Deployment Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clem68W

Dec 29, 2009
Hawaii
Hi all,
I'm a new 510 user, and have groped around trying to find what works for me. So far so good. My PT is improved almost immediately, and I feel my lungs working better, it's rather amazing.

My biggest obstacle facing me now is the military. I'm just wondering if there are any other military vapers out there and what they've done to handle deployment. The Army's a very tobacco-friendly organization, and it is immensely hard to avoid using them while under the stress of training/deployment.

I'm mainly worried about keeping my batteries charged, liquids safe, the particulars of keeping an ecig running for extended periods, and how ordering and maintenance work when overseas. How much supply is enough, and how much can be mailed to an APO address?

More immediately, I'm about to go to NTC and I'll be giving my 510 a shakedown cruise, so to speak. Any advice would be appreciated.

FrogHat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Virginia
Your going to need a Mod with extended life......... may I suggest Puresmoker.

Take a look at the Protege........good battery life and much better vape. With the 2 batteries provided you can vape all day. Recharge when you get back from your day in the field (NTC).............and I understand they are some long days!!!

PureSmoker.com - Home of the USA Built PV !!!

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
You might want to consider investing in one of those little solar usb batteries, which can be charged, topped off under any light source, and recharge anything that can be plugged into usb. Heck, you could even use a passthrough directly off most of them.

I agree that the mod is also a good choice if you expect to be out in the field for long periods of time, and you might consider cartomizers (whether on a stock kr808 battery or a mod) IF you can get the hang of refilling them with little fuss/equipment or get them cheaply enough and dispose of them after empty. Complicated mixing is obviously right out, so the more turnkey the better.

Of course, if you have someone stateside willing to do some of the work for you, they can always cram a LOT into those APO flatrate priority mail boxes the post office has now- about the size of a small shoebox for $7 to any APO/FPO address, I believe.

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
I would recommend taking a look at the Janty eGo. It's been the best buy I've made and I couldn't be happier! One battery has lasted me all day, from the time I wake up till midnight and I could have used the same battery the next morning but I always put it on the charger in the morning and use the other one. I can't say enough great things about the eGo, just check it out is all I can say.

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
I would say check the suppliers first, you might find one or two not willing to mail out of the country for whatever reason, you really need a supplier that will have your back if you need to get something when you're away.
I know Puresmoker will mail out to you, they have had a few lgiveaways for our folks serving the country!

Good luck and THANK YOU!!

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I'd also say the eGo..the battery does last a good long time but also for these reasons:
it's fairly small and more the thickness of a cigar and it just feels good in the hand, so it's smaller than most mods (which would be my second choice)..
The atomizer cone on the eGo helps in this situation protect the atomizer to battery connection making it less likely that you could accidentally snap it off..
theres no LED on the tip...it's under the finger and therefore easily concealed..any other model I would suggest something without an led..don't need anything that could help in giving away position..
the supplied charger is a USB charger with a wall adapter but being able to charge usb would be my preference expecially if you can get something like a kensington portable power pack (you could recharge anywhere in theory) mods are nice but thats carrying alot of batteries and chargers for those batteries
as a bonus the eGo uses the 510 atties and it sounds as if you already have some of those..
also with a cheap adapter you can use cartomizers on the eGo and still use the atty cone so you wouldn't have to carry juice..
It's all a trade off but as I see it in the military you want the smallest, slimest, sturdiest, most portable unit..and the eGo wins out in all those trade offs..
As a plus Janty has several shops US, europe, etc..and TW (their version is the tornado) has both US and UK shops..so getting stuff wherever you are shouldn't be an issue

Clem68W

Dec 29, 2009
Hawaii
Yeah, hadn't thought of the LED bid'ness. Stealth vaping takes on a new level in this case. I have been peeking at those mods, I'm just trying to figure out the buy in costs for various models. Some are a little too exorbitant to justify, but then again, 12 months later I'll have plenty of money to worry about the expense. The chuck seems sturdiest, but I'm wondering how the others hold up to violent abuse?

Thanks for all the advice, it's definitely helping me.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Well,
I'm not in your line of work...I am however in an extremely physical skilled trade (I'm an ironworker) ao I'm dealing with moving tons of steel and I-beams, and welding, being up at heights with only 6"-8" widths to walk on, being caught out in all sorts of weather, being outdoors and away from someplace to charge things for 8-10 hours.. so whatever I'm using is prone to all sorts of violent abuses..
And like I said the eGo is really probably the singularly best trade off for form, size and function that is commercially available redily as a stock model to take out into the field..
Failing that the stuff from superTmanufacturing is built like a brick $h[thouse and the mod I've been eyeing most..problem is wait time... the chucks look nice but again 2 week wait time and I guess it's not uncommon for them to accidentally fire up when they are in a pocket due to button placement..and on both of those the atty could be snapped off at the connection and then you're screwed..
Again with the mods it's a whole different type of battery and charger to have to take with you..
Not to mention that with the mods you're pretty much signing yourself up to lock yourself into dripping (well if you're gonna use them in a HV capacity)
So for me I guess I'm looking at the whole scope of what you have to trade off for something else...

searcher

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Bossier City, La
Heres another option for you. Make yourself several nicosticks http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/18409-how-build-nicostick.html . There are several ways to connect the atty. I used this one (I can make several mods and use the same atty connector) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9-pvma-no-more-worries-batt-connectors-7.html . I got my battery threads here AltSmoke | Personal Vaporizers : 510 Threads, 901 Threads, 801 Threads, 401 Threads . Best place to get a charger and batteries is Flashlights, Batteries, etc : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby! . Hope this helps. I know that on deployment you are going to need at least 2 of everything. The hardest part of building it is getting the parts and since the expense is in shipping (except the batteries and charger with free shipping) I just went ahead and got 6 or 7 of everything.

lightinup

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
First, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY! My husband (retired Army) and I live over in the Middle East and so far, with the eliquid, I have not had any problems having it shipped APO AE. I ordered from My Freedom Smokes, around 150 ml and the cost for shipping was $8.95. Now, we are just waiting for our orders on the ecigs! Got Juice......................no PV's!

You may want to check out the Tornado from Totally Wicked. No LED light and the batts are suppose to be good for 6 hours. Nice lookin ecig! Good Luck and Stay Safe!

Last edited:

JKBonin

Moved On
Jan 4, 2010
NH
Yeah, hadn't thought of the LED bid'ness. Stealth vaping takes on a new level in this case. I have been peeking at those mods, I'm just trying to figure out the buy in costs for various models. Some are a little too exorbitant to justify, but then again, 12 months later I'll have plenty of money to worry about the expense. The chuck seems sturdiest, but I'm wondering how the others hold up to violent abuse?

Thanks for all the advice, it's definitely helping me.

I'll throw my $.02 in here.

I suggest the Silver Bullet by Altsmoke. You want tough? You want sturdy? Without question this is it. Rock solid, American made in Ohio. And I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a good clunk on the head with it either! :evil:

Seriously, check out the video reviews on this thing. It is as amazing as it looks. I know lots of folks love the chuck, but that button might not fit your.. um... lifestyle overseas. You'll always be carrying it. The Silver Bullet has a recessed button that will never fire on it's own, and will never dig into you if you end up crawling along holding your weapon. Plus, a biggie for night ops, the Silver Bullet has no LED.

It will take the 18650 3000mah battery. It'll last you 1.5 to 2 days of vaping until it starts getting old. There is a kit available that includes AC charger, car charger & 2 batts for like $35. (I can post a link if you want. Just send me a pm) These batts will fit some other mods to, if you choose something else.

Here's a review done by Rob/terraphon I think you might like. It's a fun review if nothing else!

YouTube - Initial impression of the Silver Bullet by AltSmoke (part 1)

YouTube - Initial impression of the Silver Bullet by AltSmoke (Part 2)

YouTube - This is a review of the Silver Bullet from AltSmoke

GL. Pick the Mod you feels fits you best. And most of all...

THANK YOU FOR SERVING!

** No, I don't work for them. But I sure as hell LOVE my SB! :thumbs:

Edit - That review was done 6 months ago. They've been avail for quite some time now. :)

Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Ah, nevermind, just watched the review, doesn't look like ya mess around with batteries like other mods. Still a sexy beast, though.
Right..it isn't an actual mod...it's a stock unit, and thats why I like it for that reason, easily replaceable and obtainable parts..but kinda like a souped up 510...it uses 510 atties..but the batteries are bigger around (about the size of a AA battery) so it kinda feels like a stubby cigar in the hand...and the batteries are lasting me 10-12+ hours...other nice thing is not only does the atty cone help protect the atty/battery connection but it actually improves the flavor and vapor some because of the way it changes the airflow...

First, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY! My husband (retired Army) and I live over in the Middle East and so far, with the eliquid, I have not had any problems having it shipped APO AE. I ordered from My Freedom Smokes, around 150 ml and the cost for shipping was $8.95. Now, we are just waiting for our orders on the ecigs! Got Juice......................no PV's!

You may want to check out the Tornado from Totally Wicked. No LED light and the batts are suppose to be good for 6 hours. Nice lookin ecig! Good Luck and Stay Safe!

The Tornado from TW is the same thing as the janty eGo..there is an LED..but it's the manual button that is the LED so you block it with your finger..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread