Do you increase the flavor % if you increase VG % in your recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardimen

Jan 13, 2014
usa
Hi folks. I made this 10ml recipe this morning and it tastes very good to me:

Ube Macapuno Vanilla Ice Cream
Ube (Oober Goober) 4%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (Signature) 4%
Coconut (Capella) 4%
EM 1% or 2 drops per 10ml

60/40 PG/VG mix with 4mg Nic

I steeped it only 2 8-minute cycles on my UC. There's a little bit of harshness so I want to try adding more VG.

Ube Macapuno is a Filipino ice cream flavor that taste really yummy!

Anyway, I want more vapor so I want to increase the VG percentage to 60%. I figured I would add 1% to each flavor (except EM) for each 10% increase in VG so I ended up with this new recipe:

Ube Macapuno Vanilla Ice Cream
Ube (Oober Goober) 6%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (Signature) 6%
Coconut (Capella) 6%
EM 1% or 2 drops per 10ml

40/60 PG/VG mix with 4mg Nic

Does this makes sense to you guys? Is this normally what you would do or do you use the same flavor percentage regardless of the PG/VG mix percentage?

Last edited:

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
I find that it makes sense to note what kind of pg/vg ratio the author of a recipe uses.
Found out the hard way, that when I follow some recipes in my usual 70/30 or 65/35 ratio, it ends up being horribly over flavored if the original author was running a mostly vg final mix.

To your question though...
Its not a giant difference from a 60/40 to a 40/60, so I wouldnt bump it by fifty percent like you're suggesting... thats a giant leap jumping from 12% total flavorings to 18%. I would maybe try bumping those three flavors by .5 % at a time each. and steep longer btw on the 40/60

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Be cautious/conservative with upping the flavor percentages! Those of us that use primarily/solely VG, rarely find it necessary to up the flavor percentages. VG is thicker, and it does seem to take longer for some flavors to 'steep into' the mix sometimes. You'll find a lot of us VGers that post that the "VG needs more flavor" thing is just not the case. Ymmv, of course.

hardimen

Jan 13, 2014
usa
I suspect that EM may dull flavors as well. Does anyone use sucralose instead? Thanks!

When I increased my VG %, I increased the other flavors except for EM so in my case I believe it was the VG that dulled the flavor. In my short DIY experience, I found that TFA Smooth (even at 1 drop per 10ml) dulls the flavor so I don't like using it on my recipes. On the other hand, I use EM a lot more than sucralose or any sweetener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread