Anyone test Japanese cotton with vs taking off the "compressed layers"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diyguy

May 30, 2015
I noticed in Buttkicker's YT videos he removes one surface layer, then spends a lot of effort combing out the cotton after inserting it into the coil. It seems to me that removing BOTH outer layers would accomplish the same thing more easily and quickly, and all the meticulous combing could be minimized.

I've been cutting my strips slightly wider, then removing both outer layers, rolling a bit, and have been satisfied with the results. I can't say objectively if it performs better but it's certainly quicker, easier, and performs just as well as leaving one or both outer layers on.

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    I was sort of hoping someone else had noticed a difference or done a better test so I wouldn't have to lol. Like you, I can't tell if any perceived difference is imagination. One thing I did notice is that for some attys, leaving the layer on is better because it helps to keep the wick end fibers from getting matted during assembly. But then for others, taking it off seems better.

For the water test, I used red. All samples (each about an inch long and suspended vertically with a wire coil at the center) wicked the water "instantly" (or faster than I could measure by eye anyway). If blue wicks faster I need to add some blue to my juices lol. ;)
    Could you record it at a high frame rate so we can watch it in slow motion?

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2015
    DC Metro area
    I remove both outer layers. When I first started with my STM it was just easier to get nice fluffy ends out of my coils that way. Now it has simply become a habit. I cut a strip a touch wider than the ID of my coil, pull the skins off, twist the end and thread it through. always worked good for me so i don't change it.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    Haven't had time to do any more testing but I have noticed when leaving the outer layers on that if I run my fingers down the wick a few times before wicking a coil, the outer layers soften and fluff up a good bit. Just another observation. Further testing may require outer layers off, outer layers on and outer layers softened and fluffy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread