A question for chemists about eLiquid production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
I understand what I am asking and what I intend on doing.
I do not need a 'nanny' post stating I should not do it.
I highly discourage others from looking into this route
unless they have a firm grasp of laboratory procedures.
The path I am looking to take with eliquid would easily
kill your loved ones, your pets, or you if mishandled.[/B]
:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Ok, that said, a goal plan for the chemists to understand the question...

I'm looking into producing my own unflavored eliquid. Once I can establish a best method, then I will look into flavorings. As per my goal with the unflavored eliquid, I would like a means to produce a liquid with consistent, quantifiable amounts. For this, I'm going to need an eLiquid base, which is easy enough, however adding nicotine appears to create a problem.

After researching various patent sites, chemistry papers, and even hit and miss on various forums and blogs, I think it would definitely be in my best interest, where consistent and quantifiable are concerned, to forgo extraction of nicotine. There are plenty of labs that have it on their indicies, and if I can obtain USP Pharmaceutical Grade nicotine, I would be able to easily control mixtures.

Now, the question, as I've done quite a bit of research now, and I think I've narrowed it down...

It appears CAS#29790-52-1 or N1175 (Nicotine Polacrilex) or CAS#54-11-5 or S2680 (Nicotine) are going to be the options, however I'm at a loss as to which is going to be the best nicotine additive. I can find no solubility data on the first option. The last two are stated to come in a 'solution' but no manufacturer states what solution or ratios are. Nicotine Polacrilex has several available suppliers that rate it USP grade and available in anywhere from a 10% to 40% aqueous solution, so it definitely looks to be my best bet.

Do you chemists agree with my selection? I'd rather have it clarified by a chemist here who knows more about the various forms of nicotine.

markule

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Iowa, USA
While not specifically experienced with nicotine, I have a masters degree in chemistry, just so you know...Some quick research indicates that nicotine polacrilex is nicotine PLUS something. The CAS number also lists nicotine salicylate, which would be nicotine plus salicylate, or the base form of salicylic acid, which means the nicotine would be positively charged (http://chembiofinder.cambridgesoft....SearchCriteriaValue=29790-52-1&CurrentIndex=0). Some references indicate it's nicotine plus either a resin or polymer. (nicotine polacrilex). Either way, while I couldn't say it would be bad, since it is specifically what's in nicorette gum and noted as formulated for oral absorption, it is more than you need. Nicotine is all you need, so I'd recommend the straight nicotine.

$.02

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
Since its not something I'd want to post here, due to the danger of what I'm looking for.. I'll just suggest begin your searching with CAS numbers. The reason I was somewhat cryptic and provided numbers rather than name (where I could.. two didn't have CAS numbers) in my original post is simply because what I'm looking for is simply not something most people should be looking for. Those who fully understand the danger involved generally also know how to find suppliers.

If you're looking to just make some eJuice for your own use, I highly recommend looking into the various threads using PG or VG to extract the flavor and nicotine from various snus, snuff, and rolling tobaccos. I'd post a link, but the forums won't let me yet (says I can't post links to other sites, even though it's this site... go figure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread