ZIPPO sized 1200mAh 3.7 volt 510 mod w/biiult-in charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyGoggles

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Hello again!

Been working hard all week, but it's the weekend again and I got my 510 connectors and tank mod(finally).
rockboxparts.jpg rockboxcase.jpg IMG_20120114_041939.jpg
SO, new weekend- new mod! without further ado:
1) the protection circuit came out of a 808 auto battery that i gutted for a previous project.
I replaced the suck-switch with a tactile switch.
charger is the one that came with my old 808 auto batteries that no longer exist.
2) the psp battery housing was not quite big enough to house it all so i cut it away in places
3) I wrapped the whole thing in a strip of novelty duct tape and put generous dollops of hot glue on the leds to protect them and act as lenses.

filled the tank with my favorite juice(hazelnut caramel machiato from topvapor) and vaped away.:vapor:
good combination(carto is a dual coil 1.6 Ohm)

I love it and the whole thing hides right in my palm:blush: I have large hands.

Last edited:

CowboyGoggles

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2012
Huntsville, AL
thanx guys!

the battery lasts me 2 days on a single charge with a dual coil 1.7 ohm carto. cant say what that relates to in hours because i vape about as often as I used to smoke.(1-2 packs a day) I would call this moderate use compared to the stories I have read on ECF.

I would love to make and sell these if there were ppl willing to buy them.

it would be no problem for me to change the charging connector or the arrangement of the components or the color and position of LEDs used, as I have mad soldering skills . :D

The cases could be anything that has a compartment large enough for the parts to fit in. I thought about bulk-buying some small makeup cases about this size to house these in, and they look really cool.
I design circuits and gadgets as a hobby and have all sorts of nifty tools: lathe, 3-d printer, laser cutter.

So far I've just been throwing these together at my desk(made this one in an hour from junk parts), but if you can imagine it, I can probably build it.

I'm working on some easily reproducible designs and will have them available as products soon, but if you want something custom:2cool:, I would have more fun doing that.
I also build custom motorized bicycles and backpack sound systems. This is just my latest interest.:evil:

pm me if there's anything you wanna see made! I love a challenge :)

CG

bydus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
UK
This is awesome. I was thinking so if there is no problem to change the USB i think it would add to portability if you added a mini usb port on the bottom. Question can it be used as a pass-through - vaping and charging? Do you have a charging LED indicator? Most amazing thing would be if you made a case and allowed batteries to slide in and be exchanged :D I'm guessing thats not possible - do you have to take the battery apart in any way?

Also how come do these psp batteries last you longer than standard lets say 14500 or 18650 batteries? Is it a different technology ?

CowboyGoggles

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2012
Huntsville, AL
the way this one is wired, with the parts used, it will not fire while charging:( , but this is just a matter of rearranging the switch.
yes. All of my batteries have LED indicators for charging/charge complete status.
The PSP battery is a high drain Lithium Polymer flat battery. this battery type is the same used in cell phones and many RC applications where heavy load bursts are common. they can be recharged 500-1000 times without noticeable degradation.:p
For this reason, LiPo flat-batts are usually hard-wired into many portable electronic devices(bluetooth headsets, IPODS, tablet computers, etc.)
It just makes sense to integrate the charger in the same way that the manufacturers of these products already do.
however, the charging boards that i'm ordering already have modular connectors for the batteries, so my mods will all have user replaceable batteries from now on.

all units will function as passthroughs while charging, temporarily switching the charger to standby while the button is pressed and resuming when it is released.

the cases will be laser cut and laser etched polycarbonate. as soon as the cad mock-up is finished (next few days)I'll post some textured renders. The first completed units will be assembled as soon as the batteries arrive, and I'll have some tasty pictures and video to show off. :vapor:

It has been an exciting process so far, and I'm looking forward to putting my own product out there.

CG

CowboyGoggles

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2012
Huntsville, AL
this is the board i'll be charging with. https://www.adafruit.com/images/medium/usblipo_MED.jpg
Protection is not built into psp battery cells(without including psp bios board), so I ordered some slightly longer, higher mAh, protected batteries for use in these instead.
saves me the trouble of disassembling them, and keeps the part count low.
without giving too much away, here are some battery specs:
1300mAh 3.7v (nominal)

approx. dimensions of mod: 4.2 x 7.5 x 1.6 cm

VV mod will be next. I'm still looking for a mini vdc meter. the one on madvapes (that everyone else is using) is just WAY too big for my tastes.
the VV will be bigger as it will employ a booster board to obtain those higher voltages, and contain a 2700 mAh battery
which is considerably larger by itself.

I'm already getting tired of talking about this in a future tense.
I'm gonna try to get down to the shop this week and cut out one of these cases so you can see what I'm talking about.

any ideas or suggestions to make this more awesome are welcome. now would be the best time.
CG

Last edited:

bydus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
UK
I can't think of anything else, perhaps a OLED screen ? or some sort of display if it doesn't add too much to the costs. I think your third mod should be one with bottom feeding like in Reo mods :) here are couple of mods with lipo batteries i found, maybe they'll help you in some way or think of something new :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/189772-clutchjunkies-mods.html

Variable Power Mods - Page 16 (look at page 12,13,16 for his mod pics)

Let us know what you think :) looking forward to see what you come up with! Also could you give an estimate of cost of your mod ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread