Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Nice video...

So it doesn't look like the wick in That particular E2 carto design seem to burn when Dry. Let’s hope that the new revisions all come with that type of wick. What is the wick made out of?

BTW – Just as a test. What would happen if you do the Exact same test on a wet wick?

It would be interesting to see what the results of your test with a wick that,

Has been soaked in pure PG for 30 minutes
Has been soaked in pure VG for 30 minutes
Has been soaked in PG/VG for 30 minutes
Has been soaked in PG/VG flavorless, colorless e-juice for 30 minutes
Has been soaked in PG/VG flavored, colorless e-Juice for 30 minutes
Has been soaked in PG/VG flavored, colored e-Juice for 30 minutes

Has been soaked in pure PG for 24 Hours
Has been soaked in pure VG for 24 Hours
Has been soaked in PG/VG for 24 Hours
Has been soaked in PG/VG flavorless, colorless e-Juice for 24 hours
Has been soaked in PG/VG flavored, colorless e-Juice for 24 hours
Has been soaked in PG/VG flavored, colored e-Juice for 24 hours

If the wick material isn’t melting, then it would seem that the candidate for the bad taste is the “gunk” on the wick. So the effort shouldn’t be concentrated on the wicking material but finding out what is in the gunk, what makes it form, how to stop gunk from forming.

My belief is that Colorless, Flavorless, Pure PG based juices will form less “gunk”. They will also be less likely to make an E2 carto (or atty) develope a bad taste than High VG, colored and flavored juice.

If that is the case, then there might not be a solution for people using High VG Colored and Flavored juices with the current E2 design in regards to eliminating bad tastes.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW – The tests I listed above, and many more, under various conditions is what a decent R&D department of a company does BEFOR a product like these E2 are released to production.

If R&D finds that the current design of a carto can not be made to work properly and not develop bad tastes with say High VG, the marketing department can put a disclaimer stating such on the product.

That way the producer of the carto only loses half of your potential market, the High VG users, and not a large percentage of a market.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de

That is, if I am very very polite about it, one odd 510 wick, so forgive me if I am going to test the other half of the video experiment myself, too, if and when I can get newer revisions. Not to mention that advertising that relies on slandering other products isn't exactly convincing, either.

Any idea which revision those cartos were?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why do you Allways come up with some unproductive remark like this?

... Not to mention that advertising that relies on slandering other products isn't exactly convincing, either. ...

This isn’t advertising and I don’t see how it is slanderous. I don’t think these kind of comments are needed to someone who is nice enough to spend the time and effort to make a video.

And they sure are Not Productive towards solving or even understanding what could be the cause of a Carto or Atty developing a bad taste.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
No offense taking since i have no clue what you meant by that.

im not dissing the wick or atomizer nor am i dissing the e2 which i love to death.

the wick thats in a normal atmomizer is usually primed with fluid. those rarely come out in one peace and are usually stranded, i can make more videos to show you since i have like 50 regular,lr and hv attys here.

the wick in the regular atomizer from eastmall and nhaler to me IS NOT THE SAME as the wick in the e2. I never got that nasty taste on the e2 like I have in a normal atty.

Now zoidman, I did that test for you as well yesterday but did not record it but will if youd like. same results, no burning at all.
I believe depending on juice some have sugars that gunk and some others have other natural flavors that gunk up, my halo juice doesnt gunk up neither does other clear juices.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Just seeing these posts now, but last night after seeing the video Alex posted earlier, I decided to cut open a E2 (not sure what revision) three holes and looks exactly like the one in the video - I attempted to burn it dry and got no burning, then soaked it in VG (DV Doppio Espresso - which tends to run dark and can have some suspended particles - looking to gunk it up ;-)

I didn't wait/let soak for 30 min. like zoidman suggests, but soak it well, and just put it under a torch type lighter for quite a while and it darkened up and the ejuice smelled burnt. I then soaked it in 151 Vodka and the wicking came clean to white. I'm guessing what the guy smelled in the video was burnt ejuice/gunk not the wicking. Basically same result as in badkolo's vid.

I have another on my Wetbox where I'm using PG - TW's 'French Pipe' is back to it's old flavoring from a year ago, btw. Quite good for those who never tried it. Once I get enough vaping time on that one I'll cut it apart and check. I don't expect PG to be any different through, but we'll see.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
BTW – The tests I listed above, and many more, under various conditions is what a decent R&D department of a company does BEFOR a product like these E2 are released to production.

If R&D finds that the current design of a carto can not be made to work properly and not develop bad tastes with say High VG, the marketing department can put a disclaimer stating such on the product.

That way the producer of the carto only loses half of your potential market, the High VG users, and not a large percentage of a market.

On the other hand, we're already aware that the results of Microcig R&D resulted in a recommendation to only use Dekang or Ecopure.

So, 'for example', if you or someone finds that cantelope or zuchini in Dekang gunks it up using their batteries, then I could understand asking their R&D to help.

But even so, the gunk is not a problem, they already suggested in every single 5-pack not to refill more than 4 times, that means 14 cents per carto per full use, and it's more than reasonable. After 4 refills, I should throw it away and grab the next.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
On the other hand, we're already aware that the results of Microcig R&D resulted in a recommendation to only use Dekang or Ecopure.

So, 'for example', if you or someone finds that cantelope or zuchini in Dekang gunks it up using their batteries, then I could understand asking their R&D to help.

But even so, the gunk is not a problem, they already suggested in every single 5-pack not to refill more than 4 times, that means 14 cents per carto per full use, and it's more than reasonable. After 4 refills, I should throw it away and grab the next.

John, but this is exactly what I'm doing with my regular cartomizers and after the recent improvements in their construction I don't burn anything anymore, honest. All I get is a funky taste after 4-5 refills and then I just throw them out.

I do take them apart compulsively, as you probably know, and all the burning I detect, if any, is from the gunked up unvaporized eliquid residue.

I tried one CE2 cartomizer and found it to be very cumbersome, to say the least. It's very difficult to just fill and vape, like other cartos. And I don't have the time and the desire to do all the mods and fiddling necessary to make them work.

All I'm willing to do, ATM, is to grab my 510 carto, take the cap off with my fingernail, drip some juice in and have it ready. I don't want a new hobby. I need something that is as easy as a cig to use. Why are those cartos made so user unfriendly? And who, honestly, has the time and wherewithal to mess with a syringe every few minutes the carto needs to be refilled? What about folks with disabilities, limited motor skills, or poor eyesight? People who work or are on the go?

I'm all for wicks that don't burn, but this version has very little appeal to me in its current form.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
Katya, that's fine, they sell regular cartos too, on the same site (different page tho, click on edition 1), if that's your cup of tea.

But anyway, the CE2 tips I provided are only until they hopefully make one of the side holes 3/64" big. I only fix them to use the dripper tip bottle until they start making the side hole the proper size.

Syringes for filling are history. (So is the ce2 in its current form, of course)

I posted a pic of the dripper tip bottle in the co-op thread.

Last edited:

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
This isnt a knock in any way since i dont knoww hat you or anyone goes through filling a carto, but i did make a video where i refill it.

What i dont understand is when people say these are hard to fill.

With a old style carto you need to pop off the top and either tilt it and fill it with juice form your bottle, you have to dro a few drops at a time so it soaks in the filler so it doesnt spill and leak, am i right??, or you can use a needle and you have to make sure it doesnt overfill either, right??

Im not into the condom method since that also wet the center cardboartd post on some and that gives mes a nasty taste.

Now with the e2, you pop off the cap, tilt it and fill it, same with needle like i did in the video, I dont get how thats more of a hassle then the old style carto.

Now i do agree the older revisions made it difficult becuase the inner cap was glued and was hard to put back, that was becuase of plastic being a little flimsy. So in that regard i agree but now we have stronger plastic and ceramics and the inner cap pops right out.

It takes me half the time to fill the e2 then any carto before it.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Bad and John, I'm not disagreeing with you. I know that those cartos work for you. But you have both read/written close to 3,000 posts on the subject and know more about those cartos than anybody on this planet. And what you're suggesting is more modifications; remove the inner cap (I couldn't do it easily--it was stuck or glued), enlarge the hole, get a special bottle with a special dripper tip... More mods after all the changes?

What are the odds that a person who hasn't followed all those threads here on ECF will ever figure it out? Per manufacturer's specs, you're supposed to use a syringe, and the syringe they provide doesn't even fit.

I've read alot and still couldn't get them to work properly. Too much hassle. An unsuspecting buyer following the manufacturer's directions doesn't stand a chance, IMHO.

They have potential, but I'll eat my hat if within a few months somebody won't introduce a simple and user-friendly version of filler-free cartos with burn-resistant wick that will work out off the box. No mods needed.

I'll be waiting. :D For now, I'm just too lazy to be bothered with all the different editions of CE2 (is it still 2? 5? 9?) and all the modifications and special equipment required. ;)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I think when this is all over a done with that the “gunk” will have Everything to do with it.

Because I think the gunk is what is Causing the problem. It Isn’t the wick that’s burning. I’ve known that for a long time. As long as a carto has the proper wicking material, which it appears these E2 in the video do, that isn’t the issue.

The issue is that that flavorings and coloring do not vaporize the same way as pure PG does. And to make it worse, Pure VG doesn’t vaporize the same way as Pure PG does either.

So what I think is going on is when VG flavored / colored e-Juice is used that un-vaporized compounds deposit on the wicking material. This builds up until the wicking material no longer can pass fresh juice to the atomizer wire. At that point, the atomizer wire starts to Burn “Gunk" instead of vaporizing e-Juice. This is when the user starts to get a bad taste out of an atty or carto.

The concept has been something I have been researching ever since I noticed that atty’s that have their wicking threads removed didn’t get bad tastes with carts for me. I noted that drippers say the same thing.

And then there is the Entire concept of the dry burn. What Exactly does it do. I noticed that Before a dry burn, the atomizer wire and wicking material is Coated in Gunk. But after the burn, the wires were exposed and the wicking material looked fresher. Scottbe(sp?) mentioned “Char” in a post recently. I attempted to steer him into a discussion about char but he didn’t respond. The dry burn Chars the gunk off the wire but more importantly, it Chars the gunk on the wicking material. This allows the Char to be removed exposing fresh wicking material. Which allows e-juice to come into contact with the atomizer wire again. Thus the atomizer wire can vaporize it and the cycle starts all over again.

But up to 2 weeks ago, this was just a mental exercise I was toying with. I needed to do a test. So I bought 10 more eGo Cartomizers.

The first 5 eGo cartomizers I bought all turned bad after 2 or 3 refills. Every single on of them. But some other user that bought them from the same place I did said that theirs didn’t. Why did all of mine go bad when theirs didn’t? I made up 2 DIY batches of e-Juice to do a side by side test with.

One was a Pure PG 24mg base with Caramel (Non Colored), Vanilla (Non Colored) and Cotton Candy (Non Colored).
The other was a 30%PG : 70% 24mg base with Caramel (Colored), Vanilla (Colored) and Cotton Candy (Non Colored). This was the same recipe of the juice that I put in my first 5 eGo cartos. The ones that tasted bad after 2 or 3 refills.

And guess what? The first 2 PG filled eGo cartos are going strong after 7 refills each. No sign of bad taste. One I dissected to see what the atomizer and wicking material looked like. There was Very Little gunk on the atomizer wire and wicking material. And what was there was more oily than sticky. The remaining 3 PG filled cartos I have not used because I want to see what the longer term effects are on them. Similar to buying prefilled.

For the 70% VG filled ones the results were Not So Good. All of the first 3 were bad by the 4th refill. One went bad half way thru the initial fill. The second only lasted 2 refills. The 3rd was getting bad at the end of the 3rd refill and by the 4th it was unusable. Each one when opened had Sticky, Tar like Gunk coating the atomizer wire and wicking material. It is the Gunk that Smells Bad and it is the gunk that Smells Horrible when burn with a lighter. The remaining 2 I guess I will have to try but they can wait.

Since the eGo carto is a similar Hybrid atty/carto design, I see no reason why the results shouldn’t be similar for them. Now these results are far from conclusive but for me, I’m starting to look hard at the base juice and in particular, the coloring / flavoring

I need to do more tests to see effects of coloring / flavoring in PG based e-Juices on Hybrid carto designs. Unfortunately, unlike some members here, I do not have a source of Free juice and Free cartos so testing is Limited to funds on hand.

So like I said earlier, I think when all the information is out in the open, that the gunk will be the Most important thing.

Wouldn’t it be Truly Funny if it came down to something Simple like removing “Brown” coloring from flavoring or using a different Sweetener that would make these cartos (and all atty’s ) bad tasting free and useable by all.

z
_________

BTW – The regular 510 carto I am Vaping on Right Now has been refilled over 25 times and it is hitting like a dream with 70% VG juice.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
With that i fully agree, it is extra work and that doubles the time, I do agree fully.

If the hole was big enough then all this would be moot and thats a issue they need to resolve, i shot off a email to them to repeat this concern.

you are correct when you say we played we these more so for us it is easy and i wasnt thinking about others and for that im sorry.

If they enlarge the hole enough so its easier to fill then that should illiminate the need for removing the inner cap. I wont go into the filling this with a needle argument since no one needs to use a needle, they provide a plastic tube and I have posted links for everyone to see the bottles that can be used. Im going to ask them to supply the bottle that fit thier plastic tube they provide.

I was just making the point that even filling old cartos wasnt the fastest of tasks.

ZOIDMAN:: i have stayed away form vg and dark colored juices(even though i have them and use them occasionaly)
when i first got into vaping i bought every juice out there, u name it i have or tried it. and before doing that i read vg will gunk up, brown juices gunk up and so on.
my experience has been the same and thats why i try to steer away form brown juices and vg.

clear juices always seemed to work better.

Last edited:

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
Katya, there are definitely many things about the e2 that are not really that great.

the alignment of the holes
The two small holes, first of all, cannot be directly over the wick, they must not be aligned in the direction of the coil.

the consistency
I am seeing too many that were put together like this, and it's not good.

having to require a syringe tool
Another thing is having to use a syringe. While it was temporarily tolerated at the workbench to mess with the cartos, I do see that something better than syringes has to be made.

the diameter of one of the side filler holes
The oiler-type of bottles work, but the side hole on the inner cap has to be 3/64" in diameter.

For the people who did in fact remove the inner cap, they can easily make the side hole the proper size, before they put it back. This repair tip is only for the people who already have some e2s, and only until they make the better ones. Hopefully the ceramic versions have a filler hole of the proper size (3/64"). Needles...I mean syringes, are not going to be very great, so with one of the filler holes being the proper size, syringes will hopefully no longer be required.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

ZOIDMAN:: i have stayed away form vg and dark colored juices(even though i have them and use them occasionaly)
when i first got into vaping i bought every juice out there, u name it i have or tried it. and before doing that i read vg will gunk up, brown juices gunk up and so on.
my experience has been the same and thats why i try to steer away form brown juices and vg.

clear juices always seemed to work better.

I'm not saying that "Brown" coloring is the problem. It could be any coloring. Or the flavoring, Any flavoring. But my money is on the VG.

And if it is Flavoring and or VG or Both, it is going to be a long, uphill battle to sell atty style cartos to the masses.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
... it is going to be a long, uphill battle to sell atty style cartos to the masses.

about 20 cents per 1.9ml fill (4 refills or less)(the XL) has the best chance

How about using Dekang to start out with on your research?
It would be great to have a list of the known gunkers, but it really doesn't help me much when I hear that such and such makes their own perfume or custom concoction and what not and gunked up their carto to intolerable proportions?

Also the famous voltage-carto configuration, are you using the standard configuration? (3ohm w/3.7-4.2 battery, etc.)
Starting a list with the proper equipment and world-standard liquid would be very nice, and people could add on their own results and get a big list made hopefully soon.

Last edited:

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
the hold on the side of the inner cap needs to be enlarged and i dont get why it isnt.

i enlarged the holes myself with a dremel myself and it did not leak when inserted properly becuase the mouth peace has its own reservior to hold that juice, turn it upside down and it has a place for juice to go.

Only one hole at 3/64" was enough, bad.
(At least until they close the slots some)

m97rrs.jpg

(WalMart and Lowe's do have them, and you need the small drill bit collets)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread