• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Zmax v2 at happy vaper!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Mine is still showing it to arrive yesterday :( I wonder if they forgot to drop of a slip to go get it somewhere else...

Seems like Canada Post is gearing up for the annual Christmastime heel-drag by delaying packages for no reason here and there. Kind of like warm-up sets using lower weights at the gym.

Or, if you prefer, kind of like breaking a horse. Working up to it slowly, so he gets accustomed to the new routine.

Er, sorry. My cynicism's showing again.

gordong11

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2012
Delray Beach, FL (SE FL)
I think it's still a deivce that won't vape great. It's the way it does PWM which is the real culprit, correct me if I am wrong but its still doesn't produce a flat output signal, only changing the PWM peaks and valleys. I don't understand how you charge over $100 and not make a device that produces stable voltage. If Innokin can do it for a third the price on the iTaste V2 and MVP, Smoktech can. I had a cheap PWM VV device and threw it out because the vape was so bad (flavor-wise). Not to mention it blowing out my dripping atties. Besides that they are ripping off Provape's design and menu, which they worked so had to come up with. Get an iTaste MVP it's a much better value imho.

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
PWM good or bad never produces a flat output signal, if you are looking at it with a proper measuring device. However, if you were to say take a multimeter and read the output it would appear to be a solid and steady voltage. Depending the the quality of your multimeter you might even have the option of Vavg vs. Vrms and still see a steady output but ones slightly different.

I finally stopped being lazy and found a decent picture kinda showing how pwm works..

analog_write_pwm_640x234.png

Hopefully this shows you with an even # of pulses depending on how long ( the period Ton) is compared to how long ( the period Toff ) will determine the amount of output voltage you have (Vout).

Imo there is not a big difference between Vavg/mean vs Vrms IF the sample data points were taken over a long enough data set AND the Voltage peaks are the same.

My quick view of all that is being said about the zmax or previously zmax is the poor regulation of both the on/off times as well as the Voltage peaks provided by the PWM signal.

In this case "Vrms" is likely a more true representation of the signal being outputed during our short time of pressing and releasing the button.

For all we know, this 8th level of calculation option (Vrms) might actually mean they just stuck a better capacitor and/or clamping diode in the circuit smooth out the voltage and stop the unwanted spikes.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
PWM good or bad never produces a flat output signal, if you are looking at it with a proper measuring device. However, if you were to say take a multimeter and read the output it would appear to be a solid and steady voltage. Depending the the quality of your multimeter you might even have the option of Vavg vs. Vrms and still see a steady output but ones slightly different.

I finally stopped being lazy and found a decent picture kinda showing how pwm works..

analog_write_pwm_640x234.png

Hopefully this shows you with an even # of pulses depending on how long ( the period Ton) is compared to how long ( the period Toff ) will determine the amount of output voltage you have (Vout).

Imo there is not a big difference between Vavg/mean vs Vrms IF the sample data points were taken over a long enough data set AND the Voltage peaks are the same.

My quick view of all that is being said about the zmax or previously zmax is the poor regulation of both the on/off times as well as the Voltage peaks provided by the PWM signal.

In this case "Vrms" is likely a more true representation of the signal being outputed during our short time of pressing and releasing the button.

For all we know, this 8th level of calculation option (Vrms) might actually mean they just stuck a better capacitor and/or clamping diode in the circuit smooth out the voltage and stop the unwanted spikes.

:blink: uhhhh.... sorry..... stumbled into the wrong room.... *mumbling and backing away* thought I was in a vaping forum.... ended up in an electrical engineering forum....

lol.... just kidding.... y'all impress me.... maybe someday I'll be ready for all this....

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
lol.... just kidding.... y'all impress me.... maybe someday I'll be ready for all this....

Did ya see ..did ya see!! i used my crayons to drawed it! and other than the green crayon I stayed in the lines! :p

^^ comments like that more my style, but every once in a while one of my six personalities slips out that just happened to pay attention while I was furthing my education. Luckily for me he also comes out during interviews .. otherwise ;)

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Yeah, lost me too.. I do like green crayons though. :)

Nice job explaining a complicated topic shades. I'll give you one sixth of a high-five since only one of your personalities participated in this test and it deserves the most credit here!

As for me, I'll just go back to setting my devices at 8 ohms or watts or whatever and happily vape the day away.

p.s - this is me after a morning of skating, and keeping a four year old entertained while supervising my basement remodeling project.

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
As for me, I'll just go back to setting my devices at 8 ohms or watts or whatever and happily vape the day away.

Ultimately that really is all that matters!

We never cared about what exactly was going on with our analogs when we lit them, actually some of the stuff we knew, we generally tried to forget or ignore for the sake of not feeling guilty while getting our fix.

I don't care how many dylithium crystals are needed to power my vaping device, I just set my vaping phasor on what satisifies me and go from there.

When I realized my twist markings were worn down I was upset with the inability to read where it was, until I thought about it and never really looked at them. I always took a hit and from there turned it up or down until I was like "yeah! thats the spot!"

Just once in a while I feel the need to attempt to provide reasonable information if I see misinformation...

I am very happy to stick with my crayons

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
YAY!!! SHINY!! BLUE LEDS!!!!!!!111111 one one

I really like this thing! Solid feel, actually thinner than I thought it would be, purdy blue leds that I am hyper addicted to, and is vaping like a champ :)

Menu took minutes to finger out...might be because I am a click clicky things person by nature, but had no problems at all.

Ohms readings are kinda cool, and helps explain why I was a little lower in voltage on my one star dust.

T2 doesn't fit the base being a little wide, but stardusts did and anything else I tossed at it.

I like the feel of it and the look, and button has a nice tactile feel.

I am currently in the honeymoon phase so if there is anything bad about it I won't notice or start yelling about the top of the toothpaste being left off for a while...

I am happy to have a place to stick my... 18650's into again :)

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new zmax. Got mine 2 days ago and been using it since. Works great and enjoying it as well.

Only thing I'm keeping an eye on is the occasional button issue where it does not fire. Sometimes there is a delay .5-1.0 sec and other times it goes into the menu system. Doesn't happen too often - maybe 6-10 times in an all-day use.

Naturally, I started looking at the mods/zmax thread to see what are the potential issues. Saw some button issues, unit staying on long after button is released, uneven display windows, etc.

Besides the button thing, the only thing I'm worried about is the spring issue. Seems like a batch (mine) came with longer springs and there is a concern that it put too much pressure on the centre pin which is just soldered to the circuit board.

Sorry for the paranoia - I want this experience to last!!! Enjoy your zmax!

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I think the clicky-ness of the button has something to do with it. If it goes into the menu or does not fire, I find that is usually due to me having depressed the button at an angle rather than head-on. Does not happen TOO often though.

This has been my experience after having used the Z's since I got it.. sometime about a month and half ago.

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
I think the clicky-ness of the button has something to do with it. If it goes into the menu or does not fire, I find that is usually due to me having depressed the button at an angle rather than head-on. Does not happen TOO often though.

This has been my experience after having used the Z's since I got it.. sometime about a month and half ago.

Dusty,

You cannot imagine how much relief you've given me with your post. I can sleep better tonight -thank you very much. I did suspect it was the angle in which the button was pressed. (More often if I use it 'thumb style'.)

Owe you a drink if we ever meet.

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
Well last night in my exuberance of clickiness I did manage to get the thing to stay firing :D I am not sure how I managed it but something along the lines of taking a haul pressing the buttons, checking the ohms, checking the output, checking the battery, checking the ohms and when I stopped pressing it kept the display lit up and firing. Simply going back to display options stopped it.

Now that I have come down from the rush of the shiny that it is I can start to be objective :)

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
The post issues arise from over tightening your atty/carto onto the device. Forget about getting them flush. Just tighten enough so that they make contact and a wee bit more. If there's a gap, let it remain.

Constant over tightening and pulling up will result in the silicone seal wearing out, and you will start shorting out your device at that point.

pffpffpass

Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Toronto Canada
The post issues arise from over tightening your atty/carto onto the device. Forget about getting them flush. Just tighten enough so that they make contact and a wee bit more. If there's a gap, let it remain.

Constant over tightening and pulling up will result in the silicone seal wearing out, and you will start shorting out your device at that point.

I understand what your saying however I always just screw it on until its snug. Never tighten it as I use alot of carto tanks and am paranoid that i'll spin the tank and the carto won't budge when unscrewing but thanks for your reply. Worse part of it all is, I'll be using my Vivi or Carto for 2 - 3 hours, then out of nowhere, F2 error. Unscrew it, pull the post, put it back on, working again. The again, I did drop my Vmax once... from about 4.5 feet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread