Zmax overheating at the end cap...common or faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janb8589

Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys. Just wanted to ask if anyone is having a similar experience. I've had my ss Zmax for about 2 weeks now, bought off of madvapes. I've been using it on and off with my other apvs. Currently use it with an LR dual coil carto tank, set to 9 watts, with an AW 18650 battery. I picked it up today, took about 3 hits and nearly burned the edge of my hand on the end cap. I noticed when I fired it, the end cap would heat up quickly, but only during the duration of activation. I don't see anything wrong with the battery or even the inner coil on the end cap and I don't smell anything unusual, no burning, no smoke. The performance of the device is fine otherwise but I'm now kinda afraid to continue using it. I wanted to ask if this was typical of the device and if I should be concerned. :unsure:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Not typical, but if I were you I'd ditch the LR. You don't need low resistance with a Zmax. LR at 9 watts - its likely that's why it got hot. Zmaxs are really designed for a standard resistance range, or higher, and varying your watts with those. You don't need LR with the power you've got.

Using LR you are running higher amps.

Last edited:

janb8589

Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the reply. The resistance on the carto is 2.2 ohms and when I check the voltage to get to 9 watts of power, the device says it's firing at 3.5 volts. I know the dual coils might be affecting the readings. I tried moving the tank to a vv box mod and my provari and fired it at 4.5 volts on both and both devices had no problems with heating. Only seems to happen on the Zmax. But I will try using higher resistance cartos just on the Zmax to see if it works.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
Hey guys. Just wanted to ask if anyone is having a similar experience. I've had my ss Zmax for about 2 weeks now, bought off of madvapes. I've been using it on and off with my other apvs. Currently use it with an LR dual coil carto tank, set to 9 watts, with an AW 18650 battery. I picked it up today, took about 3 hits and nearly burned the edge of my hand on the end cap. I noticed when I fired it, the end cap would heat up quickly, but only during the duration of activation. I don't see anything wrong with the battery or even the inner coil on the end cap and I don't smell anything unusual, no burning, no smoke. The performance of the device is fine otherwise but I'm now kinda afraid to continue using it. I wanted to ask if this was typical of the device and if I should be concerned. :unsure:

I have heard this happening on some other models as well. Haven't encountered it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread