A Little Rant - ohm's law is not a power calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
So my question is as follows. We use P=(V^2)/R for our uses. This is derived from Watt's Law, P=VI and a variation of Ohm's Law I=V/R, so we can replace the unknown I and solve for P. So I guess it would be more correctly called Watt's (or The Power) Law, but we still use Ohm's Law to come up with the variation that we use. I guess those calculators should be called Ohm's/Watt's Law Calculators. Would this satisfy everyone?

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Harry Hardon must be soooo proud of this thread!
lol.gif

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Joule's law (electronics) -- Encyclopedia Britannica
André-Marie Ampère - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So?

It's so related/interchangeable with Ohm's discoveries that we group them in shorthand. I do concede that we're short-changing Joule when we say that. Ampère too I guess. And don't forget Michael Faraday. I guess we should add Tesla too, since we usually end up converting A/C to D/C, if for nothing else, to charge batteries.

BTW....there ARE posts that mention Joule. However, mostly people relate to ohms due to the ohm rating of their atomizers. And voltage due to VV devices. So....meh. The common laws are often mentioned as a working set.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Science evolves over time. Gravity is no longer just an apple falling from a tree, but it has remained a Law of Physics none the less.

Not for me! I don't subscribe to Newton. Instead, I subscribe to Einstein. Space is pushing me down, "gravity" is not pulling me down.... In fact, I reject the idea of "down" altogether and subscribe to George Zweig on that.... :p

Now the real question is: How do I explain my e-cig with quarks rather than power as used in the P calculations of ohms law? :confused:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
Germany
So my question is as follows. We use P=(V^2)/R for our uses. This is derived from Watt's Law, P=VI and a variation of Ohm's Law I=V/R, so we can replace the unknown I and solve for P. So I guess it would be more correctly called Watt's (or The Power) Law, but we still use Ohm's Law to come up with the variation that we use. I guess those calculators should be called Ohm's/Watt's Law Calculators. Would this satisfy everyone?

Nope... there's no such thing as Watt's Law. The unit of power is named after James Watt for his work with the steam engine. He was long dead by the time of Ohm and Joule's work with electricity. You could call the P = I x V formula Joule's law, but that's not very common. The "power law" is problematic, because that's already used for something else in statistics. I'd just call it something like "Ohm's Law and Power Calculator".

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Dear ECF members.
I was just reading this thread because I was considering getting a VV/VW device and I heard I would get a better vaping experience if I had one of these devices. I have to say im more than a little confused by what I have just read...

Respectfully, you are probably browsing the wrong thread for this kind of information. This information is mostly applicable to mechanical mods, and high output variable voltage devices. This is a thread full of tech junkies and engineers debating over the names and usage of equations that are probably not applicable to you regarding your choice of a vv/vw device.

I'm not trying to kick you out of the thread or bash you in the slightest. If you would like vv/vw device info, by all means, shoot me a PM. Myself and other members would be more than happy to help. But this stuff is advanced beyond even me, but the so called "ohms laws" would be a good thing for you to look in to. Baditude has numerous blogs that would help clear your confusion.

Regards,
brickfollett

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
^^^ I know sorry. My post was just a joke, thought it might make people smile a bit during the debate. I think I have learnt some more by reading though.

Haha well nevermind then! Yeah I hope no newbies are reading this. Their head might explode lol. I don't even get half of it, but I know how it works, what to do and what not to do.

That's all that's important right?

Hijack

Verified Member
May 7, 2014
Bournemouth, U.K
Haha well nevermind then! Yeah I hope no newbies are reading this. Their head might explode lol. I don't even get half of it, but I know how it works, what to do and what not to do.

That's all that's important right?

That was my thought when I wrote that. 'Someone looking to understand VV/VW will just go AAAAAHHHH where's the exit.:laugh:

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
That was my thought when I wrote that. 'Someone looking to understand VV/VW will just go AAAAAHHHH where's the exit.:laugh:

Lol yeah, my impression was that you had an Ego battery or something and I was like "whats this guy doin here?"

You should see me explaining VV to customers at my local vape shop I lurk at. It's like a completely new concept to them and a big decision going from an ego to an ego twist. Then the employee shows them their Evic and VTR and their heads explode. Also the employees do quite the subpar job of explaining what it does, and how it improves the vape. I stay out of it at that point so as not to undermine the employees, but I'll tell you that I've come to the solution of "why is my Protank II not working?" or "Why is my ce4 leaking?" alot quicker than the employees have. Heck I even replaced the employees mini protank II's silica flavor wicks with cotton ones for them and they're like WHOA!

Good times, good times

CKCalmer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
My mancave
We should go about this from a different angle...

If the focus is to determine which is an appropriate name for the power/voltage/current/resistance online calculators we vapers use so often, how about we give them a name that is more reflective of their goal rather than their source?

The HOWTOAVOIDBURNINGYOURFACEOFF Calculator

...or is that a bit too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread