Status
Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Got my spool of bamboo in the mail today. Wow, does it ever make a noticeable difference.

If I had to guess, I'd say it wicks about twice faster than yarn or cotton balls. Which means, smaller coils with a wick that keeps up without drying. Possibly lower resistance too, though I haven't tried that yet. Cleaner taste than the yarn, but I might have had crappy yarn.

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
I think it lasts longer than cotton and is more slightly more forgiving with "dry burns", but the kind I had sort of had a "woody" taste to it so I still prefer the cotton for wicks, but I've only tried one type of bamboo so I'm no expert.

I've heard "cheesecloth" is the hardest to work with but is the best tasting of all the "alternative" wick material?

Norman

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
I use a heavy duty paperclip to wrap coils. I bought a couple different wicking materials about a week ago but haven't tried them yet. I'll mess around with it tomorrow. I am definitely boiling first. So depending on how long the drying time is, I might not get around to rewicking tomorrow.

I'd been using cotton embroidery thread. It seemed to gunk up quickly. So the last few days, it's been cotton ball fluff.

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA
I don't know what my favorite cotton type is. I've been using yarn also (worsted.) I pull the 4-play parts apart into 4 separate strands before threading it (to make up for any errors in my coil builds :ohmy: and hopefully make contact equally with all coil wraps.) I also like the rolled cotton and cotton gauze (sort of the same thing), but the gauze and cotton balls swell when primed way more than the yarn and it can take you by surprise if you haven't used those types in awhile.

HA!

Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread