Battery charger issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyMoon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
United States
I have a generic/universal charger for my 18650s. The indicator light is supposed to turn red when it's charging and green when it's done. So I have an 18650 in my bolt and I'm getting no vapor...battery needs charging, put it in the charger, plug it in and the light comes on green and stays green. what the heck is with this thing?

I know I have the battery in the charger correctly, they charged fine the first 2 times each (I have 2 batteries). I've been using this battery for 2 days so I know it's got to be dead by now. Any suggestions?

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
If you have a multimeter then it's best to see what the voltage on the battery. When a batt comes off the charger, it should be around 4.17-4.19V. The problem with cheap/generic chargers is that they might not follow the recommended charging method for li-ion batteries. Some, in fact overcharge your batteries which can make it very unsafe.

I would recommend getting a better charger. If you don't want to spend too much then an XTAR WP2 II is a good one to get. It's both affordable and has a near CC/CV charging method. Best bang for your buck out there IMO. Some even call it the poor man's Pila.

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
I agree with the above post.. Get a charger that is better then a generic... I had a multifire trustfire( something like that) when I went into a e-cig store I got a different charger that is for imr type batteries. Chargers are 1 of the things like batteries that should be invested in. I had 1 cable go bad and it was very scary

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Put the battery in the charger and roll it. A couple of my el-cheapo chargers don't always make good contact upon first putting a battery in them. They look like they do, but they'll do the same thing and no red light until I roll the battery a little bit.

The contacts on the battery or the charger could also be dirty. Alcohol on a q-tip will clean them up (unplug the charger before cleaning).

Or, you got a bad battery. Or you have a bad charger. Vape for a few minutes on the other battery and try it on the charger to see if the light turns red.

Retriever

Moved On
Nov 2, 2011
I would spring for a better charger as others have said. Save up and get a Pila. A good quality charger and good batts are some things you just can't afford to overlook. :)

BTW - As Washvap said, it is always a good practive to use a mutimeter. They are inexpensive, and they let you know if you have a potential battery problem.

Last edited:

SunnyMoon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
United States
I'll be getting a multimeter next pay. I'll look into better batteries and a charger. I have TrustFire batteries right now and a generic charger for 18650s and a few other types. Right now a $50 charger just isn't doable.
quite frankly I think there's something wrong with the electrical system in my apartment, like there's more than 110 volts coming into the outlets. All kinds of chargers (battery, cell phone etc) get HOT when they're charging.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
You sure that your Carto/Atty just isn't making contact?

There should be a Small Gap between the PV and the Carto/Atty. If there isn't, then the enter Pole of the Carto/Atty might Not be making Contact with your PV's Center Pole.

That's what I was thinking. I use cheapie chargers and have for some time. More often than not, I find the problems not with the battery when I have a problem.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
If you can't afford a Pila. Like I had mentioned with my earlier post. This is a very solid charger for the price:

Xtar MP2 II

Here's a review of it:

Review of / Measurement on Xtar WP2 II charger

I'll be getting a multimeter next pay. I'll look into better batteries and a charger. I have TrustFire batteries right now and a generic charger for 18650s and a few other types. Right now a $50 charger just isn't doable.
quite frankly I think there's something wrong with the electrical system in my apartment, like there's more than 110 volts coming into the outlets. All kinds of chargers (battery, cell phone etc) get HOT when they're charging.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's what I was thinking. I use cheapie chargers and have for some time. More often than not, I find the problems not with the battery when I have a problem.

I'm with you MickeyRat.

Sometimes the Micoscope goes down on one thing and we forget to see others.

A Multi-Meter wil tell if the Battery has Voltage. But If a Person doesn't have a DMM that they should look at All the Componetnts in the Circuit.

Could be that the Battery just needs a Good Old Fashion Pole Lefting.

That, or that the Carto/Atty needs it's Center Pole Lowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread