GC/MS results on flavorings or juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty simple question - has anyone ever ran a GC/MS (gas chromatography/mass spectrometry) on any kind of pre-mixed ejuice or flavoring agents, or even PG, VG or nicotine base to really see just what's in it?

I like to be pretty clinical about things like this. It seems like this is one hobby I'm picking up where it might really help. I'm sure you can be good without too many numbers, but I want optimal, whatever that means to each person.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I would do that if I could afford the equipment. Even to take it to a lab is expensive. It would be nice if it wasn't so cost prohibitive. I do know that some flavor manufactures are doing some extensive testing and posting the results. There are some threads on this so you just need to search.

I find it a bit odd that a flavor "manufacturer" needs to test to find out whats in the thing they "manufactured".

I don't think many vendors actually manufacture their flavorings, but rather get the ingredients elsewhere and mix them to create the flavors. However, companies with labs that actually synthesize/extract their flavorings might want to analyze batches of product to ensure it meets their standards for purity and concentration. In a perfect world, everyone would do that, but not many of us can afford to live in a perfect world.

Pretty simple question - has anyone ever ran a GC/MS (gas chromatography/mass spectrometry) on any kind of pre-mixed ejuice or flavoring agents, or even PG, VG or nicotine base to really see just what's in it?

I like to be pretty clinical about things like this. It seems like this is one hobby I'm picking up where it might really help. I'm sure you can be good without too many numbers, but I want optimal, whatever that means to each person.

I started a thread in the General E-liquid forum about lab results and what is believable or offers actual proof, and raised a few eyebrows and got a couple of negative reactions in the process. You sound like the type that might actually enjoy the discussion. Check it out here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...discussion/582879-trust-reputation-proof.html

Long story short, the only GC/MS analyses you are likely to find are for the nicotine, and some of those you might take with a grain of salt if you are as "persnickety" as me. But there are two that have the guts to actually put their own names on the lab results they provide, thus taking ownership of the results: Nude Nicotine and Inawera.

But good luck finding someone that actually provides credentials for the lab that did the analyses; do let me know if you find any.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread