2nd time my credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondie1964

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is second time my credit card number, been stolen in three months!
I only use one credit card of mine to make online purchases for ecigarette items.
And in three months , Its been stolen twice.

Anyone having issues with card numbers being stolen?
Are the ecig sites safe? I shop at about four of them.

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
NY
Mine has been stolen a few times- it just happens. The ecig sites are as safe as anything else- maybe even a little safer because they're typically newer and use newer security protocols. The one time my card was stolen it wasn't from a vaping site- it was from a company with an older system that had my card on file. I don't know how they got it the other two times. It could have been a server in a restaurant for all I know. Stealing credit card numbers is pretty easy.

I have one card I use online- it's not linked to anything, and I only put enough money in that account to cover the purchases I'm planning to make.

KuroCz

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2012
east coast
When was the last time you checked your pc for virii? Your computer can be compromised in a lot of ways, it's not neccessarily ecig vendors, unless it's some shady url you can only access with a special handshake and it doesn't say https://. Your question is too vauge to simply say 'yeah they're safe'. Asking you where you shop would be irresponsible. Some detective work would be in order with your bank, along with scanning your system with good av tools (not norton or mcclaffy).

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
Yeah, it may behoove you to get a prepaid debit card from wallyworld or a check cashing place specifically for online purchases. ACE express, for example. Usually you can pick between a monthly fee to the tune of ten bucks a month for unlimited transactions or a per-transaction fee of about a dollar, which is ideal if you're just picking up some juice and cartos once or twice a month.

Since we have a credit union as opposed to a bank i believe we have a little more in the way of security, though really I should reload my ACE card and start using it again.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Credit Card theft doesn't "just happen". The reason you're getting your credit card number stolen is most likely to do with your computer not being secure due to keyloggers on your system (not the websites you are using). If you have a wireless router (i.e. wifi in your house) make sure you set a WEP passkey on it. Second of all, I want you to use google right now and type "Download SuperAntiSpyware" install, update and run that. Then when it's done I want you to uninstall it. Now I want you to type "Download Spyware Terminator" install, update and run a scan with that. Remove what's found and uninstall that. After all that, if you don't have a reliable or permanent antivirus system on your computer google "Download AVG Free" and install that.

The reason you want to uninstall these programs after you use them (with the exception of AVG) is because they take up your computers memory resources while offering you no benefit for doing so. Download, install, update, use them, and get rid of them whenever you have a problem instead to get the most out of your computer. You should do this at least once a year.

If ever you are asked if you want to install additional 3rd party software (like with Adobe Flash for example offering you McAfee scans) ALWAYS DECLINE. READ YOUR CHECKBOXES.

Lastly, type "Windows Update" in your search bar of your start button and click that and make sure you have all the updates for your computer. Optional updates ARE optional, but in the vast majority of cases they are safe to install and will not wreck your computer.

If you have any questions PM me, this is what I do for a living. I am a professional. I'll put the bill on your tab.

blondie1964

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Pittsburgh
Credit Card theft doesn't "just happen". The reason you're getting your credit card number stolen is most likely to do with your computer not being secure due to keyloggers on your system (not the websites you are using). If you have a wireless router (i.e. wifi in your house) make sure you set a WEP passkey on it. Second of all, I want you to use google right now and type "Download SuperAntiSpyware" install, update and run that. Then when it's done I want you to uninstall it. Now I want you to type "Download Spyware Terminator" install, update and run a scan with that. Remove what's found and uninstall that. After all that, if you don't have a reliable or permanent antivirus system on your computer google "Download AVG Free" and install that.

The reason you want to uninstall these programs after you use them (with the exception of AVG) is because they take up your computers memory resources while offering you no benefit for doing so. Download, install, update, use them, and get rid of them whenever you have a problem instead to get the most out of your computer. You should do this at least once a year.

If ever you are asked if you want to install additional 3rd party software (like with Adobe Flash for example offering you McAfee scans) ALWAYS DECLINE. READ YOUR CHECKBOXES.

Lastly, type "Windows Update" in your search bar of your start button and click that and make sure you have all the updates for your computer. Optional updates ARE optional, but in the vast majority of cases they are safe to install and will not wreck your computer.

If you have any questions PM me, this is what I do for a living. I am a professional. I'll put the bill on your tab.

Does using virtial keyboard work or help?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
What works is using a pre-paid debit card and or 2nd account or some such AND ONLY FUNDING IT WHEN YOU WANT TO MAKE A PURCHASE. If they do steal the CC... there's little to no money in the account to steal. Of course, take all the other precautions and check your system.

Small processors have lots of security holes. Also, you can be hit by random generators, hacking of big cc processors, random CCV generators, etc. So.... don't fund it.

IMO there seems to be something all too coincidental with e-cig purchases, (maybe other types of small internet vendors too) and CC fraud. More than "normal" levels. So don't fund it. It may cost you $3.00 a month or something to have the "extra" card. But worth it IMO. 99.9% of vendors are probably pretty secure. But who knows.

:2c:

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
A pre-paid option is a great way to go.

But, it happens...you never know when. In June my debit card was frauded, up in Indiana I think (I live in Florida), nope, I wasn't up there !
Ok...got a new card issued, got it approved.
Went to the grocery store...dang card was declined ! DH paid for groceries with his card.
Got home & called the bank. Seems there were $600 of debits against it already, and the bank had put a block on the card since it was out of my normal range of usage.
I had never even used that card.
They scan by blocks of numbers till they find a number that will accept and then run with it.

So...now I have another new card !

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
This is slightly OT, but since there were a big group of vapers that get together there once a month, I'll say it. At the place we were at, a sports bar and restaurant, we paid our tab with a debit card, and signed the dotted line, and in the tip line, our very unfriendly server gave herself a $3 tip( I didn't give her one because she was horrible serving us) and I know this because our bill was $26.47, and our bank statement said $30.47. I'll still go to our vaping get togethers, but we will just get water. Better for vaping than Sprite anyway.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
This is slightly OT, but since there were a big group of vapers that get together there once a month, I'll say it. At the place we were at, a sports bar and restaurant, we paid our tab with a debit card, and signed the dotted line, and in the tip line, our very unfriendly server gave herself a $3 tip( I didn't give her one because she was horrible serving us) and I know this because our bill was $26.47, and our bank statement said $30.47. I'll still go to our vaping get togethers, but we will just get water. Better for vaping than Sprite anyway.

I'm low maintenance, but if I am so displeased with the service I don't want to leave a tip, i write NO TIP FOR YOU OBSCENITY in that line.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL

All good advice except WEP. WEP is so old and outdated. WPA, and preferably the more robust WPA2 is what should be used these days. Most modern routers will allow for the use of both WPA and WPA 2. And a good password of course. :)

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
I'm low maintenance, but if I am so displeased with the service I don't want to leave a tip, i write NO TIP FOR YOU OBSCENITY in that line.

The bad thing about it was I left the tip line empty on purpose because she was awful. I think the only reason she works there is because, well, I won't say it here. From now on, I will write, "no tip" on that line..and as big as I possibly can.

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
Don't use debit cards for unfamiliar transactions. Such as a new websites that you've never dealt with before. Use a credit card. Debit cards uses liquid assets whereas credit cards uses credit. If there is a fraudulent charge on a debit card, the real money you have is gone for the time being whereas a credit card only uses your "fake" money. If you can use a debit card to buy, why not use the credit card for more security? I mean, if you can afford to buy it with your real money why not "borrow" it for the time being and pay later when you're content on the purchase. This country is built on credit. Your credit is gold. Credit you never use will never increase. Your worth is valued with how much "credit" you have. --2cents and some change...

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
The bad thing about it was I left the tip line empty on purpose because she was awful. I think the only reason she works there is because, well, I won't say it here. From now on, I will write, "no tip" on that line..and as big as I possibly can.

You should always at minimum write in a total in the bottom line. I generally tip in cash, so I'll write CASH and then the total.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Credit card fraud does just happen. The most recent cases are large scale involving theft of millions of credit card numbers from the very transaction processing centers that all card activity moves though when purchases are made. This isn't necessarily a problem on your computer and no reason to blame a merchant. This is big bucks swindling going on and these hackers are after sheer quantity when it comes to stealing card data. The way they get that is to hack transaction processing centers, not individual computers or relatively small merchants.

Unfortunately there is too much behind the scenes, "secret society" stuff going on in the credit card industry. It is obviously bad press for VISA, Master Card etc. for information about a massive security breach to get out and the industry tries to maintain as tight a lid as possible on such stories. Agreements between the likes of Master Card and your issuing bank have non disclosure clauses. Your bank will be issued a list of "compromised" card numbers, but your bank cannot tell you why, when or how your account number was compromised.

That is not to say you should not do everything you can to protect yourself. Virus and malware scans are important. I don't think it's a good idea to let any site store your credit card info "for faster checkout processing" either. But in this day of smarter electronic thieves - and a credit card industry very slow to crawl into the 21st century - you won't find a simple answer to what happened if your credit card is compromised.

Monitor your accounts. And at least rest assured that in the majority of cases your issuing bank knows your card might be compromised and put it on a "watch list" long before you see a problem. Unfortunately with most banks that is all they will do - watch. It's less expensive for them to monitor for and flag suspicious activity should it show up on a compromised account, than to be pro-active and issue new account numbers and cards as a preemptive strike. Either way, you won't have to pay. It's still a pain having to deal with the matter of new cards and account numbers, but you won't be responsible for the fraud.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I can attach a virtual single-use CC number called "Shop Safe" to my regular CC account. I assign it an upper $$ limit (a few $$ above what I'm going to spend) and an expiration date (usually 2 months) and give that to whomever I'm buying from.

This virtual CC has no service charge and the purchase shows up on my regular CC statement.

I'll never purchase anything on the web without using it.

You might want to check your CC company and see if they offer anything similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread