couldn't bear to break her heart and disappoint her.

After Christmas, it probably won't be any trouble to get them for their normal price, but right now (even on the UK and Canada websites), you cannot get them for retail and the prices are similar on Ebay.ca and Ebay.uk as they are in the US. Amazon 3rd party sellers are far worse though than the Ebay ones.

As for the company claiming they "didn't make enough" and "didn't anticipate the demand" -- I don't buy that. These toys were a hit Christmas 2008. People weren't as aware of them, there weren't commercials for them, but they sold really well last year. Market tests showed that these would sell very well.

Just like Walmart and other stores not selling the Zhu Zhu pets before Black Friday (even if you found one on the shelf and wanted to purchase it) - they'd tell you, sorry, you can't buy it. It wasn't supposed to be on the floor. The reason? They wanted you to come on Black Friday. Ridiculous.

This is the only thing my daughter really, REALLY wants this Christmas. I wanted to get it for her because we can't have a pet. I hate real hamsters (sorry). I've had more than a few and no matter how much you play with it, they bite and their cages are no fun to clean, etc, etc. I figured this would be a great toy for her.

I can understand people overpricing luxury items, but this is a child's toy. Parents are desperate, kids will be very upset when they don't get it because they cost too much or are too hard to get/find. These people are preying on parents. Yes, we can choose not to buy. Nobody is forcing us (except our children :) ). In the end, I decided to spend $30 in order to avoid my daughter having a broken heart.

I'd like to get her the adventure ball and another Zhu Zhu pet. In the meantime, I'm using the Amazon tracker so that when Amazon.com gets it back in stock (actually Amazon, NOT the 3rd party sellers), it will alert me. Here is the link if this helps anyone else out:

AZ Grabber

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
What is interesting is all the Zhu Zhu Pets that have been bought up and now being sold for outragious prices for pure profit.. Are young adults who learned these twisted moral behaviors from their childhood Christmas experiences.... scary and shameful for what the newer generations bring to the table of morality (lack of it) for the future.... screw everyone around you, to include small children at Christmas and make some easy money from it......

jboze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Orange County, CA
Just like your generation to blame it on the people younger than you. Get a life. If your generation raised their kids to respect adults and not be spoiled rotten little brats, then you wouldn't have to buy some crap toys for them for Christmas. Try buying a real hamster/puppy/whatever that they will still play with past 2 weeks into January and teaching them to show some appreciation for gifts.

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
Just like your generation to blame it on the people younger than you. Get a life. If your generation raised their kids to respect adults and not be spoiled rotten little brats, then you wouldn't have to buy some crap toys for them for Christmas. Try buying a real hamster/puppy/whatever that they will still play with past 2 weeks into January and teaching them to show some appreciation for gifts.

I hear you...lol... but it's not my kids.... that is 100% ... I do blame it on my generation for the down fall of parenting skills (that is true !!!) I just find it interesting that people want to blame the toy companies...

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
I remember about 25 years ago Cabbage Patch Kids sold out at 29.99, and went up to $200.00 on Ebay. Sheesh, woulda been nice money.
But yes, I fell for the zhuzhu thing, 2 pets, 2 beds, a Batcave, a Wheel and track. I'm a gma, what am I going to do when 2 granddaughters are going to be so ecstatic, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread